Should I be worried?

Options
2»

Replies

• funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've been eating enough, should I go see a doctor or just start eating more?

My answer is "It depends." If something feels wrong, then you should react to it. Start eating a little more unless you're really alarmed.

But if you feel fine but it just seems improbable that you should be eating around 2500 calories or losing as fast as you are, look at it this way: if you had gastric bypass surgery, you'd be living on a few hundred calories until you healed sufficiently, during which you will have lost about 150 lbs.. You'd lose that 150 lbs. in the space of about 7-9 months. And the only medical concern with losing like this is whether you're getting your vitamins and minerals with such little intake and with part of your digestive system bypassed.

But you're in control. Go into http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided and set your goal to lose 1 lb. a week instead of 2. You'll get 500 extra calories a day and you'll still lose weight (probably more than 1 lb. a week).
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say that you need to "eat more" so much as you need to "eat more consistently." Some days, you're pretty close to your goal. Other days, you're eating like 1500 calories. Those days are too low, so it's a matter of being more consistent. In all, I wouldn't worry too much about the rate of your loss out of the gate. It should level out as you go, provided you get your eating in order on a consistent basis.

I don't think you need to see a doctor. Just eat more consistently, and getting in more veggies and such would be a good idea.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Considering how much you have to lose, its normal to have more come off at first. It will slow down.
  • adammeynell86
    adammeynell86 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Alright Josh!

First of all congratulations on a fantastic start! You seem to be well on your way and have established good habits (Recording what you eat) - I would have to ask you, do you feel 45lbs lighter? You are concerned about whether you are losing it too fast or not eating enough and an easy way of answering this is, how do you feel? If you have an extra spring in your step or are now starting to find things easier and you have more energy then I would say your intake is fine, if however despite losing 45lbs now more than ever you feel like your legs are filled with lead and everything is a chore and you just want to lie down and not do anythin (it might be handy to think of the "food as fuel" analogy, do you ever feel like the tank is running on empty and you have no energy) - if so, there is no harm in increasing your calorie intake or perhaps looking at your micro's (I've noticed a few people commenting on your Sodium level) But also looking at your levels of B vitamins, magnesium and zinc for energy, you may also want to look at your potassium intake if you sodium levels are high and you have high blood pressure....alot of your diary is about listening to your body and then looking at your diary to work out what is happening and would you change anything.

Hope that helps Buddy!
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine why you would go to the doctor if you know what's wrong. Not eating enough? Eat more.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'd start eating a bit more to slow the weight loss to 2-3 lbs a week on average. When we lose too fast, we face the every present yo-yo and are more likely to gain the weight back (saw a post earlier that started at 440, lost 90 lbs really quickly, and now is starting again at 550).

Remember to make this a healthy lifestyle and not a DIEt. You are doing well - don't lose your momentum. But I would try to slow it down a bit.

Good luck!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I love how consistently you have been logging. Kudos! And a great weight loss start. I think that the more you have to lose, the faster it comes off (in the beginning)

I agree about adding the fruit and vegetables. And If you are cutting out treats, you may allow yourself a small treat. YOU have a long way to go and don't want you to fall back on old habits.

Are you exercising at all? Walking?
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'd start eating a bit more to slow the weight loss to 2-3 lbs a week on average. When we lose too fast, we face the every present yo-yo and are more likely to gain the weight back (saw a post earlier that started at 440, lost 90 lbs really quickly, and now is starting again at 550).

Do you have any clinical studies to back this claim up?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,038 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine why you would go to the doctor if you know what's wrong. Not eating enough? Eat more.

That's not very helpful.

and because OP is very over weight, it wouldnt hurt at all to run his weight loss plan by his doctor and get some guidelines.
    For example, whether sodium levels are something to be concerned about, or not, in his situation..