Protein and Fiber

Options
I usually go over my protein and fiber intake on most days, how bad is this for me. My goal is not necessarily to lose a lot of weight but to be in shape and more definition in my body.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein at 15% of total calories which is rather low for those that do any resistance training. Many nutritionist recommend a diet consisting of 10-30% protein, on the high end for those that workout. So you can double your protein and still be in the range that wold be considered part of a balanced diet. For fiber, you should use that number as a minimum not a maximum or ideal amount.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    If you over...those are two areas that you should!!!! Great job!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Recommended daily intake for Fiber is 28 grams... Protein is about 1/2 gram per pound of body weight 200lbs = 100 grams etc.

MFP has very low settings for Fiber & Protein, and way high settings for carbs.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Depends upon what levels you have your protein and fiber set to. I shoot for a daily goal of 30 grams of fiber a day. It's hard to stay within one's calorie limit and get too much fiber. Same goes for the protein, within a restricted calorie diet. Just don't overdo it so much on protein that you give up the benefits/nutrients of healthy fats and good, healthy complex carbs. :)
  • WhiteStar2351
    Options
    More protein and fibre is fine - the protein on MFP is set FAR too low for anybody that does any form of exercise. It's fine to eat more providing your overall calorie intake is still lower then expenditure.
  • jeebsah
    jeebsah Posts: 39
    Options
    I agree with everyone here. I had to manual set my protein goal on MFP to a higher amount. I just started working out heavily again and my goal is to be as lean as possible by April 2011 so I changed my goal to a 40/40/20 diet. Which is 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fat; MFP has it set to 55/15/30 by default. You can customize you diet to a different percentage, for example you can have a goal of 40/30/30, 50/30/20...so forth. Here's how to calculate a diet of 40/40/20

total amount of carbs for the day=
    (total number of calories x .40)/4

total amount of protein for the day=
    (total number of calories x .40)/4

total amount of fat for the day=
    (total number of calories x .20)/9

.......As for fiber, the more the better. I read somewhere that over 45 grams might be considered too much.
  • carrieannrose
    carrieannrose Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Were you able to change the percentages on MFP somehow? I can't seem to figure out how.