Cheese percentage and calories

Options
hey guys, is there a way to know the calories in cheese by the percentages they show in the label? (humidity, protein,fat)

Thanks!

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    What is the type and weight?

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
  • andresconejo
    Options
    I just bought some Queso Fresco but i dont know the calories exactly... only the percentages
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Does it have a brand name? You can find almost anything on the internet.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options
    One thing that is pretty standard with cheese is that softer cheeses have less fat, whereas harder cheeses have less carbs. I love cheese so much I will dream about the stuff. Now that I've seen this post, I am going to plan some into tomorrow's menu!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    One thing that is pretty standard with cheese is that softer cheeses have less fat, whereas harder cheeses have less carbs. I love cheese so much I will dream about the stuff. Now that I've seen this post, I am going to plan some into tomorrow's menu!

Yep, I bought a tub of ricotta the other day, so I planned tomorrow around that. Homemade pizza dough is rising overnight in the fridge as we speak. I'll also have baked pesto shrimp pasta with ricotta in individual pots.

BECAUSE CHEEEEEEESE!!!
  • Salford_IT_Help
    Salford_IT_Help Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    1 g of fat= 9 calories
    1g of protein= 4 calories
    1g of carbohydrate= 4 calories

I found this but don't know how accurate it is. I thought fat was ~ 8 Cal / g and Carbs more than protien. But you will be ~ in the ball park with the cheese.

Humidity (water) = Nil

20 g of 35% fat cheese would have (20 x 0.35 x 9) = 63 Cal from fat

if the same cheese had 10% carbs and 30% protein then the total calories would be...

63 + (20 x 0.1 x 4) + (20 x 0.3 x 4) = 95 Calories

NB To make the maths easier add the protein and carb % together as the Cal densities are the same so you only need two sets of parentheses.