Is anyone on Wellbutrin XL 150?

Options
I was just given a prescription for Wellbutrin XL 150 from my doctor. I want to hear some experiences from other people who are taking it. I've been reading a lot of scary things about seizures and anxiety and I'm pretty nervous about it. Also, not that Im a big drinker, but Is having a few drinks on the medication something I should be concerned about?

Let me know your thoughts, anything tips & opinions will be appreciated!

Replies

• kait_marie24
    kait_marie24 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Nobody?
  • eamillie
    eamillie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was on it, twice a day, for the longest time. Don't freak out about the seizure stuff - it's really not that big of an increased risk. I'm sure it happens, but you also have to be on a huge dose for it to happen.

When I drank when I took antidepressants, I would get suicidal, so I would caution against ANYTHING to drink. It might make you a little more jittery since it is an SNRI, which helps to leave more norepinephrine circulating around in the brain - it's the chemical responsible for "cognitive alertness". They prescribed it to me when Zoloft made me a bit too dull for my liking and I still couldn't concentrate and get motivated. Never had any bad side effects, except when I drank. It made my appetite decrease, which was nice; that SE ended eventually, though. They worked well for my depression, and after a year, I stopped them. :)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I've been taking it for a long time and have noticed no bad side effects.
    Once in a while I will have a beer or after-dinner liquour and again, have noticed no bad effects. (But notice that it's rare, and one drink.)
    The worst thing I can say about it is that there's a production shortage, so is sometimes hard to get.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I've never been on it but I was on Cymbalta. I still drank while on it, only felt weird for 2 weeks and when coming off of it. I had no negative effects from drinking while on the meds, but do so cautiously.

I'd say just try to keep your routines as normal as possible initially to see how you're actually adjusting to it.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for several years and haven't experienced any side effects. My doctor did mention the possibility of seizures. I'm on 450 mg, and she said if I need an increase again that I'd have to switch to another medication. I also have a drink now and then, and it hasn't seemed to affect the medication at all .

I hope everything works out for you.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm one who had seizures on it, but then again I have a very low seizure threshold genetically so I can't say I am super surprised. They quickly resolved when I stopped the medication, so it really wasn't an enormous deal. Just uncomfortable. They are highly unlikely to happen to you, but even if they do, it's something that can be dealt with. The anxiety tends to be a start up effect - some people feel really ramped up for the first few weeks, but for most people it either doesn't happen or dissipates as you adjust. As far as drinking on meds, it's never a good idea, and some drugs are riskier than others, but if you really feel the need to drink while continuing on the medication, be honest and upfront with your doctor about it and they should be able to advise you on what a safe amount would be (if any).
  • paisleyhmp
    Options
    I have been on it 6 months and have lost 55 pounds. I went from 184 to 129 with diet and exercise.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
  • nohaynicknamesdisponibles
    Options
    You should be concerned about the addiction; Wellbutrin withdrawal symptoms are no fun. Looking at you profile pic I wonder why the Doc is giving you this crap....
  • Blondesweet1
    Options
    I'm on this exact dosage for depression. It does help, other then my occasional cry (which I didn't want to feel like a zombie on a medicine so it's ok!). I've never had a seizure or any side effects. I had heard it helps with weight loss, but sadly it didn't do anything in the department.:grumble: I hope you feel better soon and remember your never alone! We all have issues:wink:
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Nobody?
    I'm on it, been on it awhile with no issues.

I will tell you though drinking on any medicine is very risky ...please consider this as it happens far more often than ppl realize. I would be more concerned about drinking and drugging then I would the seizures. Not to say they may not happen, but as I said I've been on it for quite sometime and never had issues. The side effect lists, list about everything you can imagine to cover themselves.... if they had one person report acne etc. while on the medicine it's listed in the side effects (of any prescription drugs).

If it's a drug that will better your life and get you back on track and clear headed... it's worth giving it a try because for most of us dealing with depression etc., not being on anything is a far higher risk.

:flowerforyou:
    You should be concerned about the addiction; Wellbutrin withdrawal symptoms are no fun. Looking at you profile pic I wonder why the Doc is giving you this crap....
    Your post confuses me, how can you look at someones profile photo and determine if they are in need of anti-depressants? It's used for many purposes now, to stop smoking etc. Even that... how can one tell by looking at someone's photo if they are looking to quit smoking?!

Your personal (or what you feel about it) experience won't be the same as someone elses and if yours has been quite negative (which is sounds like) it's good you're no longer using it.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Made me weepy the one time it was prescribed to me. I do caution **most anti-depressants are very addictive in that it is very hard to come off of them. I was on another for 7 yrs. if I missed one dose I became sick to my stomach.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    You should be concerned about the addiction; Wellbutrin withdrawal symptoms are no fun.
    It's not an addiction, and lowering the dosage slowly will avoid withdrawal problems.
    Looking at you profile pic I wonder why the Doc is giving you this crap.
    How can you tell if someone is depressed by looking at a picture? (Or trying to stop smoking.)
    And why do you call medicine "crap"?
    Maybe it didn't work for you? Try something else, don't just suffer. And don't try to convince others they should suffer.
  • victoire713
    victoire713 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm on 150mg of it. Well, the generic of it. I haven't had any problems with it. I'm taking it for Bipolar Depression, along with Depakote(well, the generic) for a mood stabilizer, and Propranolol for anxiety. I find it's better than nothing.