Switching to Maintenance and Heavy Lifting - Need Friends

Options
I started to get serious about getting healthy in March 2014. I’m 5’9” and weighed in at a disturbing and unhealthy 210 lbs. I am now down to 151 lbs. I've been doing bodyweight circuits since April 2014, which has me feeling stronger (I actually managed 3 pull-ups last week!!). I feel like I could lose some more body fat, but at this point I’m ready to switch it up and see how my body responds.

I don’t really care about being skinny anymore. I just want to feel strong and powerful. As such, I’m going to maintenance and starting heavy lifting, both of which scare the hell out of me. I think my TDEE is somewhere between 2200 and 2500. I’m part of the nerd fitness academy and will be following some of its barbell routines.

Basically, I’m looking for some friends to motivate and help me through this change. So if you’re a strong, weightlifting lady who eats over 2000 calories a day and you wouldn't mind helping out a nube, please friend me.

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Hi

Cutting ATM (1680) so I don't fit your calorie criteria but I do lift. 3 pull-ups are awesome btw, I can only manage 1 so far.

Great you're going to hit the barbell but remember you can still get good gains with your bodyweight stuff, as long as you make it progressively harder.

Some great ladies to stalk :laugh: are, JoRocka, usmcmp, HeidiMightyRawr, ILiftHeaveAcrylics, millieleitner (that could easily be spelled wrong) BusyRaeNotBusty, HMVOL off the top of my head
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm all about stalking! :) Thanks for your insight.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress! I like reading the stories on Nerd Fitness from time to time. I lift heavy and am currently doing the Strong Lifts 5x5 program. I'm trying to reduce some body fat so I'm set below 2000 but a lot of the time I get there anyway ;-)

Add me if you want some support. I'm happy to have more friends that lift!
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm maintaining/trying to gain a little and eat about 2,300. I do strength training three times a week. Feel free to add me!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress! I like reading the stories on Nerd Fitness from time to time. I lift heavy and am currently doing the Strong Lifts 5x5 program. I'm trying to reduce some body fat so I'm set below 2000 but a lot of the time I get there anyway ;-)

Add me if you want some support. I'm happy to have more friends that lift!

Forgot about you :blushing:
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging about a month ago, but I've been maintaining for 6 months. I eat anywhere between 2,000 - 2,500 calories a day, not sure anymore! I do Crossfit 3-4x a week and am loving getting stronger, feel free to add me!
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Not sure how this would work for a women, But I like to work one body part a day and do 3 sets of six reps using enough weight that you can do the first set OK then the second is hard and the third you only get 4 or 5 reps...When you can get 6 reps on the third set you move the weight up a couple pounds the next time. So basically you are pushed to your limit and your body gets stronger fast.
    You need to keep up the cardio as this workout will bulk you up... Good luck!
  • jessnic90
    Options
    Well you at least sound eager to want to gain your muscle mass back...you seem like you even have a great workout plan so try and see
  • nicoleromine
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Upping my calories is going to be more of a challenge than I anticipated but yesterday was a good day (made to 2000). I'm starting my new lifting routine this Sunday, which I'm super psyched about. Thanks again for all your insight and motivation!
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I am also cutting (1735) but wanted to chime in to say that it is great to read a posting from another female who is excited about lifting! I lift 5x/week and do cardio 2x/week at the moment. Good luck and have fun! :flowerforyou:
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hey I need to start doing a proper weights routine in the gym!! I started but it's not consistent enough!! I do far too much of mad hot sweaty stuff!! I do body pump but that is really cardio although you do lift ;) I do body attack too and can do the whole press up set on my toes!! I probably need to eat more too and less of the crappy sugary stuff and more protein!! This I struggle with I am a veggie that eats fish and I never quite get there with the protein!! will add you hoping to pick up tips from you!! :p
  • sazrina
    sazrina Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I still run a few times a week but I'm getting quite into Strength work and lifting. I try to do 2 -3 sessions a week of lots of arm work, bench presses, deadlifts etc. I've got my first Spartan Race on Sunday so I've been training for that.
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    rckstr.gif
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I'm three pounds from goal and trying to decide if I want to recomp when I hit goal or drop another five pounds. I'm 5'8" and 163 currently, and eating around 2450, or at least I've been sticking to that this week... I often eat over my goal but I'm not too worried about how long it takes to work off the last little bit of weight.

I've been lifting since February and have learned a bit and am now helping my husband learn to lift since he's seen my progress and decided I was getting too hot and he needed to keep up. :laugh: Anyways, happy to offer advice and/or help out when I can.
  • nicoleromine
    Options
    steff274 - I totally struggle with getting enough protein too! I can always reach (and sometimes exceed) my fat and sugar macros, but reaching my protein is a total crapshoot. I tried protein shakes, but it was so disgusting.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    steff274 - I totally struggle with getting enough protein too! I can always reach (and sometimes exceed) my fat and sugar macros, but reaching my protein is a total crapshoot. I tried protein shakes, but it was so disgusting.

I'm also interested in starting to lift heavier weights-- when my schedule slows down enough for me to have room to breathe, later this fall, I'm going to start. I have the New Rules of Lifting For Women book, which I am going to follow. I like that book because it has lots of varied workouts and good explanations of each exercise.

I have found that mixing Greek yogurt, berries, and a serving of plain whey protein, and some vanilla and/or coconut or other nuts/seeds, and having that for breakfast is an excellent way to get me a lot closer to my protein goal. I think the unflavored whey proteins are far easier to eat than flavored ones-- I have found that every flavored protein powder I've tried (and I went through a lot of those sample packs when I first realized I needed more protein) tastes disgusting for one reason or another. So if I want a protein shake now, I do a serving of plain protein powder, some yogurt to cover the whey protein flavor, some frozen fruit, and some water. And if I can afford the calories, some maple syrup or something to sweeten it. This is a great breakfast or workout food.

I wouldn't mind a few new friends who are interested in lifting, myself! I just haven't started yet and won't be able to for another few weeks, but will be later in fall. I really want to be stronger!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    rckstr.gif
    Does he realize she's a woman?
  • jpapp13
    jpapp13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hey there!
    I've been in maintenance since Jan, been lifting heavy 2x a week for the last 6 months.
    I currently eat at TDEE but I don't log consistently as I need the mental break here and there.

Feel free to add me!
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    rckstr.gif
    Does he realize she's a woman?

I sure do, Thats why my post starts with not sure how this would work for a women.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    rckstr.gif

Whats your point? She asked about lifting heavy which I have done for years and I gave her info on how I lift heavy which may not relate to a women(which i State) Anyhow she can take what she needs and leave the rest.