What's up with dairy?

Options

Replies

• 123Allyxox
    123Allyxox Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Personally, dairy upsets my stomach and causes my skin to break out. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, just doesn't agree with me.. If you can eat it go for it!
  • dancedivine
    dancedivine Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for me, dairy and gluten both cause me acne. (I can't tell you how much I miss my Fage Greek yogurt!!!) But, I gave up dairy as a part of a 30-day detox program back in January & my skin miraculously cleared up within a matter of weeks. And, then every time I "cheated" after that (ice cream, yogurt, etc), I paid for it the next day. My skin reacts the same way to gluten... So, now my diet is boring - but my skin is clear! Anyways.... I do believe it causes an inflammatory response in some people. And, unfortunately, I'm one of those people.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I was working out with a trainer awhile ago (which since has become too expensive) and he kept telling me to eliminate all dairy from my diet. ..He told me that dairy is really highly inflammatory and causes your body to hang onto weight light crazy.

Some people follow a particular diet for their own ethical or religious reasons. Barring that, unless you have an allergy to the food, or diagnosed with a disease exacerbated by a food (gluten for celiac disease, salt for congestive heart failure, alcohol as an addiction), ANYONE that tells you to entirely eliminate any comestible food is a self-important idiot.

"Inflammatory" is one of the magic buzz words. Inflammation - "A localized physical condition in which part of the body becomes reddened, swollen, hot, and often painful, especially as a reaction to injury or infection." So this yutz trainer who can lift weights can now see inside a body with his x-ray eyes and tell that an organ is swollen and hot. Run away from that person. Run fast.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    yeAafEL.jpg
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    :laugh:
    yeAafEL.jpg
    :laugh:
  • anna_jewel
    anna_jewel Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I am lactose intolerant but I can still eat dairy and I love it! I cant have milk or icecream, but I get lactose milk, cheese, cottage cheese and yogurt. Everybody is different, you should do whatever works best for you and your weight loss journey.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    It' highly controversial. One side of the debate says it's nutritious, macro-friendly, and delicious. The other side says stupid stuff.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    It' highly controversial. One side of the debate says it's nutritious, macro-friendly, and delicious. The other side says stupid stuff.
    Well that's just the difference between science and sheep. One looks at the data the other link to youtube and start converting to nut nipples.
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options

Well said!
  • SEAFOODMAN
    Options
    mooooooooo
  • pbandbananas1996
    pbandbananas1996 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Trainers don't know everything. I'm lactose intolerant, so dairy is not the best option for me, but for many people, dairy is a great source of protein and it's filling as well. I see nothing wrong with it.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in reviewing the science:
    http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/dairy/

There is so much wrong with dairy that MFP doesn't have the space or bandwidth
    to contain it all :wink:

Well, that site seems totally legit... :yawn:
  • beautifulwarrior18
    Options
    Probably because we're the only mammal that drinks milk after we are weened and the only mammal that drinks the milk of another animal. Which is gross when you think about it so if you like dairy and don't want to give it up then just don't think about it. Personally I think the worst part of dairy is all the hormones and antibiotics they give the cows.
  • tbanov
    tbanov Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    How can anyone use "it's not natural" as an argument against dairy? If you're opposed to something due to the fact that it's unnatural, isn't it a bit hypocritical to make use of the Internet, or a computer or phone for that matter?
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    So what should you take instead? Calcium supplements??

My trainer told me the same when I was still using the gym. He told me to take supplements instead.

And I was like -- give up my milk for a pill? FAT CHANCE! I've been drinking milk and eating yoghurt since I was a little kid. I'm not taking any pills when I don't need them. That's just silly.
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Ha ha ha! Love it, plus I love cheese :).
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Probably because we're the only mammal that drinks milk after we are weened and the only mammal that drinks the milk of another animal. Which is gross when you think about it so if you like dairy and don't want to give it up then just don't think about it. Personally I think the worst part of dairy is all the hormones and antibiotics they give the cows.

First of all, so not true. Ever seen a cat drink a saucer of cow's milk??

And just drink organic. Poof, no hormones or antibiotics.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Some people believe we shouldn't have dairy because the only animals who drink other species' milk are humans, no other animal does, and hence it was not made for us (i.e. hormones that can cause health issues, etc.). Google something like should humans drink milk for days' worth of fun reading.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with dairy. If you are lactose intolerant… then it's another story. If you have ethical qualms about animal products, then it's another story too.

But aside from those two things… there is NOTHING wrong with dairy. It is a great source of protein and fat which makes it very satiating. It can sometimes be high in calorie because of the fat… but that's an argument for moderation and portion control, not cutting it out entirely.

Trainers =/= nutritionists. My experience is that they are often preaching nutrition according to their own agenda. Personal opinion…. when it comes to diet/nutrition, NEVER listen to a trainer who suggests cutting out or severely restricting any major food group. Unless you have medical issues… and even then, you are better off listening to your doctor instead of your trainer.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of my protein comes from dairy, and it did not cause my weight to "bang into whatever". I've been losing consistently and my hormonal balance is actually the best its ever been.

People tend over-complicate things. Eat whatever you want, in whatever quantity you want within your chosen calorie range, and do whatever exercise you want (or don't) and you will lose weight. The rest is just details.