Case of the Night Yum Yums! Advice Appreciated!

Options
I need some advice for battling the night yum yums or night eating. I eat healthy during the day and do my yoga in the morning, but by 8pm I am in the icecream and by 10pm I could be eating a whole other dinner. I don't know why I get more hungry at night. I used to be a smoker and have not smoked in four months. I am wondering if that is why. I don't know. Any advice is appreciated...Thanks :-)

Replies

• x3xNoelle
    Options
    This may sound odd, but sometimes, a lack of sleep can lead to a person being hungrier during the day or even at night.
    Another possible problem could be your diet itself- are you getting enough protein? When I was a vegetarian, I was constantly hungry at night and couldn't figure out why. My father explained to me that it was probably because I wasn't taking in enough protein during the day, and my body was trying to fix it.

I hope I helped at all. c:
  • MaryTate79
    Options
    yeah getting better sleep. helping the brain shut down so i am not munching until 2am. i did not think about the protein thing. i know i am not getting enough. thanks. :smile:
  • DeepakBindippa
    Options
    yeah getting better sleep. helping the brain shut down so i am not munching until 2am. i did not think about the protein thing. i know i am not getting enough. thanks. :smile:
    I may be being most helpful with providing you of more protein, I have been being eating many pineapples recently which I am being led to believe, may make the taste more better but I do not really care about the flavour and will being most willing to fill your empty tummy.
  • Tuliper1
    Tuliper1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am awake a lot at night too. Recently I googled "why am I hungry all the time?" And a great article talked about sleep deprivation giving you a false sense of hunger. When I get to bed by midnight, it helps. Also, when I eat sugar in any quantity, there is that sugar high with a corresponding low, and the low blood sugar makes you feel starved. I had a great big ice cream cone with my kids last night, and today I've been famished.

My thoughts: get to bed earlier, eat sweet fruits like dates and raisins along with some nuts as snacks (no blood sugar swing), and plan ahead to spend some calories on evening snacks. If you want ice cream, carefully portion it out and top it with nuts and berries to moderate the rise in blood sugar. Or you can make protein powder ice cream. Don't just say, "I'm NOT going to eat at night." Eat your snack and go to bed. Hope this helps!
  • Tuliper1
    Tuliper1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The other thing is, you may not be eating enough during the day period. I have no way of knowing, though, since I can't see your food diary.
  • annangelich
    annangelich Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am currently going through this debacle as well. I have decided that if I am eating out of boredom or habit I am going to eat a stick of celery instead of a treat. At least make a healthy decision that won't undo all my good work. I look forward to following what everyone has to say and now I am going to do a quick check to see it I am getting enough protein also.
  • Whiskey2206
    Whiskey2206 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Yes protein is a big one. It keeps you full longer. I have a decent amount of protein at each meal including snacks and am never feeling contantly hungry.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a big dinner, and grazing at night. I've decided that smaller breakfasts and lunches allows me more night snacking.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Make sure your eating enough fat throughout the day(avacado,olive oil , unsalted peanuts, butter,sardines) . If that doesn't keep your hunger at bay invest in some vanilla or chocolate whey protein powder and mix it with plain greek yogurt. It's not exactly ice cream its more like an extremely filling custard.