Finding a Fitness Tracker for me

Options
Now that I’ve graduated from college and am working a regular 40-hour week, I have become recommitted to regaining my fitness that I had to give up for a rigorous course load. I’m on MFP because I let myself go a bit and I’m an engineer so I love using numbers to better understand processes. Therefore, I want a fitness tracker that can give me that data reliably as I fight towards my goal.
I have spent hours reading reviews and specs, but I thought it would be beneficial to get the opinions of people actually living with these devices.
I currently have a 2 year old Garmin Forerunner 405CX. It tracks running and cycling, and displays time, distance, and pace in real time. It was great when I was only a runner, but my range of activities has expanded since then.
With the holidays (and black Friday) approaching, I want to find a suitable upgrade that better suits my tracking needs.

The following are my requirements of this device.

NEED:
-ACCURACY! (I base my eating off of my exercise, so I need relatively accurate calorie burn)
-Display that shows info relevant to the activity (I.E. distance/time for running)
-Track running (following a half marathon training schedule; if it knows I’m running even if I’m on a treadmill that would be great too)
-Track hiking (mt monadnock, wachusett, eventually mt washington)
-Track walking (post-lunch walks with coworkers)
-Good battery life (3-4+ days)
-Easy syncing (through laptop or smartphone, which then syncs with MFP)
-A way for the device to differentiate between all these activities (can be manual)
-Water-resistant/Relatively Durable
-Comfortable or versatile wear

OPTIONAL:
-Double as a watch, be worn 24/7 (this would be awesome but I know they aren’t all there yet)
-Track weightlifting
-Track steps
-Track sleep
-Waterproof/Track swimming

Other facts: My phone is Android

Replies

• newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitors (HRM) are the most accurate, but they don't work well unless you are actively exercising (ie, they won't track walking and moving in day to day activities very well).

I like my fitbit flex, but I'm not convinced on its accuracy, and it doesn't meet all your criteria. The next one up (fit bit one I think?) will at least track stairs climbed (for hiking), but I have no experience with it. Just so you know, you are looking at anywhere between $100-$300 for something that meets all this criteria.
  • desjham
    Options
    Polar just came out with a new one that you might like! I love my Polar TF7 but it doesn't have GPS. Other models do however!
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT60. I bought it because you can also buy a separate GPS sensor with it that will tell you distance, speed, etc. As of right now I haven't bought the add on yet just because of money issues. To keep track of that stuff I just turn on the Nike+ app on my phone, just use my monitor for the calorie count. I got my Polar a little bit cheaper from Bodytronics.com
  • MLowe13
    MLowe13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Im seriously considering a VivoFit. It is also made by Garmin and has alot of the features you have described. It's just a bit pricy for me right now. But as you said Holiday prices may bring it down to a reasonable level. One thing I noticed on the website is that it says a battery change wouldn't be necessary for up to a year...so I am thinking it likely isn't one that needs regular charging but I haven't looked into it further.
  • tracyowens22
    tracyowens22 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    HealBe has developed a new "tracker" that may be just what you are looking for. It is called the GoBe. You wear it 24/7 and there is no food logging. If you go to http://healbe.com/ and take a look for yourself, its pretty cool. I have pre-ordered mine and am anxiously waiting for shipment this fall. Its not cheap but it might be exactly what you're looking for.
  • tashabonina
    Options
    Thank you for all your suggestions so far! I realize that what I'm looking for might be a bit higher on the price scale, which is why I'm willing to wait until black friday.

Curious, anyone out there with experience using the WITHINGS PULSE? It sounds similar to what I might want..
  • tashabonina
    Options
    tracyowens22, looking at it now and WOW that looks incredibly cool. Highly considering this.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT60. I bought it because you can also buy a separate GPS sensor with it that will tell you distance, speed,

Then she should get a PROPER GPS device in the first place... GARMIN all the way (Or Sunnto, if you're minted)
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex for tracking my activity, and a garmin for my runs. The fitbit flex and I have not made good friends. I've had a ton of problems with it. I also don't like that I have to wear a separate activity tracker from my running tracker. Polar just announced yesterday a new model that does both! It's an activity tracker with GPS. It's the M400. You can check out a VERY detailed review of it here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/ - along with a reviews of any other similar product you might be eyeing!
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You can check out a VERY detailed review of it here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/ - along with a reviews of any other similar product you might be eyeing!

Great choice, he does really great indepth reviews ... my goto site when I need to research toys.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    HealBe has developed a new "tracker" that may be just what you are looking for. It is called the GoBe. You wear it 24/7 and there is no food logging. If you go to http://healbe.com/ and take a look for yourself, its pretty cool. I have pre-ordered mine and am anxiously waiting for shipment this fall. Its not cheap but it might be exactly what you're looking for.

I pre-funded this on indiegogo early this year, but to be be honest, I'll be surprised if it ever comes to fruition.
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    When I run or workout I use my Garmin Forerunner 220. You just turn the GPS off in the gym. I wear a JawboneUp 24 daily, but that is mostly for motivation. I also like that I can set alarms on it!
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Re GoBe: sounds like a case of "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is":
    http://bit.ly/1om3coj
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Garmin Vivofit. Can buy with or without HRM. Uses a watch battery so no need to charge. You can set your steps ( measure a distance out, write down your step count before you start, walk the distance write down the step count, subtract starting amount. Enter the # of steps and distance in the custom settings
  • tashabonina
    Options
    I forgot to comment when I bought it, but I ended up with the Garmin Forerunner 920xt and I'm rather happy with my purchase :) although no so much the price haha (500 with HRM)