What's up with dairy?

Options
13»

Replies

• RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    So what should you take instead? Calcium supplements??

My trainer told me the same when I was still using the gym. He told me to take supplements instead.

And I was like -- give up my milk for a pill? FAT CHANCE! I've been drinking milk and eating yoghurt since I was a little kid. I'm not taking any pills when I don't need them. That's just silly.

If I weren't lactose intolerant, I'd be drinking it up religiously. But to play devil's advocate a little, you won't automatically be without calcium should you give up milk. There are very many food sources that contain minimal to significant amounts of calcium.
  • kazzsj0urney
    Options
    Unless your vegetarian or vegan or have a medical,issue there is no reason to cut out dairy.
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    So what should you take instead? Calcium supplements??

My trainer told me the same when I was still using the gym. He told me to take supplements instead.

And I was like -- give up my milk for a pill? FAT CHANCE! I've been drinking milk and eating yoghurt since I was a little kid. I'm not taking any pills when I don't need them. That's just silly.

If I weren't lactose intolerant, I'd be drinking it up religiously. But to play devil's advocate a little, you won't automatically be without calcium should you give up milk. There are very many food sources that contain minimal to significant amounts of calcium.

Yes, but I hate leafy greens. :laugh:

Also I'm prone to calcium deficiency if I don't eat dairy. I don't know why that's just what my blood tests suggest. *shrugs* Either way I aint leavin' my milk. :wink:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Probably because we're the only mammal that drinks milk after we are weened and the only mammal that drinks the milk of another animal. Which is gross when you think about it so if you like dairy and don't want to give it up then just don't think about it. Personally I think the worst part of dairy is all the hormones and antibiotics they give the cows.

We're also the only mammal to cook our food, drive cars, and fly airplanes. Your logic is lacking
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The Chinese medicine perspective may not be of interest to you but my acupuncturist doesn't like when I eat too much dairy. She says it's congesting or something (who knows). She always seems to know when I have overindulged. I have cut back but I still put milk in my coffee and eat Greek yogurt in the morning because I want the protein and I like how it tastes. Also, life entirely without cheese isn't worth living. She seems ok with that. Life in moderation!
  • pallentx
    pallentx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think most of this is coming from the vegan world. I have seen some credible stuff on dairy and cancer - had something to do with a specific protein in dairy. There could be something to that, but the risk bump cant be too strong or else it would be much easier to prove, I would think. Its also complicated by how the milk producers have basically hijacked the FDA for so long to get dairy declared as an essential food group. You absolutely don't "need" dairy, and I wouldn't go so far as to get all my protein from dairy (a balanced diet is key), but I think its mostly harmless and delicious.

As for the only mammals to do it. That makes sense as we are also the only animals with the intelligence to plant crops and other means of producing our own food. How would other animals get milk? We know for a fact that when they have access to milk, many animals will consume it - cats(even though its probably not good for them), rodents, etc...