Non-newbies: when is the hardest part?

Options
I'm a relative newbie and have been doing pretty well with eating under goal (though only slightly <20 cals) for about 2 weeks. I was wondering when did you find it hardest - the fist month, 6 months in, your first plateau. I feel like what I'm doing is possible long term, but maybe it's going to get tougher.

Replies

• cassique
    cassique Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    In previous attempts at weight loss, the most difficult part was when I started feeling good enough about how I looked and confident in my eating habits to think I didn't need to bother with the counting anymore (usually about 5 pounds away from my goal). Probably why I always found myself back up to my starting weight within a few months of getting there--losing the same 10-15 pounds became an annual event. This time around, the toughest part it is transitioning to maintenance. There is a change in mindset that needs to happen that I have never experienced before--and I'm still working on being ok with logging without losing.

To be honest this first month of maintenance I lost 3 more pounds. I like the cushion room, but I am noticing that I keep telling myself "maybe just 2 more pounds".
  • Trishkon
    Trishkon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm nowhere near goal, and have quite a lot to go, so I hope it's habit by then. Thanks for the feedback, good thing to keep in mind
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I've been regularly logging since about May of this year and have lost 16lbs. For me, the hardest part is the mental aspect. Some weeks are better than others and it is in those not so good weeks that are the toughest. For example, hubby and I went on a road trip recently and trying to stay within your goals while eating out everyday is hard. I knew that I wouldn't lose that week but it can be hard to bounce back from. I also find I weigh a bit more during that time of the month and I will "forget" and get down on myself when I step on the scale. Sometimes I get frustrated at how long it is taking to lose the weight. I have my goals set to loose 2lbs/week but it doesn't happen, its more like 1lb on average. But I remind myself that each day is a new day and if even if it is slow, I am still less than when I started and I did it on my own without injections, surgeries, pills, or whatever the latest weight loss fad is.
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I think if you set a plan where it something you can do each day without thinking it a diet, then you don't really get the hard parts, it only when the goal posts seem very far away and you try too hard that it really starts to grind you down over time.

I know I have 4 n half stone to loose, if it comes off quick great but not worried if it takes me next 12 months, just as long as i get there at some point lol. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    When I started, I had medical issues and ate nothing but air, dirt and leaves. ;) Well, not quite, but it was all healthy, all the time and no fat. Giving up all the junk food and processed food was the hardest part. After six weeks, I was much happier because I felt so much better.

But the first few days, while my stomach shrank and I had to eat food I didn't really want, while watching those I ate with have burgers, pizza, ribs, donuts, ice cream, et cetera - that was the hardest.

When I began weighing myself, I had to get used to scale fluctuations. That wigged me out a bit, at first, especially at period time.

Periods! I got very down on myself for overeating...then I realized that at the end of it, I was less hungry! So I overeat before and undereat at the end. That's nothing now, too. :)

Giving up pop. I was on and off that crap for so long. It was a HARD addiction to stop. But I did it. :)

Watching the weight loss slow down wasn't the best. It came off so fast at first! I was sure I'd be skinny by Christmas! But the more you lose, the harder it gets. So, accepting that was a bit of an adjustment.

Now, nothing is really all that hard. I'm so driven. I can't wait to be thin. I know I'll get there. Patience!!

And my MFP friends are so damned inspiring. :)
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Also, try not to beat yourself up for having a single bad day... it happens. I find the more I do this and start to see results, the more willpower I have because I don't want to throw it all away. The last couple of weeks one of my coworkers has been bringing in bags of candy - Dino sours, mini chocolate bars, twizzlers which she has for breakfast - before I would have joined her. I even had a stash in my desk. Now, I can easily decline and can even stay away from the junk at office functions. We have a good bye breakfast coming up and one of the items on the menu is cinnamon bun French toast. Before I would have been all over that. Now I am looking for something smaller like a piece of toast and a single egg or a small bowl (1/4 cup) of granola and yogurt and it is not because I have to, its because I want to.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    The first month was hardest for me. After the first month I'd won the war (mostly) against habit/boredom eating. Also, it took about a month for friends and family to stop being shocked when I didn't take seconds or thirds.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    The hardest part for me was the first three weeks, when I felt hungry a lot of the time, especially in the hour or two before meals. Once I adapted to drawing down my fat stores, things got a lot easier.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I think there are 3 equally "hardest" parts in the process. The first 2-3 weeks, when you are learning new eating habits and your stomach and brain still want you to consume large amounts of food, and you have to deny yourself the amount you feel you really "need" in order to stay at your calorie goal. After that time period, your stomach shrinks a little (this process continues for a month or two) and you are more mentally adjusted to eating less, so it gets a lot easier.

The second hard part is when you've been in a deficit for a few months, and it really, really starts wearing on you-- it's just tiresome to track food and exercise all the time, and you start feeling really hungry and deprived. This happened to me as I was nearing my goal weight, so I started eating at maintenance, stayed there for a week or two until I felt better, then went back to losing the rest of the weight.

The third hard part is starting to maintain-- by the time that happened to me, I was so used to eating my weight loss amount, I had a really hard time eating enough to stop losing weight. I logged through this process, found out my maintenance calories are about 100 cals over MFP's estimate for me, and then stopped logging eventually, which works. I'm losing weight again because being way, way way too busy stopped me from exercising, so I ended up gaining to the top of my maintenance weight range and I want to be at the bottom of that range instead.

I don't know if everyone encounters the second difficult stage-- but I think most of us go through those first few weeks of being hungry and miserable and wondering if it's sustainable, and then the challenge of beginning maintenance, too.
  • Maqneta
    Maqneta Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    (would I still be considered a newbie? not sure)
    my first month I had a hard time keeping proportions and giving up Pop (though I started drinking Coke Zero hasn't made any changes to my weight!)

that and my patience was low and I expected to see changes instantly, which was not going to happen.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    The first couple of weeks seemed the hardest thus far. Now, its habit, now its life.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options

When I began weighing myself, I had to get used to scale fluctuations. That wigged me out a bit, at first, especially at period time.

Periods! I got very down on myself for overeating...then I realized that at the end of it, I was less hungry! So I overeat before and undereat at the end. That's nothing now, too. :)

OMG, yes!!!! I forgot about these! I have about 10 days of each month where I can't weigh myself and expect a real result-- my period always falls somewhere in there, and it takes a long time for the water retention to build up and then go away again! And I do the same thing with eating around my period-- I reliably have 2-3 days where I overeat fairly impressively (by up to 500 calories), about 2 days before it starts. Then the last day or two of it, I have no appetite. So weird!
  • Deb23455
    Deb23455 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been at this for eight months. Most months I feel like I work out like crazy, eat moderately but don't lose anything. I feel very frustrated. But I keep trying at least to maintain, I tell myself. E ven tho it's slow, uneven and crazy, I am still averaging a 1# a week loss. But every day after those first two months, I just want to quit going to the gym and eat and drink whatever I want. Every day is just frustrating. But if you don't let go of the end game...it will happen. But it seems very slow!! underline every every in this post.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    The first month was hardest for me. After the first moth I'd won the war (mostly) against habit/boredom eating. Also, it took about a month for friends and family to stop being shocked when I didn't take seconds or thirds.
    ^ This pretty much. After a month or so of shock and awe my system settled down, my friends and family figured out I wasn't broken in some manner and it just seemed like the new normal. My first plateau was stressful but I rode it out it and now I've learned that's just how my system gives up weight - in little bits every few weeks or so.