protein powder??

Options
So I bought some vanilla protein powder and well umm lets just say I am not such a big fan. I have tried a couple of different shakes but can still taste the overwhelming nastiness of it. So I am curious to see if anyone knows if I can use it to make other things. I thought about using it like powdered milk in things but it has the vanilla flavor to it so I didn't know if that would be ok. HELP any ideas welcomed. Thanks so much in advance.

Replies

• Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I sometimes mix mine in milk for after a workout. Or you could try making a smoothie and mixing into that. It taste kinda bad. But I chug it most of the time.
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one, maybe like in a hungrygirl cake or desert of some kind? Or pudding? FYI - I like the Syntha6 Chocolate peanut butter. Tastes like reeses :)
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I'm startin' today on Strawberry Whey Protein...My Husband says its not a good taste, he tells me to slam it back when I do it. I would like to see what others will advice...
  • sportsqueen32
    Options
    My opinion on protein powders is sure they have protein but a lot of other unnecessary ingredients. Your better off having peanut butter. My husband took a nutritional science class and he found them to be useless. If your worried about getting your vitamins and nutrients take a multi vitamin geared to you.
  • paulettac
    paulettac Posts: 101
    Options
    You can add it to orange gatorde for a cremecicle flavor or add the powder to pancake mix for flavored pancakes, or add to oatmeal.
  • heatherhart
    heatherhart Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I always buy the the chocolate kind wix it with water & ice in the shaker and drink it fast lol but it doesnt taste that bad. Another idea is if you buy the unflavored kind you can use water & add a crystal light on the go package thats like 10 cals makes it taste better too
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Syntha-6 chocolate peanut butter mixed with almond milk. Awesome taste, 21 grams protein, low carb.
  • knighttrain74
    knighttrain74 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I use Muscle Milk Light, it comes in different flavors so maybe you'll find one you will like.... but most protein powders aren't something you will think are delicious
  • stephr37
    Options
    I use the Synthia6 strawberry - the guy at the nutriition store recommended that I mix it with 8-12 oz of very cold water rather than milk so that it will have less of an impact on my diet (and stomach). He also recommended that I eat a carb either with it or shortly after so that my body will metabolize the protien more efficiently. So far so good! THIS SHAKE IS TASTY! I never thought I would say that either!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    If you bought a store brand, I can totally understand. Luckily Loblaws took my first batch back a year ago even 1/2 empty due to the guarantee they printed on the label. That nasty jar pushed me away from protein powder for over a year. Now I have a chocolate and vanilla one I love that cost less actually $29 for 5 lbs.

Here is what I made recently. It may not be the prettiest muffin ever but they were delicious! Also, if you are making shakes are you blending or just shaking or mixing? Blending makes all the difference in the world even if you have nothing in it but milk/water. Add fruit like raspberries and blueberries to make it taste more like fruit than vanilla.

Vanilla Protein Powder Bran Muffins

½ cup All Bran cereal
    ½ cup skim milk
    ½ cup egg beaters
    ½ tsp baking powder
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/8 cup blueberries
    1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (mine is 123 calories & 26 g protein)

151 calories, 377mg sodium, 19g carbs,78g fiber,12g fat, 20 g protein

2 WW Points.

Directions: Mix milk and egg together. In a separate bowl, mix cereal, cinnamon, and baking powder. Combine liquids with dry ingredients. Let sit for at least 20 minutes. You can even prepare the mix the night before and leave it in the refrigerator; this step is important in order to allow the bran cereal to soften and absorb the milk. Spray 2 mugs with cooking spray, divide batter between mugs, microwave 2 minutes 25 seconds then tip onto plate and serve. Makes 2 muffins.

Picture351.jpg
  • brookeybaby_00
    brookeybaby_00 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I like the GNC Be-buff. I like to mix half as scoop with half a package of the yoplait smoothie with 1 1/2 cups of milk. Really yummy! Makes 2 portions at about 160 cals each.
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    This is an interesting thread. I have come to the conclusion I am never going to get enough protein by food alone because i just can't get enough meat in my diet, and by the time i add most of my protein-laden foods to my diet i am almost out of calories for the day. So I have been considering giving in to supplement shakes, but they all come in such HUGE containers ate around $15-$20 a pop, I don't want to buy one that is going to taste like a foot and not be able to finish it. Maybe I need to hit a GNC or something and see if i can find some samples.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I don't want to buy one that is going to taste like a foot and not be able to finish it. Maybe I need to hit a GNC or something and see if i can find some samples.

Check out the label, see if there is a money back guarantee; there often is on grocery store brands. Or pick up Body Fortress from Walmart, its $19 Cdn for 2 lbs and its Walmart, what don't they accept as a refund, lol!!

I always wanted to try that with the fruit punch and cookies and cream flavours. They sound so fun but maybe not for everyday.
  • jasonruiz
    Options
    I drink mine just straight with water but my wife likes it with half a serving of milk and 3 ice cubes in a blender with strawberries or some other fruit. but it also depends on the brand because not all powders are created equal. The ones I've found are good are Optimum Nutrition Gold standard and BSN Syntha-6 and Lean dessert.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I blend mine with some frozen strawberries and a splash of skim milk...tastes just like a strawberry shake!
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Add a scoop to vanilla almond milk. It's what i do and i like it:ohwell:
  • sarajbooker
    Options
    So I bought some vanilla protein powder and well umm lets just say I am not such a big fan. I have tried a couple of different shakes but can still taste the overwhelming nastiness of it. So I am curious to see if anyone knows if I can use it to make other things. I thought about using it like powdered milk in things but it has the vanilla flavor to it so I didn't know if that would be ok. HELP any ideas welcomed. Thanks so much in advance.

Try this recipe - I LOVE them!!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/160267-no-bake-pb-protein-bars
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I use Muscle Milk Light, it comes in different flavors so maybe you'll find one you will like.... but most protein powders aren't something you will think are delicious

Although Muscle milk probably has the best votes for taste it is the WORST Whey protein for weight loss. It should only be used for those trying to gain weight or build muscle. Read the labels, it has almost 3X the amount of calories as Optimal nutritions whey protein, not to mention fat and carb content. Just sayin....
  • currlygirrl
    currlygirrl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have the GNC Lean Shake Protein powder...it tastes GREAT!! If you want to experiment with different things GNC is a great place to get them...they have a fantastic return policy and if you get a Gold Card you can save 20% on your purchases.
  • SpiritualCrone
    Options
    I am a fan of Spirutein. It comes in many flavors and even sample packs you can try. I mix mine with skim milk and a banana for an on-the-go breakfast. The real trick is blending it thoroughly. I have to use my blender to get the best results. My favorite flavor is Cookies and Cream.