Detox/Cleaning Fast

Options
I have been feeling very sluggish and not myself (even when I work out) and I think it is from the month hiatus I took recently. I didnt gain any weight back but I just feel blah and I have heard about weekend fasts and "juice diets" that can clease the system and detox the body. I have also seen where Jillian Micheals had a detox and burn kit. Anyone know anything about these or have tried one and had any success? What works best? What is just hype? Help!!! I want my energy back!

Replies

• Phatpatty
    Phatpatty Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I m interested to hear about the Jillian Micheals one as well!!!
    Other than that I have never tried one, I know people who have done them and lost a ton of weight in a few days and felt much much better... I think some are definitely much better than others!! hope someone responds so we know which is best!
  • Amb1976
    Amb1976 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bbonney
    bbonney Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to hear as well :bigsmile:
  • traceytoo
    traceytoo Posts: 163
    Options
    ooh, I'd be interested to hear about this as well ... could do with doing something like that, to clear the system :-))
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I got some land in florida to sell you.

Keeping the body healthy is the best detox. Intestinal cleanses, well, they're just a laxative and you must be careful not to flush out your intestinal flora. Wanna a cleanse the intestines, drink a cup of pickle juice, grab a book, and hold on.
  • vcatmb44
    vcatmb44 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I do the 7 day womens detox called THE CLEANER you can order it online if you dont have a vitamen world in your area that where i get mine. Its all natural it cleanses your lungs, urinary , parasites, heart, kidneys, liver and i cant rremember what else but i t works. I do it at least twice a year and i always lose about 6 ponds in that week. Its all natural, just keep in mind you will go to the bathroom a lot number 1 and 2 hope that helps
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jcsalsa
    jcsalsa Posts: 25
    Options
    check out the book Juicing, Fasting, and Detoxing for Life. It is a great book on how to do detoxing natural way.
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    terrible idea, disagree with this post because this is a healthy web site devoted to healthful practices. disagree completely with this notion in its entirety.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    I have done several detoxes based on the book "21 Pounds in 21 Days". The concept is to give your diegstive system a rest and allow your body to naturally detoxify. You only consume berry drinks, fresh vegetable juices (a big mess and required a juicer and lots of veggies), and vegetable soups that are supposed to be belended (I just cut veggies into tiny pieces otherwise I felt like I was eating baby food). The detox also eliminated alcohol, caffiene and anything other than the juice, soup and berry drinks. You also take a lot of supplements - colon cleanser, enzymes, and either drink "green drinks" or I took the capsules. You drink a ton of water and decaf green tea sweetened with Stevia several times a day. You're doing something about every 1.5 hours whether it's drinking water and tea, taking a supplement or having some juice. The book also suggests other procedures such as colonics, enemas, skin brushing, etc. but I never did any of those. The last time I did it was right before the holidays. I lost 4 pounds in 3 days, which obviously you won't keep off once you resume normal eating. I feel like it gives my body a break from digestion and maybe has a cleansing effect. The book designs the detox for a 3 day mini cleanse, week long or 21 days. I don't see how anyone could do 21 days. It's kind of a lot of work and gets a little expensive initially to buy the juicer and supplements, but they will last you for several mini detoxes if it's something you want to do semi-regularly. I have mixed emotions about the detox, but I have done probably 2 a year for the past couple years so that says something. One downside is b/c you are eating virtually nothing, working out other than leisurely walking is pretty much out of the question. You may want to check the book out or do some online research. I am generally skeptical of the cleansing solutions you buy at the store but I haven't done any research on them. Good luck!
  • ValleyDiva
    Options
    I have done the Jillian Michaels Detox and it worked really well for me. I dropped five pounds and have not gained it back. It really made me feel better. I think it is time to do a detox again.
  • danniglo
    danniglo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! So glad to have a great resource like MFP!
  • salmonpi
    Options
    If you haven't read this NYT article yet, you should. Talks about lots of different products and alternatives.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/28/fashion/28Cleanse.html
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Your digestive track doesn't need a rest, the same way your liver, and your heart don't need rest, detoxes do nothing. Want to clean out your body? Eat cleaner, eat veggies, eat lean proteins, eat naturally grown foods and free range meats, eat them in the right quantities, eat foods rich in antioxidants. Eat whole grains, drink water, plenty of water.

There's no magic formula guys, and no amount of detoxes are going to fix your body if you don't eat healthy. If you do eat healthy you don't need them.