I need help!!!!

2»

Replies

• Ok I read your story again. Your net calories might be too low right now. How tall are you?

I'm 5'7. I'm trying to lose 60 pounds. I want to get back to my pre babies, sexy military body....and feel better about myself and all that jazz. :tongue:
  • Have you taken your body measurements recently? The scale can be misleading. Trust the process; you WILL reach your goal. Besides 1 pound per week is great! Good job.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    You're doing well! A pound a week is pretty good.

If you have MPF set for 2 pounds a week, and you're only losing a pound a week, there are a limited number of possibilities to explain the discrepancy:

- Your RMR (resting metabolic rate) is a lot lower than the typical person's. For people who have done yo-yo dieting for a while, that's possible. But it won't account for 500 calories a day, so even if it's a factor, it's not the only one.

- You don't move as much as the typical person. As much as 500 calories a day can be burned by fidgeting, twitching, shifting in your chair, getting up and walking around, etc. (Now, granted, 500 calories would be a lot, but a couple hundred isn't unheard of.)

- You are logging fewer calories than you eat. This is shockingly common. One study showed that laypeople underestimated calorie intake by over 400 calories a day, and even registered dietitians underestimated by over 200 calories a day.

- You are burning fewer calories in exercise than you think. MFP's estimates are often laughably high. I bicycled for 100 minutes today, at an average speed of 16.1 mph, including some gnarly hills. My Garmin bike computer/HRM estimated that I burned 803 calories. The Strava website (which analyzes speed, weight, and terrain) estimated 900. MFP estimated 1382. If I had logged that, I would have eaten 400-500 calories more than I actually burned, enough to wipe out my daily weight loss.

In the end, if you're happy with your progress (which is good!), just keep doing what you're doing. But as you get closer to your goal weight, inaccurate logging will slow or stop your progress, so it might make sense to try logging more carefully, and when you log exercise, enter only 50-75% of what MFP estimates.
  • Ive noticed that mfps calories burned are super high. I actually bought a polae heart rate monitor to give me a more accures reading. But maybe i am logging fewer calories.