Is it safe to eat eggs every day?

Options
2»

Replies

• astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I eat at least one boiled egg a day (they are filling and cheap). When I was a kid, I had high cholesterol. It wasn't due to eating eggs. It was due to eating lots of junk food and baked sweets and sitting on my keister all day.
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    It's quite safe to eat eggs. I know you are on a budget but - Please please please only eat free range eggs. What a caged bird has to endure doesn't bear thinking about.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    It's quite safe to eat eggs. I know you are on a budget but - Please please please only eat free range eggs. What a caged bird has to endure doesn't bear thinking about.

I actually do. I get free range eggs sold at Trader Joe's. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yes...the incredible, edible egg...ounce for ounce one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. The whole cholesterol thing was busted decades ago, but for whatever reason people like to live in the 80's. Dietary cholesterol has little to no impact on blood serum cholesterol...your liver produces far more cholesterol than you could ever consume...not to mention, you cannot absorb esterified cholesterol which dietary cholesterol is prodemantly made up of.

I eat eggs pretty much every day...they have a lot of nutrition (an it's pretty much all in the yolk), provide a good bit of protein and healthy fat. I used to have very high levels of HDL...I'm in the optimal range now and like I said, I eat eggs daily.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Good info here. I was wondering the same thing since there is a history of cholesterol problems in my family.
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options

I actually do. I get free range eggs sold at Trader Joe's. :)
    :-D
  • MatthewAlaska
    Options
    I'm eating six hardboiled eggs a day. It's my staple go to protein. Eggs Best. My cholesterol is just fine.

Egg away!
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I love eggs! But when I'm counting calories I tend to just eat egg whites. I'm never full off of two whole eggs plus whatever I add to them and i like to get creative. So I do 4 egg whites which is half the calories in 2 whole eggs and gives me more calories to work with for the meal. I don't worry about the 0 cholesterol in egg whites as I get my cholesterol elsewhere throughout the day. Eggs are so wonderfully delicious!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    yes it is. egg yolk contains cholesterol but recent research suggests that the kind of cholesterol in egg yolk does not increase blood cholesterol levels, and may in fact lower it.

so eat your eggs

note: people with medical conditions that affect how the body utilises cholesterol may not be able to eat egg yolks - consult a doctor in those cases.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    also, a whole egg is only 75 calories (give or take, depending on the size of the egg) - it's not exactly a high calorie food....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Unless it's an ostrich egg, I think you're fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Unless it's an ostrich egg, I think you're fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

or a dinosaur egg
    hatching+dinosaur+eggs+close+up.jpg