NSV - 27 days without soda

Options
rnd789
rnd789 Posts: 50 Member
When it got to the point that I couldn't even go a day without a soda (or multiple sodas...), I finally decided to make it my new year's resolution to quit.
I only ever drank diet soda, so I always used that as an excuse to keep drinking it ("there's no calories in it, so even if I drink a lot to satisfy cravings, it's okay!). However, after reading about just how awful everything in it is for you, I decided to give my body a break.
After 1-2 weeks of headaches and serious cravings, I've made it almost through the entire month of January! (I tried one on Monday, and it made me feel sick. I don't even think I like it anymore. ha!)
After about three months of serious discouragement with weightloss, this was something that showed me I do have self discipline, and I'm not just a slave to cravings.
Also, my body feels so much better now that I mostly just drink water. And less bloated.

woo hoo!

Anyone else feeling great after this first month of resolutions?

Replies

• HolsDoinIt
    HolsDoinIt Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    great job..im going 2.5 weeks without soda and OMG its sooo hard..
  • heavenrain
    heavenrain Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Because of health issues i quit drinking soda 6 months ago. It makes a big difference. I also use to drink only diet.
  • royam01
    royam01 Posts: 123
    Options
    I have also been 27 days without soda and very little beer...I think I've had maybe 2 this whole month! I can really feel a difference. Now I no longer feel bloated and blah all the time. I mostly drink water and black coffee. Congrats on your goal! It does feel nice to know that we DO have control over ourselves even though sometimes it may not feel that way :)
  • Sheila_KI
    Sheila_KI Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Stopped soda during the Fall. Next was diet sugar packets. I now drink my coffee (with non-fat creamer) and plain ice tea. No more adding sugar. If I feel the need - bitter tea or something - I use a tsp of real sugar. I really believe this has cut down on the sugar cravings. My office has chocolate candy all over...I haven't touched any of the candy dishes since I started my food diary on January 3rd.
  • better_days_ahead
    better_days_ahead Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! I have been pop-free for almost a year and a half and don't miss it one bit!

Keep up the great work!
  • jillerin457
    Options
    Wow, I'm impressed! I could give up a lot of things before I finally quit soda. I know it's so bad, but it's my favorite thing. At least I have successfully made the switch to diet, so I'm not getting all the calories and sugar. But quitting altogether? That may take a while!
  • LaurieKPhoto1972
    Options
    I have cut WAY down on the diet soda. It used to be all I drank but now I drink mostly water with a few diet sodas a week. I feel SO much better!
  • sixpackgoal
    Options
    I also on day 27. I gave up coffee, soda, milk and alcohol. In other words, I am drinking only water.
    Kinda feel like a monk but it so helps your discipline.
    This is for first 90 days of year to match my 90 days of P90X that I am currently doing.
    I hate it but I love it.
    Cheers to no soda!!!!!!!
  • ally1385
    Options
    Last year I decided to give up caffeine. That was so hard! But, I have stuck to it for over a year now, and now I'm working on weeding out the rest of the soda. This is my first week w/o any soda so far, and it actually hasn't been too hard! I think weeding out the caffeine first helped.
  • SevenisHeaven
    SevenisHeaven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda in 09 when I started this journey. I had gone 9.5 months without one. But, when I had to put the weightloss thing on pause due to a pregnancy that gave me the excuse to go back. I have now given it up again (I am nursing my 8 month old, and if I have more than one in a day she gets a tummy ache) I had my last full soda on January 2nd. We went to McDonalds on a rushed Sunday morning, and without thinking I ordered a soda. It wasn't til about 4 or 5 drinks into it I realized what I had done. I gave the rest to my husband and drank my water. SO, the last soda I had was January 15th. It is a hard battle, but very well worth it! WTG!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Excellent!

I stopped for a long time but started again recently. It is pretty gross tasting though. LOL I should stop too. Thanks for the motivation!

Good job! Keep it up!
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! We stopped drinking soda, once I found out how bad the diet soda really is. IF I want to have soda, I will split a can of pepsi throwback with my hubby. It is 150 calories per can. only has 6 ingredients and I can pronounce all of them. We bought a 12 pack almost two weeks ago and we have only had 1 can! I drink water, and I will have my one cup of coffee that I make myself that only comes out 40 calories.
  • suziehomemaker
    Options
    i gave up the soda too, new years i drank the regular stuff about 4 - 6 cans a day.....had wicked headaches and dizziness for a few days then it went away i now feel so much better no bloating and my stomach doesnt hurt
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking my Diet Coke a few years back. I might have one once in a blue moon, but mostly drink a cup of coffee with breakfast and the rest of the day is water. Once in awhile in a restarant I might have an ice tea.

Diet Soda is high in sodium.
    Dark Soda such as coke or pepsi has Phosphoric acid in it to enhance the flavor, but according to my orthopedic surgeion it take the calcium out of your bones.
  • asj0901
    asj0901 Posts: 141
    Options
    Way to go!!! I am right there with you. I have given up Dr. Pepper.... I was so hooked on it that one day I went church only to get one from the youth vending machine, (I had planned on sleeping in) When I got there it was out and I started crying. I knew then this was a problem. I hadn't had one in about a month until last week and I am so happy to say it tasted terrible... It didn't feel the same. Yeah! No more Dr.Pepper problem. Way to go I know all about the headaches and pain... You should be very proud!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I gave up my addiction to Diet Coke on April 2, 2009. I know it was that day because that would have been my Dad's birthday. He died way to young (48) and I don't want to die that young. I had been not feeling well and had been reading up on some of my symptoms and possible causes (didn't want the Dr. to yell at me about my weight or anything) and one common theme was Diet soda. The first few weeks were awful.. I can't lie about it. But now, nearly 2 years later, I feel amazing!!! No, the weight didn't magically disappear, and no, the cravings for it didn't either, but I stand by my decision and it was the best thing I ever did for myself!!! Now I drink water, all day, never had been a coffee drinker, but I do have an iced tea at lunch usually. Unsweetened of course! I encourage everyone to stop drinking soda. The chemicals in diet soda especially are very very bad for you. My back pain is less, my headaches are gone, I feel more alive than ever... it's amazing!!!! I should note that my addiction was so bad thatI probably averaged about 150 oz of Diet Coke per day... yup, it was really bad!!!!
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda and coffee 10 years ago. After a while you don't even think about it anymore.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!