pear shaped and short! advice please

Options
Hi everyone I'm new. Looking for my fellow short pear shaped ladies or advice from anyone men or women would be appreciated :) Would love a few people to chat with that are going through the same issues. Little about me:

SW: 140
CW: 123
GW: 105-110 / ~16% body fat

I'm 5'1 34/26/38 xs on top 3/4 on bottom.

Advice, tips? I am losing fat on upper body and have been working on building muscle to balance myself out. I don't know what it's going to take to get these legs into shape. I eat clean 85% of the time lift heavy and do fasted cardio. I guess time will tell

Replies

• blondegreen716
    blondegreen716 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    BUMP :)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    As you've probably heard, there's no way to target fat loss - that's genetically predetermined. So just follow the standard fat-loss plan that works for everyone - a calorie deficit, plus heavy, full-body strength training to maintain muscle. Plus patience.
  • blondegreen716
    Options
    Thank you! Was just wondering. Gets old hearing so much contradictory information. Squat don't squat cardio everyday no card I just heavy weights etc. Frustrating
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Diet is for weight loss exercise is for fitness. This being said find what works for you as an individual and do it.
  • blondegreen716
    Options
    It's a long time coming. I ye bored easily and I want to know what works BEST. Body composition can't be changed but it can be shaped into something healthy I suppose. I'll just keep fighting with body fat %
  • orangesmarties
    orangesmarties Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I'm new. Looking for my fellow short pear shaped ladies or advice from anyone men or women would be appreciated :) Would love a few people to chat with that are going through the same issues. Little about me:

SW: 140
    CW: 123
    GW: 105-110 / ~16% body fat

I'm 5'1 34/26/38 xs on top 3/4 on bottom.

Advice, tips? I am losing fat on upper body and have been working on building muscle to balance myself out. I don't know what it's going to take to get these legs into shape. I eat clean 85% of the time lift heavy and do fasted cardio. I guess time will tell
    Gah, tell me about it!! Here are some things that have been making a difference for me:
    1) Work your arms and shoulders. Although in women, they don't build muscle that readily, just having a little going on will balance you out and also help with fat burning. It doesn't have to be much, just a couple tricep dips, press ups, maybe the odd press. Toned arms just look so lovely!
    2) Spinning has completely re-shaped my legs. I am not a maniac about it, but the session I've started have made such a drastic improvement in such a short time :)
    3) Long distance running is my one true love, and will trim you down all over. I've always found that there is a sweet spot where you reach just over an hour's run, like 1 hour 15 mins, when it starts to lengthen and tone your legs much more. Half marathons are good for this...
    4) I like what squats have done me to be honest, although not everyone does. Hill runs are much easier, I will say that, and I now have more definition going on, but that could also be partly down to spinning. I prefer to squat and hold against a wall.
    5) I don't know if this is actually a thing, but I notice that when I consume noticeably more carb/sugar, fat tends to hold on more to the sides of my thighs.
    It will go, but if it is any consolation, just look up the benefits of being a pear shape! We are so much less at risk from all sorts of nasty diseases and conditions :) Sounds like you're doing really well already, chin up chicken!
  • blondegreen716
    Options
    Hahaha thank you :) I will start spin I've always wanted to try! I love zumba too anything to break things up occasionally :)
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I'd eat more, personally. At your current weight and leanness, you're not doing yourself any favors eating so little. Just my opinion. You're not going to build much if any appreciable amount of muscle in a deficit, so your goals should be to maintain what you've currently got. Which means, losing at about .5-1 lb a week average to lift heavy, ideally. Getting a good amount of protein (typically 1g per pound of lean body mass). It very well may be at some point you decide to bulk to build muscle. I've seen great improvement in body comp from bulking/maintaining and doing recomp but this is a very slow process. It just takes lots of patience and lifting heavy...making sure you fuel your body.

