Which type of exercise produces more results

Options
Working out alone or working out in a class setting such as a spin class or boot camp?

Replies

• fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you are most consistent with.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    It depends.

If you're too self conscious around other people, don't like socializing (or people), or find other people to be distracting or have like social anxiety .... group fitness may not work for you. If you prefer the 'pressure' of a group environment or just the group itself... it might work for you. If you prefer doing your thing, your way, your pace... solo workouts might be for you. If you find you can't get motivated without someone there, it might not be.

You're going to have to try different things.

You might even find you really like the group environment but that doesn't mean you'll like all the group classes. You might prefer to work out solo for some things and groups for others. There is no blanket answer.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. I did both the cardio machines and took classes. If I had to choose, I think it would be the classes. You meet people and have fun. You get to cheer each other on and laugh at mistakes and stuff.

But if I could only pick one exercise in the world, for the rest of my life, it would be swimming. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Whatever gets the job done. Personally, I challenge myself more when I'm alone, in my zone.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    The one you enjoy.
  • liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    What results are you looking for? Burning a lot of calories, perhaps, since these are cardio options?

If so...whichever one you enjoy more, because you'll be more likely to keep it up long-term :)
  • kazzsj0urney
    Options
    Depends on your personality and what you enjoy the most i think. I do both. I love classes cos I dont have to think and I strive to keep up with others, but I also like my own workouts as they are designed specifically for me. I do group fitness classes two days a week and the rest of the week do my own thing :)
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I say combine the two. Go to a class and ignore everyone. OR.... Grab a stationary bike and pull it into a studio while a class is going.

Best of both worlds.
    :happy:
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Whatever you like. My main exercise is cycling. I like riding with my wife or friends, but with most of my friends, I end up going slower than I would if I were by myself. So I ride solo if I want a hard workout, and with people if I want a moderately challenging social outing.
  • NaRmI10
    NaRmI10 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said... your preference. I do both.
  • wallelf1
    wallelf1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Whatever gets the job done. Personally, I challenge myself more when I'm alone, in my zone.

I, too, like to do my exercising alone. I plug into my ipod, crawl inside my head, and walk for an hour. If I'm feeling generous, I invite one of the dogs along.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    THIS. Consistency is going to be the difference between a true champion and an occasional winner.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Truer words have never been spoken.

Don't get caught up in the numbers of which may burn what slightly more than xyz... just find something you can stick to. Consistency is key and you won't be consistent if you're doing something you do not enjoy.

Personally? I like to mix it up... weekly. Otherwise I get bored.