I'm here to be healthy!

Options
Okay, to start this out...

I am a large man, 300 pounds, 5'10, i still have a decent amount of muscle as my job is physical, I am pretty sure my problem is coming from overeating/not eating the right things. I am very committed to doing this, but i am having trouble motivating myself.

I have a few issues, I am not a fan of vegetables... scratch that, i despise them... I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy, i don't like rice, or generally anything good for you... I do like Spinach, its actually one of my favorite things to eat, i also like corn, beans of pretty much any kind (minus green), and i don't mind cucumbers. I used to eat celery when i was younger, i think i can get back into it. My big vice is cheese, i know i can cut back, but I still want to eat it.

I am looking to get down to 250 as a starting goal, 220 is my big goal. I really am looking for some advice on what to do, I want to exercise more, but what should i be doing? How should i be eating as someone who really dislikes vegetables and rice, it truly makes it hard.

Any and all help is very much appreciated. I am just unhappy in my skin right now, and i want it to get fit, i miss the days of having the energy to go play sports and go have fun.

Thank you all in advance, and i WILL keep this updated and show my progress, and hopeful success story!

Replies

• LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Many people here will tell you that you CAN lose weight without giving up the foods you love. Obviously we all should make healthy choices, but you don't have to eliminate anything. MFP will give you an idea of a good caloric level to lose weight on. Don't go too low. I'm six weeks in, so not a pro, but just wanted to give you some very basic advice.
    Wishing you a lot of success here.
  • rainrain83
    rainrain83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    a good way to start to try new foods is to sign up to a healthy food delivery program
    just for a couple of weeks
    so you can try all the foods you should be eating & see what your portion sizes should be.
    then once you get the hang of it you can make your own versions
    of the food you enjoyed.
    in australia we have lite n easy. it takes all the hard work out of it
    and if you don't eat anything else there is not way you won't loose weight.

good luck.
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Eat the things you like that are good for you. Have a vegan meal of yummy potatoes cooked in a good way (oven fries, baked, etc). I don't eat thinks I don't like. Potatoes, corn and rice,(whole gran is much better) aren't bad, and neither is cucumber. Go to town eating the good things you like.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    All you need for weight loss is a calorie deficit. Don't make it complicated, or harder than it needs to be. Eat what you want, within your deficit. You'll naturally start making adjustments to accommodate.

Vegetables: There are lots and lots of vegetables in the world, and lots of ways to prepare them. Experiment. Try new things. You're bound to find at least a few that you enjoy.

Exercise, try different things until you find something you like. There are lots of different types of exercise. Again, all you really need for weight loss is a calorie deficit, and exercise helps create one.

Edit for typo.
  • jeep2961
    jeep2961 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am a cheese lover also, but I found that just 1 or 2 lowfat laughing cow peices of creamy swiss as a mid morning or mid afternoon snack found in the refrigerated aisle or weight watchers halepeno string cheese satisfies my cheese craving, both taste great for a low caloric low fat alternative :-) be sure to have a half an apple or other healthy carb with the protein for a complete snack.
  • chahayd
    Options
    I too are hear to be healthy