While nutrient density is important, it is also important to eat the proper amount of calories to fuel your body. Hunger signals are terrible queues for if you're actually feeding your body properly. Obviously, if you eat nothing but carrots and cucumbers you'll probably be full on a low calorie amount but whether or not you're getting everything your body needs is another matter. (sorry happen to catch you on another thread talking about eating 1200 sometimes less)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Body recomposition.
  • blondegreen716
    Options
    I'd eat more, personally. At your current weight and leanness, you're not doing yourself any favors eating so little. Just my opinion. You're not going to build much if any appreciable amount of muscle in a deficit, so your goals should be to maintain what you've currently got. Which means, losing at about .5-1 lb a week average to lift heavy, ideally. Getting a good amount of protein (typically 1g per pound of lean body mass). It very well may be at some point you decide to bulk to build muscle. I've seen great improvement in body comp from bulking/maintaining and doing recomp but this is a very slow process. It just takes lots of patience and lifting heavy...making sure you fuel your body.

While nutrient density is important, it is also important to eat the proper amount of calories to fuel your body. Hunger signals are terrible queues for if you're actually feeding your body properly. Obviously, if you eat nothing but carrots and cucumbers you'll probably be full on a low calorie amount but whether or not you're getting everything your body needs is another matter. (sorry happen to catch you on another thread talking about eating 1200 sometimes less)

I really don't want to necessarily build muscle just keep what I have. I'm never going to bulk/cut at least not at this point I'm clueless about it and I don't think it'll help.

I eat if I'm hungry and not if I don't. I know this is shocking but yes some small people can eat 1200 and not be hungry. I will not fprce feed myself to stick to someone else's idea of healthy. If I'm hungry I eat more. If not less. I think people overfeed. You should eat til 70-80% full IMO not until you need to rolled out of the room :)

And I also do ITF there are referring days where I eat 2000+
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options
    Kk have fun. Lean mass is what makes you look lean, so yes, building muscle could help but you seem rather defensive and not willing to look into other options so that's fine. Just know that I'll be stuffing myself until I need to be rolled out And maintaining my weight.
  • blondegreen716
    Options
    Kk have fun. Lean mass is what makes you look lean, so yes, building muscle could help but you seem rather defensive and not willing to look into other options so that's fine. Just know that I'll be stuffing myself until I need to be rolled out And maintaining my weight.

I'm not defensive at all but you just want me to adhere to what you think is best. And that's different for everyone
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    where you lose weight is up to your body. i've lost almost 90 pounds, 8 inches off my chest, 7 off my waist, put on some muscle, but have only lost 2" around my belly below my waist, which is over 43"(!) and i'm only 5' 3.5". i'll keep going, but it's frustrating, as my belly has been several sizes larger in clothes than the rest of my for over a year :(

regarding squats, since your quads are large muscles, as they grow your body will burn more fat when resting. if you don't lose fat around your legs early on, larger quads may make your legs a bit bulkier, although if you keep losing fat that will change. unfortunately a big part of losing weight is patience, not usually my strong suit.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options

I'm not defensive at all but you just want me to adhere to what you think is best. And that's different for everyone

You asked for advice *shrugs* that was my advice. No need to adhere. Carry on.
  • Lillyloooo
    Lillyloooo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Pear shaper here and 4ft 11
    Trying to loose weight

How do u achieve this ?
  • spkout2005
    spkout2005 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Squats, leg exercises, incline treadmill, cardio
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" & 116-117 lbs, 20%ish body fat. I balanced out my bigger lower half by building muscle lifting weights. I walk & hike for cardio. Around March I realized that I didn't want to lose any more weight because I was getting too lean on top. You lose fat last in the areas where you have the most, I find. I'm pretty lean on top but still have stubborn fat in my legs and butt. I'm now eating maintenance calories and loving it! My legs are much firmer than when I was in deficit. I'm doing a split routine for weights and also do 2 days of glute exercises. If you keep cutting to try to lose fat on your legs you might not be happy with the results. Keep doing what you are doing, eat enough and get your protein in so you don't lose muscle.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    16% is very lean. I lost my boobs at 20% pursuing leaner legs. I'm recomping until Fall and then I am probably going to bulk to try and get them back, lol. You don't get to chose where you lose.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    ^^and I'm going to bulk for better body composition but getting some cleavage back would be nice:-D
  • loseitgirl13
    loseitgirl13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and 123 pounds too! My goal weight is literally the same as yours. Glad to have found someone else whose in the same boat:) I've been doing HIIT on the treadmill/elliptical 5 times a week and it's helped slim down my bottom half more than my top half even though I'm naturally pear shaped.