I can't do a pull up.

Options
13»

Replies

212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Get some of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/P90X-Chin-up-Max-Pull-up-Assist/dp/B005DA64QG

Those work really well. Also depending on how heavy you are you may need to lose some weight as well.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    All the advice here is fabulous but I'd just like to add a suggestion, I'd highly recommend a pull-up bar at home - the kind you put on the door.

I tried building up to a chin-up with bands and doing reverses for months. Got one for my kitchen door, kept trying one every time I went in there and managed my first one within a week - 2 in a row after a month. I can do 2 reps weighted (5lb :laugh: ) and 1 full BW pull-up so far :happy:

Don't feel bad about not getting one right off the bat - they're HARD!!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    :ohwell:

I keep getting caught out with old threads today
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    This seems appropriate.

funny-sports-gifs-bodybuilder-fail.gif
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I am female and I can do 6-7 wide grip. They are easy for me. Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftIxAq8PdYs

Honestly. I feel that the military requirements for 3 pull ups minimum are TOO LOW and pathetic... and that is coming from a woman. If you can't do 3 with just body weight you have no business being in the military. Also, the military is not even strict on pull ups, they allow NARROW GRIP... from the videos I've seen online of marines doing pull ups etc their grip is WAY narrower than the pull up bars at my gym. They also allow chin ups (palms facing towards your face) which are a joke and easier because it uses more biceps. I'm not training to be in no army; just for LOOKS and AESTHETICS and I can do WIDE grip which is much more difficult than the armed forces require.

It is only a LITTLE bit harder for females to do pull ups, not a TON harder. I know because I am FEMALE. Strength is something that can be trained for. A female who strength trains (bench, row, deadlift, squat, OHP, dips etc) and trains for strength exclusively will be stronger than an untrained male. When people say they can't do pull ups because it's sooooo much harder for them because they are a woman is a sign of mental weakness. I say that because I can do them and it's not THAT hard. It's very achievable to do many pull ups if you are not overweight.

Pull ups are only a matter of training your CNS to adapt to the movement. The easiest way to learn them is to do negatives. I never used bands or assisted machine. Wouldn't be caught dead on those lame machines. Once you can do one just do singles like maybe 12 singles throughout the day spread out. That's called "Greasing The Groove". Once you can do that just do a ladder program like Pavel's Pull Up Program. The key is not to max out but to get your CNS to adapt the movement pattern. Other than that it's quite easy.

I also trained upper (bench, row, etc) so my upper body strength is decent. Right now I barbell row almost my body weight...

If you are overweight then it's a different matter. However, I am also strong enough to do weighted pull ups (with neutral grip) with an extra 10 lbs added for reps; more for a single I'm sure.

Oh. It's you. Welcome back.
  • jstarz002
    Options
    It is only a LITTLE bit harder for females to do pull ups, not a TON harder. I know because I am FEMALE.

Fascinating support for your assertion.

From my own experience. Let's take an untrained guy and assume at best he can do 3 wide grip pull ups untrained. A woman can easily reach that within a few months of training (if they train properly, not HALF ASSED TRAINING like in that one NY Times article). I am talking about negatives, heavy rows, grip strength training focusing on specific exercises to strengthen the grip. That to me is not SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult. It depends on your perspective. I am a person who is much more mentally tougher and dedicated to building strength than the average male or female. So for ME; a few months of negatives is nothing. A few months time is VERY minor when compared over a lifetime of lifting and building strength.

People who think training a few months means that it is MUCH harder for women to do pull ups are wrong. It's due to the fact that most people are weak minded and not mentally tough enough to persevere in the face of a minor obstacle. It is very minor and the truth is that a trained female can outlift many weak males in the gym.

I apply the same determination to lifting and building strength as if I were fighting for my life or going into battle. I train like an athlete and visualize every set before I lift. I fantasize about lifting anytime I have a spare moment. If you are a casual gym goer and giggle after attempting some half assed pull ups and giggle about how hard it is then yea; it will be harder for you.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    This seems appropriate.

funny-sports-gifs-bodybuilder-fail.gif
    I just laughed so loud I woke up the baby.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    It is only a LITTLE bit harder for females to do pull ups, not a TON harder. I know because I am FEMALE.

Fascinating support for your assertion.

Well worth bumping a months old thread, right?

Somebody wants a cookie and a pat on the head.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Doing pull ups is an admirable goal!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0

The second one is a Scooby Workshop and I have been following that one and it is helping. Good luck with this!

I was hoping someone would mention Scooby. Pull ups are one of my targets and that process seems do-able, even at home. It will take however long is needed, and I am committed to doing it.

Of course, losing the next 25 pounds will really help.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I consider myself fairly fit and I can't do one - yet! It's definitely a fitness goal of mine.

But what I really wanted to say to you is this: props for trying, even with other people in the gym. It's clear you aren't intimidated to just go out there and try things. (And please don't let this one bump in the road kill that for you.) You've got more guts than I do, OP.

Keep at it!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad, pull ups are my NEMESIS! I spent 6 months training with an assisted pull up machine in college and still couldn't manage ONE! I will get there one day though dammit! I was doing the lat pull downs and was up to 5x5 with 130 lbs (I'm 174lbs) but the machine in my apartment complex broke! Still can barely hang there for more than a few seconds at a time and can make NO upward movement...

Seriously, that was not anything you needed to feel embarrassed about. As you can see from all the replies, everyone who's really tried doing a pull up knows exactly what that feels like!

Quoting myself from February. Started barbell training SL 5x5 same month. Switched to 5/3/1 in June and included chin ups as one of my accessory lifts. I started with the reverse chin ups and then moved to chin ups with a resistance band about a month ago.

As of this week I can do one unassisted chin up, and several after that with a 30 band in place. I tried a pull up, still not quite there, but I got more than half way up and I haven't even started officially training a pull up yet. I'm only 10 pounds lighter than I was in February, and while I'm sure that helped, I've certainly been this weight before and not able to do a chin up or pull up. It really is all about regularly training for it. You'll get there eventually.
  • browndog1410
    Options
    Hi there,
    It doesn't matter what others can or can't do. It only matters what you do. Good on you for trying and keep at it. There will always be someone better and worse than you. Everyone, even really strong blokes, have to start somewhere. Chances are they would probably try to help you anyway.
    If you want to do pull-ups or chin-ups (and I do lots of them) you can start by getting on a bench / stool so you are up to the bar at chin / chest height and then lower yourself down under as slowly as possible. This is using your weight to assist building up the lats, shoulders and biceps. You will eventually be able to do one then two etc
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I use the monkey bars at the playground to try (and fail at) pull ups. I have tried reversing and it's a good place to start. Soon I'll be able to slowly lower myself instead of falling in a heap. Baby steps!
  • sarah_hite
    sarah_hite Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would be satisfied (for now) if I could just get across monkey bars. Right now I can't hang from one arm for the brief period of time to move my other hand to the next bar. :blushing:
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I'm trying them as well, dang those things are hard. I see some guys over there and they make it look so easy. I'm slowly lowering the weight on my assisted - right now I'm at 40lbs. I'm also doing negatives and dead hangs a couple times a week. We will get there!! We will feel like such bad *kitten* when we do :flowerforyou:
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I would be satisfied (for now) if I could just get across monkey bars. Right now I can't hang from one arm for the brief period of time to move my other hand to the next bar. :blushing:

The only time i could cross the monkey bars was A. Crawling across the top. B. Sitting on someone's shoulders.