Which one better for weight loss?

Options
I have been contemplating joining a gym for some time now. However, I have mixed emotions because I'm also interested in joining the Yoga fitness center or brazilian jiu jitsu classes. I've done the gym thing once before and it proved to be successful. Only now i'm looking for something i would actually enjoy doing. After going to the gym for a month or two it became routine but i dreaded going. Henceforth i gave up after i'd missed a couple of days..
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
My overall goal is to lose 50 pounds and to strengthen my body which i've found is achievable through yoga, jiu-jitsu, and working out at the gym.. help? :)

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Diet is the best way to lose weight. No matter what kind of exercise you do, you won't lose weight if you eat more calories then you burn. I would choose whichever method of exercise you think you will be most likely to stick with, with the mindset that the exercise is never going to cause weight loss without a proper diet.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit will produce weight loss. Track your food by weighing and measuring everything, all the time. That's all there is to it. Choose whichever form of exercise you most enjoy, as it will not really contribute to your weight loss but will be crucial to your long-term adherence.
  • release_the_kraken
    Options
    my vote is BJJ...I burned a ton of cals rolling on the mat and you'll get a skill from it.

Diet is iumportant..eat sensible and roll hard.
  • tjohnoconnor
    tjohnoconnor Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Just do something, do all 3 if you can. Losing weight without exercise can cause as much as 30% loss in muscle for every pound you lose.
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Join a gym that offers all, if not more, provided there is one near you. You will find a couple of things likely to happen, people like and crave variety, so anyone of your choices may come to feel like a job eventually, and the other thing is that your body adapts within a couple of months to whatever you are doing, making it more efficient while doing it, which defeats your stated purpose. Best thing for your goal and mentality is to change things up as often as you can.

Note: Losing weight is in the kitchen, not the gym. Eat less and better to lose body fat, exercise to reshape and strengthen your body (which burns extra calories, yes, in the short term, but eating habits need to change forever for life long weight loss maintenance)

Congrats on your decision to lose and good luck to you!!
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,866 Member
    Options
    There are hundreds of different exercises on youtube. If you take a look there should be something you would enjoy doing. You can change it round every week too if you like then you don't get bored with it.

Good luck
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Agreeing that diet is the only way, but working out alongside diet makes it a lot easier for me to avoid temptation because you have that daily reminder of how much those calories are really worth.