my diet is sucking alot

Options
I am a huge picky eater and want to lose weight but what should I do to help me lose weight if the only fruits I love are watermelon or apples.. I only like potatoes as a vegteble and corn but I'm trying to lose 60 lbs by June. And get a six pack.

Today u have had a feeling of eating junk food and Chips an unhealthy stuff :(

Replies

• Memowe
    Memowe Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Potatoes and Corn are high in carbohydrates! A large potato has 64g of carbs, and one cup of corn has 123g. Both without adding any butter or other things. Try adding in vegetables in places that you wouldn't normally expect them, in your sandwich add some lettuce or fresh spinach, they don't have much flavor so they're easy vegetables to start with. If you like crunchy and spicy things try radishes. As for fruits you can do what I do and pick out a new fruit every week, you may end up hating them but sometimes you might find one you like. Sometimes its just picking a different type of apple, and sometimes it's picking out fruits you've never heard of. I learned that I really dislike papaya, but guavas and lychees are amazing. Also decide on the food if you like the flavor or the texture. If you like the texture of an apple, asian pears and jicama are very close in texture. The best way to like new foods is by trying them, so be adventurous and try something you normally wouldn't!
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I eat nearly all carbs and I'm losing weight because I am a whole foods vegan. Potatoes and corn are carbs, and they are not bad. In fact potatoes and corn are full of nutrients and have fiber. Your body's muscles and your brain only run on glucose, a carbohydrate.
    And if you eat lots of apples and watermelon, that sounds very good for you to me.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Its fine if you like potatoes and corn. Just eat them within your calorie goals. Fruits and veggies are great ways to get lots of nutrition without a lot of calories and are important for good health. But for weight loss alone… it's all about calorie deficit.

If you want to try to incorporate more fruits and veggies into your diet… then you can try sneaking them in through soups. Adding lettuce or spinach to a sandwich is a great way to do it as well like a previous poster suggested. There are lots of ways to disguise veggies… parents do it all the time for kids. Try googling some ideas. Go into it slowly. Try adding just one veggie that's the least objectionable. Fruit is the same way. But in the meantime apples and watermelon are great start. And apples you can typically get year around.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I thought you only ate eggs. :huh:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    The one and only requirement to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Some people find that a deficit is easier to maintain if they cut carbs, and some people don't. If you like potatoes and corn, then eat potatoes and corn...just make sure you're eating amounts that allow you to keep a calorie deficit.

Try saving calories in other ways...make sure that your potatoes are fresh, whole potatoes, not chips or instant mashed potatoes or frozen fries. Try using greek yogurt instead of mayo or sour cream in potato recipes. Try using lighter cheeses like riccota or cottage cheese, or try using smaller amounts of strongly flavored cheese like Asiago. Be careful with butter and oils.

Then try sneaking in some other veggies...like peas and carrots with your corn, broccoli and cheese in a baked potato, etc. Try lots of new things...winter squash is in season now, and it's sweet, delicious, low in calories, high in fiber and vitamins, and extremely easy to cook. Buttnernut, delicata, sweet dumpling, blue hubbard, acorn...even pumpkin can be baked and mashed and eaten as a side dish.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I hate fruits and veggies too. You'll be fine, it won't affect your weight loss.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I eat nearly all carbs and I'm losing weight because I am a whole foods vegan.

Really? that's the reason? .... WRONG - it's because you are eating at an energy deficit.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    This will make things harder for you since vegetables are great for bulking up your portions leaving you full, but if you stay within calorie limit just eat whatever you want (or hide those pesky veggies in a way where you don't feel the taste). You may want to add a multi-vitamin and some fiber supplement to the mix since you don't get enough of these if you don't eat enough vegetables.

