One Ingredient Ice Cream

Options
Not sure if this has ever been posted, but here you go. If you like or don't mind the flavor, you'll love playing around to mix it up.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-with-just-one-ingredient-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-93414

Nutrition breakdown if you use 2 small bananas, 1 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, and 25 semi sweet chocolate chips, split into 5 servings (about half a cup each):

51 calories
1 gram of fat
0 sodium mg
161mg potassium
11g carbohydrates
1g fiber
6g sugar

Link above has other suggestions for mix-ins.

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I actually like frozen mushed bananas but that is not ice cream:laugh:

Nothing will replace my Talenti
  • marlyu
    marlyu Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    P.S. It is searchable in the database and is the first 3 :tongue: items that come up.
  • marlyu
    Options
    Yes, I know Bombshell it's not ice cream exactly, the texture and coolness of it highly mimics ice cream. Then, if you add mix-ins, within reason of course, it can be even more ice cream like.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Hate to break it to you, but that ain't ice cream. Frozen bananas are frozen bananas. Good, but not ice cream.
  • marlyu
    Options
    Hate to break it to you, but that ain't ice cream. Frozen bananas are frozen bananas. Good, but not ice cream.

It's no Haagen Dazs or Breyers, but in a pinch and to "fit the mold," it suffices. P.S. If you look to how it's blended/creamed, it doesn't come close to eating a frozen banana.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options
    I suppose it hits a nerve for calling it ice cream...cause it's not:flowerforyou:

It's like arctic zero claiming to be ice cream...nope, nope...it's clearly cardboard with flavors
  • zilannoj
    zilannoj Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love banana "ice cream." Almost more than regular ice cream (gasp). Last weekend, I made black bean brownies (I swear I'm not a vegan, but I truly love vegan desserts) and there was a bunch of the batter left in the blender, so I added frozen bananas and mixed it together. It was divine.
  • marlyu
    Options
    I suppose it hits a nerve for calling it ice cream...cause it's not:flowerforyou:

It's like arctic zero claiming to be ice cream...nope, nope...it's clearly cardboard with flavors

I understand, that's just the attention grabber I guess.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Bananas by themselves are in no way ice cream. That's like saying cauliflower is potatoes.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I've had the frozen banana mixed with cool whip light... Not bad... Is it ice cream, no..... But it works
  • marlyu
    Options
    Bananas by themselves are in no way ice cream. That's like saying cauliflower is potatoes.

Do you, along with others, really think that I believe this is ice cream? No, of course not. But again, the texture and coldness of it all with toppings hits the spot just right.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options

(2 small bananas, 1 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, and 25 semi sweet chocolate chips)

Also not one ingredient. I count three. I use the no sugar added ice cream by Blue Bunny. Taste fine and has a lot fewer calories and carbs. I do make a lot of low sugar desserts with sugar free Jello and sf Jello instant pudding and pie filling, adding lite cool whip and yogurt.

But I have been making a lot of smoothies with bananas lately, so I might try this and see how it does. Thanks for posting.

Larro
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options

Do you, along with others, really think that I believe this is ice cream? No, of course not. But again, the texture and coldness of it all with toppings hits the spot just right.

I'd like to know for science why you can't have real ice cream?
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    gonna try this!
  • volleygirl1980
    volleygirl1980 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I actually made this tonight! I used frozen bananas and a bit of peanut butter. My two year old liked it more than real chocolate ice cream..can't wait to try different add-ins:)
  • marlyu
    Options

(2 small bananas, 1 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, and 25 semi sweet chocolate chips)

Also not one ingredient. I count three. I use the no sugar added ice cream by Blue Bunny. Taste fine and has a lot fewer calories and carbs. I do make a lot of low sugar desserts with sugar free Jello and sf Jello instant pudding and pie filling, adding lite cool whip and yogurt.

But I have been making a lot of smoothies with bananas lately, so I might try this and see how it does. Thanks for posting.

Larro

The one ingredient is the original recipe of just frozen bananas. I posted my quick add-ons.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Two small bananas= 150 calories

1/2 cup of Breyers - Chocolate Ice Cream= 140 calories
    1/2 cup of Talenti - Mediterranean Mint Gelato= 200 calories

I'd pick the ice cream.
  • marlyu
    Options
    I actually made this tonight! I used frozen bananas and a bit of peanut butter. My two year old liked it more than real chocolate ice cream..can't wait to try different add-ins:)

Awesome! I think it's a great alternative to when bananas go bad or natural, good for you dessert.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    My sister has made some and it was good.

I'll keep my Talenti.

Also, the calories will not be 51. Each banana is different and to know the most accurate calorie count you'd have to weigh them. It may be close to 51...
  • marlyu
    Options
    Two small bananas= 150 calories

1/2 cup of Breyers - Chocolate Ice Cream= 140 calories
    1/2 cup of Talenti - Mediterranean Mint Gelato= 200 calories

I'd pick the ice cream.

When one wants real ice cream, go for it. The frozen bananas, once blended, become 5 servings of half cup each (just like your other examples), but mine is only 50 calories.