Do you work through DOMS?

Options
I just started my first weight lifting video yesterday (Jori Love Slim and Lean) and I am quite sore with DOMS today. I am supposed to do the video again tomorrow. Is it a good idea to do it or wait until I am less sore? It was a pretty good total body workout. I am thinking maybe targeting different areas of the body on alternate days is a better way to go. Any suggestions?

Replies

• DaveMurphy6
    DaveMurphy6 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I do upper body one day..lower another. mix in cardio..Goal is 3 weight workouts and 3 cardio workouts a week.

30 minutes each

Good luck
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I work through DOMS. One of the signs of DOMS is that the pain eases off when you resume the activity. If it doesn't get better, it may be an injury. If it gets better but still hurts a lot, take it easy on the workout.

Doing different muscle groups on alternate days is a good way to spread out your workout time, but for a beginner, I don't think it will make any difference in progress, vs. doing your whole body every other day. It's distinct from DOMS, which you will get any time you push your muscles too far beyond what they are used to.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I work through it. If I can't do a full workout I will do something lighter and stretch. Experience has shown me that for me, it always makes it better to work through it.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you. I will continue with my workout tomorrow.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i lift every single day, if i have a little soreness i workout through it, if i'm really sore in which my numbers would be say 75% of my normal workout, then i'll make that day more cardio and lift the next day so i can have a better workout.
  • theonepercentile
    Options
    Work throught it
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Work through them. After a while, I don't get them as badly as I used to.
  • DreaHeaton
    DreaHeaton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It is best to workout again otherwise your body will think working out is an event instead of something that'll be a habit. Given the amount of weight you've lost I am thinking you knew that :smile:
  • 12_oz_Curls
    12_oz_Curls Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I do upper body one day..lower another. mix in cardio..Goal is 3 weight workouts and 3 cardio workouts a week.

30 minutes each

Good luck

missed.gif

So do you work through your DOMS or not when your upper body still hurts from 2 days ago?
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    You'll probably be a lot less sore tomorrow. There are a lot of times (especially after switching stuff up) when I'm agonizingly sore on the day after and barely ache at all the next day.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You will feel DOMS a lot the first week or two, but it gets much better if you work through it. For what it's worth, I started my strength training adventure lifting 4 days a week targeting different muscle groups each day. I have noticed better results the last two months on a full body routine three days a week.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I ended up starting my chaLean extreme series yesterday and worked through the soreness. I am enjoying the lifting much more than I ever did when doing cardio. I don't dread my workouts now.