Too much walking, lack of strength training

Options
I walk 15 minutes every morning from the bus stop to school. I walk 15 minutes every evening from school to the bus stop. I walk 10 minutes to get my dinner at the canteen and 10 minutes back. I walk during lunch break for something to do. It's a huge amount of walking every day and I feel exhausted towards the end. But I am doing barely any strength/muscle training! Any suggestions about what to do?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions about what to do?

i dunno, maybe join a gym and start strength training?

and what you've described in this post doesn't seem to raise to the level of "too much walking"
  • DameonMacleod
    DameonMacleod Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    try weight training. light and easy when you start.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    That's a "huge amount" of walking? I'd say it's significant, but not too much by any stretch. If you can't get to the gym and you don't have equipment, research some body weight strength exercises - probably tons of info online...:flowerforyou:
  • beautifulwarrior18
    Options
    Yeah definitely not too much walking. A gym membership is pretty much the only place to start if you're not going to invest in equipment and I'd suggest maybe getting the help of a trainer or someone who knows what they're doing and can help you with form.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    For myself, I lose more weight by weight lifting. I have an amazing trainer and I learned and do a lot by using YouTube videos. Popsugar has an app that has a lot of great workout videos. Before my trainer I also used to rent workout dvds. I don't think you can have too much walking. You just need to not do the same old same old. Comunity centers have free fitness classes.
  • DavPul
    Options
    a very astute member of MFP pointed out to me that your diary, on completed days, tends to net less than 1000 cals per day and around 28 grams of protein. if you're suffering from a lack of energy after a day of 55 mins of walking, i think we're at the cusp of identifying the reason why.

1. eat more
    2. eat more protein
    3. join a gym
    4. lift sumthin heavy
  • pandagirlshonerd
    pandagirlshonerd Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Aye, I'm aware it doesn't seem like much, but leaving the house at half past seven, coming home at half past five, and being on my feet all day due to teaching or walking is pretty exhausting.

And yeah, you have a point about the calories. I've been trying to bulk them up a bit but due to my current situation I'm finding it very difficult (it's on another post I made somewhere).

Easy and gentle weight exercise idea's would be great, if anyone has any ideas.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    Options
    If your diet isn't in check weight lifting is only going to make you more exhausted. Fix that first then you can weight lift when you have that figured out.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I walk more than that just taking my daughter to school.... You are walking a little more than the average couch bound American. But that isn't much.

I think you should look elsewhere for sources of exhaustion. Like nutrition. (And get your vit stores checked, especially vit b.)

Humans are adapted to walk a lot each day. That is not your problem.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Regular calorie intake (not net). under a thousand cals. (800 yesterday. 600 day before.) Yeah. Walking is not your issue.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I don't see that that is a " huge " amount of walking......
    If you feel you need strength training, start doing some, but not at the cost of walking, because it's really not all that much you are doing.
    Example: I am over 65 and walk around 45-60 minutes for exercise. In addition I walk twice a day 30 minutes with the dog. I walk 20 minutes to the closest bus ( and of course 20 minutes back ) and 30 minutes to the subway. Also 25 minutes either way to the store or market. On days when I work at the office I walk a total of 220minutes minimum and think that it's a good chunk of time, but not huge.
    And btw: I live on a 4th floor without an elevator and walk a minimum of 512 steps a day, except on Sunday.
    if I would eat a 600 to 800 calorie diet of white rice and boiled cabbage with an occasional jack-in-the-box thrown in for variety, with all due respect, I would feel exhausted also. You need to eat more nutritious food, heck, even just more calories of anything will make you feel better. You are well on your way to malnourishment which manifests among other things as general weakness of all body systems .
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If you are in China and can't walk enough to get to the store to get food to eat enough calories then you should do what needs to be done. Buy a bicycle. Bike to the shop.

And please don't tell me that it's too dangerous. My mother biked in Shanghai at 60 for 3 years when she lived there in 1995.
  • pandagirlshonerd
    Options
    Pfft no, cycling here isn't dangerous (once you get used to the traffic flow). It's my lack of energy and lack of fiance to buy the nutritious food I need (fruit and veg here are 'expensive' - and the company I work for require me to eat at school which only provide the above X amount of food without an option of seconds). Maybe I should have titled this 'Help, I'm exhausted all the time'. :laugh:

I'll be heading to Shanghai (permanently - for the rest of my stay in China) next week, so if it's nutrition you all suggest, then please throw some general idea's in my direction. Particularly things that will boost me up for a few days.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to join a gym do pushups and squats.
  • antondegruchy
    Options
    If you do not want to do weights you could try Pilates as that does an amazing job of strengthening you core and your whole body and can be done anywhere for the rest of your life.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Pfft no, cycling here isn't dangerous (once you get used to the traffic flow). It's my lack of energy and lack of fiance to buy the nutritious food I need (fruit and veg here are 'expensive' - and the company I work for require me to eat at school which only provide the above X amount of food without an option of seconds). Maybe I should have titled this 'Help, I'm exhausted all the time'. :laugh:

I'll be heading to Shanghai (permanently - for the rest of my stay in China) next week, so if it's nutrition you all suggest, then please throw some general idea's in my direction. Particularly things that will boost me up for a few days.

I'm......not sure where to begin here. I mean, there's not many people on this board that can tell you about the low cost, indigenous foods of Shanghai.

And then.....you're coming up 1000 calories every day so things like "double cheeseburger" or "snickers bar" legit suggestions as it's damned hard to get 1000 cals from fruit and vegetables.

But then that last sentence of yours....... I mean, that's not how food works? You eat every day, usually several times per day. I'm not aware of foods that "boost people up" for several days at a time.
  • pandagirlshonerd
    Options
    Not for several days at a time, but over the course of several days. Eating regularly.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Nuts? There must be nuts in China.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Shanghai food - been twice and stayed with expats living locally (my parents and then friends) - I understand it is difficult to get fruits and vegetables in prepared dishes but the street markets are often fine - Fangbang Lu was great (keep to the unpeeled or peeled in front of you fruit). I are soooo many bananas....

Also, consider that you are going through exhaustion not only due to nutrtion but through "language assault" - it's exhausting to teach or to be submerged in another language and it takes quite a while to rebuild that into something that isn't constantly tiring. Taking moments to "drop out" into English might help but also extends the adaptation period.
  • splashtree2
    Options
    Aye, I'm aware it doesn't seem like much, but leaving the house at half past seven, coming home at half past five, and being on my feet all day due to teaching or walking is pretty exhausting.

And yeah, you have a point about the calories. I've been trying to bulk them up a bit but due to my current situation I'm finding it very difficult (it's on another post I made somewhere).

Easy and gentle weight exercise idea's would be great, if anyone has any ideas.

I used to walk a couple of hours per day per 5 days a week and now I run since 2years and I added strength training, easy and gentle is not a good approach if you want to substitute fat with muscles, you instead have to work hard, but I make you sure that few months of sacrifices are worth it, from 98 cm around my hips in 3months I went to 93cm and I shred more cm than kg and is OK, so weight lift is a MUST to shred fat