Why am I so cold all the time now

Options
I've lost 31 pounds so far, and I am absolutely freezing all the time, particularly my hands and feet. No shivering, although I feel like it. My ear thermometer shows my temperature between 96.6 and 97.4, which not alarming in of itself, it is still below the 98.6. Pulse rate also lowered a bit. What gives?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Fat loss = increased blood flow to areas of the body where fat is stored = decreased blood flow to areas where there isn't much fat (like hands and feet) = cold hands and feet
  • AMRROL
    AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Makes sense, but it is frustrating me. I just feel all the well being cold all the time now.
  • kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm cold all of the time now, too. Folks at work make fun of me.

Makes sense though, I've lost a lot of insulation.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Loss of body fat adds to loss of insulation (warmth).
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    gloves and socks my friend... gloves and socks.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I just figure I've lost my layer of protective blubber...
  • kjm_723
    kjm_723 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have always been "cold natured" even 80 lbs overweight my hands and feet would be cold. People at work would call me "ice fingers" and when they were hot I'd cool them off by putting my hands on their neck. Seriously. Anyway last fall and winter after I'd lost about 70 lbs, I was completely miserable, I'd be absolutely shivering and cold even in outside temperatures of low 60's. But I think my body temperature is adjusting. My hands and feet are still a little cold, but I don't think it will be like last year. Perhaps your body will adjust eventually too.
  • DianeFrannie
    Options
    I am cold most of the time also. Blaming medications.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm that way too, especially after a good , sweaty workout. It usually happens right after my cool/down and shower and then I literally freeze for a few hours. It's especially worse in winter. I just assume it's from all the sweating and my body's effort from trying to cool me down, but it sure lasts a long time! I just wear more clothes until a hot flash kicks in. (another WHOLE topic, lol)
    Oddly, I also find that when this happens, I have crazy energy, kind of adhd-like. Weird.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Put a Jumper/Top on. Just a thought you could try that or some other Doohickey
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I'm down 100+ lbs, and from about 50+ down I noticed feeling chilly as well ... used to be I was always too hot, and my wife was always too cold. I just started wearing fleece or sweatshirts, and all was well again.
    Benefit ... in the summers, I was previously always hot and sweaty. This summer, I was nice and comfortable.
    I'm happy to have shed all of that excess "insulation".
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Anecdotally, as many people have mentioned, less fat can often lead to feeling colder. This also happens as people age, as you usually lose body fat (although this is well into old age). I used to be 200lbs, very high body fat %, and just walking up the stairs would make me sweat! and I was always overheated sooo easily. when I lost weight down to ~140lbs, I had more issues feeling cold.

Is it all over or just in extremities? If it's worrying you then go for blood tests. I've always had poor circulation so my hands and feet are likely to either feel really hot or really cold, but when I lost weight the coldness was just all over. Increased sensitivity to cold due to a lower body fat, which is normal. If no other symptoms are present (lightheaded, dizzy, sore, sickness, constipation/diarrhea, memory lapses, ANYTHING out of the ordinary) then it's probably nothing to be concerned about :)

Edited: unless your pulse rate is super low, the lowering is normal. Your body is likely healthier now at a lower weigh, less strain on your heart and organs overall. But like I said, if any of this is really concerning you, just go get checked up to make sure nothing has changed outside of the weight loss.