Another option for you may be low carbing, if you like meats and fat. Then you would only need to worry about eating a small amount of vegetables every day, just enough to get some fiber.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

Haha same!
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Focus on short term goals, make it a goal this week to try some new veggies and fruits. Try different methods of preparing, or sneak some veggies in things like pasta sauce. Or make a big soup.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I am a huge picky eater and want to lose weight but what should I do to help me lose weight if the only fruits I love are watermelon or apples.. I only like potatoes as a vegteble and corn but I'm trying to lose 60 lbs by June. And get a six pack.

Today u have had a feeling of eating junk food and Chips an unhealthy stuff :(

The more times you try new vegetables and fruits and the more ways you prepare them the more chance you will widen your picky eating habits to incorporate them which is a long term gain

Toddlers are picky eaters, 21 year old man should use their brains and will power to get over it

So take each vegetable and try ...fill your plate with things you love and add a vegetable and make yourself eat it ...you have to try something around 30 times before discounting it because taste buds are trainable ....and change with age and time

Try different ways ...take the humble carrot ...raw with a dip like hummus, grated in a salad, grated mixed with grated cheese in a jacket potato, chopped small into a shepherds pie, boiled, mashed with potato, mashed with suede, roasted with olive oil, made into soup

Discounting entire food groups is for small children
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options

Haha same!

Ohhhhh I was sure I had seen the OP somewhere before. Now I remember.
    It's the six pack by June and eats only eggs guy.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I hate fruits and veggies too. You'll be fine, it won't affect your weight loss.
    One word 'Scurvy' and another word 'Doohickey'
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    Eat what you want. I eat rubbish. I don't have motivation to eat healthy. I am just letting myself get a flat stomach through losing weight. I'm 144lb. And continuing to get thinner.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You'll still be able to lose weight eating the stuff you do like - just less of it.

See if you can try out some new veggies occasionally though, you might surprise yourself and find something you like.
  • Jollybeard
    Jollybeard Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to tell what your motivation is for posing the issue in the first place. If what you want to hear is that it is okay to simply eat corn, potatoes, watermelon, and apples then you can find someone who will tell you that (eat those foods in moderation and at a calorie deficit and you'll be fine). Truthfully, however, that would be a pretty meager diet and one that I would grow bored with very quickly and find it easy to slip back into bad habits.

If this was my situation, I would start by trying to expand my repertoire by choosing foods similar in texture and taste. Some things you'll like and some you won't, but unless you're willing to experiment then you're stuck with the foods you are comfortable with. So

Potatoes (starchy, mashable, earthy tasting) - try baked rutabaga, slow simmered parsnips with carrots, baked turnips, baked sweet potatoes, other root vegetables. Most have the same or similar mouthfeel and taste profile as white potato.

Corn (juicy, slightly sweet) - try snap peas, red bell peppers, edamame (all kind of crisp and slightly sweet)

Watermelon (juicy, sweet) - most other melons have similar taste profiles and textures: honeydew, cantaloupe, but really … watermelon is pretty darn good and low on glycemic load.

Apples (juicy, sweet, firm texture) - apples are good too, a little higher in glycemic load but not bad at all. But if you like apples, you might very well like peaches, pears and apricots as well.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel that you must eat fruit and veggies to lose weight??

I thought the egg diet was working for you?

Really its pretty simple. Eat whatever you want within moderation maintaining a daily deficit. Count calories and log your food into MFP sticking to the given calorie goal. If you workout eat most or all of your exercise calories back. Watch the weight drop!
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Be wary of the "Alot", they are a sneaky and treacherous foe. They cause weight gain every time...

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html
  • Rederizer
    Options
    Haha yes the egg diet is working just last couple days I've been having other snacks in the day because after 4 weeks eggs start to taste bad Lol I go thru 1 carton of eggs every two days.I did lose 20lbs so far in 5 weeks and then from Nike they mailed me a fuelband + to try it out with the android app for free and promote it on twitter which I've been using so far and that's helping just I can't check my weight till Thursday .
    And been reading a lot of forums and people saying what u eat helps a lot and I just Idk cause let's say I eat 2 eggs lunch and 4 eggsat 7ish iI'll be full that's only 500-700 calories I ate all day plus a crap ton of water lol