Treadmill or elliptical?

Options
just curious... is one more effective than the other? i usually use the elliptical because i am scared to sprain my already weak and vulnerable ankle, but then sometimes i wonder, would i get a more effective work out on a treadmill?? i feel like the elliptical targets my legs, which i really am not concerned about. I do 3 miles in about 30 minutes, (40 minutes on a bad day) to burn around 350 - 360 calories. i know i could just go try it, but i don't want to waste an hour trying to get to 3 miles lol is it all about preference or is one better than the other?

Replies

• Jamberlee
    Options
    I have both at home and I do feel that I get a better whole body workout on my elliptical; But I don't run on my treadmill (wish I could).
  • sheriblevin
    Options
    elliptical def burns more calories. Much less impact if any on your knees. thats my problem. you can always do the machine with the arms
  • jhoyett
    jhoyett Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I can't give you a scientific expert because I'm not an expert. But I like the elliptical because it reduces shock. I'm so scared of running because I fear having to have knee and hip replacements in my old age. But that's just me...I guess I'm a punk!
  • jenrobyoung
    Options
    Treadmills do cause more shock to your lower body, and ellipticalls give a more full body workout. If you like to use equipment I would stick to what you are doing.
  • jillerin457
    Options
    I think elliptical is the clear winner! Lower impact, more full-body workout, burns at least as many calories. Too bad I have a treadmill. :(
  • shallott
    shallott Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Because I have knee and hip problems (at 32yrs old) I am a HUGE fan of the elliptical. There is virtually no strain and my endurance lasts a lot longer vs me trying to run on a treadmill. I do have my preferences, I like the smaller type of machine with the arm options.

I am able to complete a 10km (6.2 mile) run on the elliptical in 45 minutes and burn 867 calories in that time vs doing the same distance on a treadmill where it takes me 52 minutes for the same distance and I only burn 650 calories.

Note: I am a triathlete who does 90% of my run training on the elliptical and I still finish in the middle to top of the pack on the run course in my age group.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    To be honest I got quicker results on the treadmill. I use to exclusively work on the elliptical and after months it was slow moving and only felt like a warm up. Once I started on the treadmill I saw a difference in my whole body and I started losing quicker. I think it's personal preference, if you add resistance I think the elliptical can be challenging, and if you don't have any knee issues the treadmill works.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I definately feel like I get a more "REAL" workout when I do my treadmill work out. this consists of running/walking/jogging/sprints. I feel the eliptical cheats me a little bit and lies about how many calories i am really burning. I do like the eliptical though for days when I am feeling a little lazy :)
  • kayleed7495
    Options
    elliptical deffinatly burns more calories and is better on your knees and ankles.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    The calorie burn is pretty much equivalent, so its really a matter of preference. If you are training for a race/run or want general "outdoor cardio" shape - the treadmill is better. But with a weak ankle and/or knee concerns - the non-impact elliptical is a "smarter" choice for joints/ligaments.

When training for any race (5k through 1/2 marathon), I always say treadmill is only acceptable option (other than running outside, and right now we have 14" of snow!); but any other time it's elliptical 100%.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    yeah, i think the shock on my joints and bones was my main concern, besides feeling like my endurance would not be as good on a treadmill. thanks guys! i think i will stick to my eliiptical. i might give ol' tready a shot one day :)
  • thecanface
    Options
    I definately feel like I get a more "REAL" workout when I do my treadmill work out. this consists of running/walking/jogging/sprints. I feel the eliptical cheats me a little bit and lies about how many calories i am really burning. I do like the eliptical though for days when I am feeling a little lazy :)
    i feel the same on the elliptical "cheating"! lol i feel like i am not doing as much as i can do..
  • jennifer3998
    jennifer3998 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm elliptical all the way, but I have had a lot of knee problems so it's better for me. If you don't feel like you're getting enough of a workout, then maybe change the resistance. The trainer I asked told me that the resistance is way more important than the incline. My knees feel better on a lower incline (4) so I try to do 10min miles for 60 minutes at level 8 resistance (min).

Maybe change it up too - do both! It's all good!
  • berv0009
    berv0009 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I feel like I get a better workout on a treadmill. Maybe I don't push myself hard enough on the eliptical... but a good run always gets me sweating and feeling good. I can run for 30 minutes and burn almost 400 cals and it would take me way longer on an eliptical. In all honesty though, I prefer a real run. Feels great to run outside -- even in the winter. I love getting bundled up and going out there. But, as everyone said -- mostly is just a matter of prefrence and what your body/joints can handle.
  • TMR001
    TMR001 Posts: 37
    Options
    Someone in my circuit training class once asked the instructor..... "If we only have time to do one thing for working out what would you do?" The instructor hands down said the elliptical. With the instructions that you have to do it properly to get the maximum benefit. That means: pumping your arms, standing upright DO NOT LEAN ON THE MACHINE, use resistance, keep those strides per minute at a rate that challenges you.

Some at home machines may be limited in their ability to give you a good workout if you are very fit. The gym level ellipticals if done properly should be able to give you enough challenge to get any butt into shape.

I think however ellipticals are one of those machines you can easily cheat on. You lean on the bars or don't keep your strides per minute up it doesn't give you as a good a workout. The treadmill you can set to a pace you know challenges you and if you don't keep up your going to fall off.
  • thecanface
    Options
    Someone in my circuit training class once asked the instructor..... "If we only have time to do one thing for working out what would you do?" The instructor hands down said the elliptical. With the instructions that you have to do it properly to get the maximum benefit. That means: pumping your arms, standing upright DO NOT LEAN ON THE MACHINE, use resistance, keep those strides per minute at a rate that challenges you.

Some at home machines may be limited in their ability to give you a good workout if you are very fit. The gym level ellipticals if done properly should be able to give you enough challenge to get any butt into shape.

I think however ellipticals are one of those machines you can easily cheat on. You lean on the bars or don't keep your strides per minute up it doesn't give you as a good a workout. The treadmill you can set to a pace you know challenges you and if you don't keep up your going to fall off.

hmm, so i should be doing well.. i stand upright, pump the arms, incline at 10 and resistance at 5... is 5 too low?
  • triets
    triets Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a 39 y/o male that has had total hip replacements in both hips (my 1st one being done at 33). As of today it's been a yr and 3 months since my 2nd one, i have found that eliptical exercises have been the best on my joints. I can do 45 mins to an hr on elipitcal machines w/o and pain, sorness or achiness but just 15 mins on a treadmill and i sore for the next day or 2. Less impact makes for happier joints.