Is it safe to eat eggs every day?

Options
I've been looking into this and there is so much conflicting information. One of my favorite things to eat for lunch is an egg sandwich. Lately I've been eating one every day. I usually use one whole egg, one egg white, and put some spinach, onions, and pepper in them and eat them on whole grain bread. Very filling. One of the reasons I do it is because it's cheaper and I'm on a tight budget. But anyway, I'm wondering if I should start limiting my egg intake. I'm unsure of my cholesterol right now. So what is your stance on eggs? Any good, reputable information out there? There is so much back and forth information on the internet about them.

Replies

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Yes, They are good for you and help to give a lot of protein.

29509743.png
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Eggs are fine for you. The 'old' theory was that they are somehow bad and responsible for every evil. Modern science has debunked this.

They are high in protein, the fat isn't terrible in them, and they will keep you full for a while. They are also used in a LOT of things, and delicious.

If you're only eating one, lucky you; I eat more than that. YUMMY

:)
  • anomar6
    Options
    This right here is a a pretty good article brimming with common sense and dashes of real science for good measure
    : http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-berardi-phd/egss-and-health_b_3499583.html
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Eggs are fine for you. The 'old' theory was that they are somehow bad and responsible for every evil. Modern science has debunked this.

They are high in protein, the fat isn't terrible in them, and they will keep you full for a while. They are also used in a LOT of things, and delicious.

If you're only eating one, lucky you; I eat more than that. YUMMY

:)

Yes, that's what I have read in many articles. I know they are good for you and very nutrient dense. I just wasn't sure about the cholesterol because of all the conflicting information. And then there are some that say only eat farm fresh eggs, not the ones you can usually get in the grocery store. I do get mine at Trader Joe's though. I was thinking about it as I was eating my egg, spinach, onion, and ham sandwich, lol. Love them. :)
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I should hope so, I've been doing it for about 20 years.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    People have been eating eggs daily since the discovery that you could eat them, all that crap about them being bad for you was doctors fear mongering as usual. My grandma fell for that back when it first started and it made my grandpa miserable lol. As long as you don't go insane eating them you'll be fine.
  • heyitskaydee
    heyitskaydee Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    dietary cholesterol effecting serum cholesterol has pretty much been disproven, I think the recommendation is not going over 7 a week so 1 a day is fine and perfect with more egg white added!
  • jnv7594
    Options
    This right here is a a pretty good article brimming with common sense and dashes of real science for good measure
    : http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-berardi-phd/egss-and-health_b_3499583.html

Thank you for the article. Interesting read.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    And then there are some that say only eat farm fresh eggs, not the ones you can usually get in the grocery store. I do get mine at Trader Joe's though. I was thinking about it as I was eating my egg, spinach, onion, and ham sandwich, lol. Love them. :)

Farm fresh are best but not practical or budget friendly enough for most people. Around here they usually go for $4 a dozen where store eggs are about $1.50. I get mine at my local gas station/convenience store which is a regional company mostly in Wisconsin. They buy their eggs locally, the price is usually 25 to 50 cents cheaper, and they are usually about a week fresher than the ones in my local grocery store.

ETA: I eat about a dozen a week, and have most of my adult life. My cholesterol is actually rather low.
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Eat and enjoy!
  • jnv7594
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing then. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eggs rock and they're high in protein.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I can easily eat 2-4 whole eggs a day :3
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I eat three a day (usually) and consider myself in fairly decent shape.
  • kazzsj0urney
    Options
    Unless you have a cholesterol issue they are a great food to have (and if you have a cholesterol issue you should prolly speak to your doctor)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    love eggs.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    No, it's not safe. According to rigorous scientific research, eventually the eggs will become sentient and hungry. When that happens, they will realize that you've been eating their brethren and want revenge. It's probably best to stop now before the eggs come for you.
  • joshpass
    joshpass Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    eggs are one of those basically "perfect" foods. the fat is good fat. the cholesterol is good cholesterol. It's high in protein. There is pretty much nothing wrong with them. I eat two every day. I could easily eat 22 :)
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I own a diner and go for breakfast there Tuesday to Sunday which are the days we are opened and I have eggs. On Mondays I sometimes make my own eggs or I go to a competing diner in a different town. Been eating like this for years and far as I know I'm alive and healthy. I think the problem might be if you have a problem with cholesterol or a predisposition for it. I'm not a dietitian or a doctor but based on my experience it does seem pretty safe.
  • Realtree2429
    Realtree2429 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I hope so....I raise ducks and chickens and at any given time I have no less that 7 dozen eggs in my fridge. So yeah, I eat a lot of eggs lately :)