Headache after running

Options
I am wondering if anyone else has experienced migraines after running?

After I run, I get a major migraine at the base if my skull. It isn't just a headache, it is something that typically incapacitates me, sometimes for hours on end. I have tried everything from watching my posture to taking in more water and everything in between. Nothing seems to help.

When I run on a treadmill, the headaches seem worse than when I run outside. Occasionally when I run outside they don't come on, or it is less severe.

I have talked to my doctor about this and her recommendation is that if they don't stop, I should lay off the running. No formal diagnosis, but figures I may be jarring something.

While I will heed her advice, I was curious if anyone else had a similar problem?

(I will admit I don't love running, but I did find it effective. Elliptical and walking are my replacement, and no headaches. I lost weight quicker when running but I cannot justify that as a reason to put myself through this.)

Replies

• h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there...

Heat exhaustion and dehydration come to mind, from personal experience.
    If it's worse when you are inside, that can be because there is no wind around to cool you down...
    Make sure you have water with you at all times, and when the headache starts, sit down in the shade, cool down. Take it slow when you get up again.

Good luck!
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    After I run, I get a major migraine at the base if my skull. It isn't just a headache, it is something that typically incapacitates me, sometimes for hours on end. I have tried everything from watching my posture to taking in more water and everything in between. Nothing seems to help.

Have you checked your blood pressure? Elevated BP might give you a headache.

Is it every time you run any distance or only after a certain distance/time spent running?
  • BaranVonCoop
    BaranVonCoop Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I should clarify, the headache starts within 15-30 minutes of finishing my run.

I always bring lots of water, mad I never experience this doing any other workouts.

I have a feeling I might be jarring something when I run.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Do you have any pain in your neck/shoulder area? What about your jaw or temples? If you're tensing your upper body or clenching your teeth when you run, that could be contributing.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing the same shoes on the treadmill as you wear outside? Sometimes this will make a difference, regarding the impact. On which terrain or on which specific treadmill did you experience the most problems....?
    Next step.....MRI, to make sure your spine is ok from top to bottom....literally...
  • fitcrt
    fitcrt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just posted about this last week - I've had a few post-work out migraines that I can only attribute to pushing myself too hard. I have been working on running on the treadmill & now I am going slower than before to hopefully avoid another migraine. I figure I just have to work up to being able to do more and it will take me longer than others.
  • trm68
    trm68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    yep , drink more water. When I worked in heat all the time , our safety adviser told us to drink a gallon a day and drink a sports drink for electrolyte replacement. We were eating aspirins by the ton and no relief, after we did the water and I drank gatorade at the time, all my headaches stopped...........