Runners/Marathoners Help!!!

I need your advice!! I am by no means a runner and I have always said that I can't run however yesterday something snapped in me and I said thats it I'm gonna do it. My mom is a runner and has done serveral marathons as is my aunts and my grandpa, my grandpa wants to do the Rock N Roll marathon in San Diego next year for his birthday and has been asking my aunts and my mom to join in, for some reason I want to give it a go.. I figure I have a whole year to train and theres really no excuse not to right? I currently WALK anywhere from 1-5 miles/ 4-5times a week and ocassionally I do some workout videos at home. I am by no means "in shape" and am still needing to lose 30-40lbs but I dont think this should hold me back right?

Anyway what I want to know is if you can recommend any training programs (ive heard alot about the couch to programs) or schedules I can follow, I dont have a gym memebership so all my jogging/running will be done on the pavement around my house or on a track at the local highschool. I have speed walked a 5k before and finished that in about 50mins..

Thanks in advance, also right now Im eating fairly low carb diet, I try not to bypass 80 carbs a day, is this going to effect my training ability?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Do you have a running specialty store or running club close by?

Many of the shops offer "learn to run programs" and group runs right on through to (usually very affordable) coached marathon training programs for runners of all experience levels.

Similarly many people are surprised to learn that most running clubs cater to the needs of athletes of all ability levels and athletic prowess.

If neither of these are practical my best advice is to start slow, build up gradually and be consistent in your training. With a year to go you should have plenty of time to prepare.

I am not a dietitian but I suspect if you asked a group of runners about their diets you'd find most of them were eating anywhere from 50% to 60% of their calories from carbs (more in the week leading up to a long race like a marathon). As your distances increase you'll need the stored glycogen to keep you going.

Just out of curiosity, have you spoken to your mother or other relatives about becoming running buddies? I'm sure they'd be tickled pink if they knew that you wanted to become a runner.
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Most marathon training programs require that you are able to run at least 3-5 miles to begin with. A lot of people on here use the Couch to 5K program to get them to 3.1 miles. Personally, I've not done it as I can run that far but I've heard good things.

I don't want to be discouraging but a marathon is a lofty goal with no running experience. I would sign up for a 5K in 8 weeks or so to get a taste of road racing (not that you have to "race", in fact you shouldn't worry about time at first) then do a couple of more longer races (10K or a 1/2 marathon). You don't have to immediately sign up for the marathon, start training and see how the other races and running go for you then in six months see what you think. I'm not saying you can't do it (because you can!) but you definitely need to slowly build up to it. 26.2 miles is a long way.
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Google, Jeff Galloway 1/2 marathon or marathon training program.. they do run/walk programs for all lengths. I love his programs! totally doable. Remember, the only thing that will make you a better runner is running.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Google, Jeff Galloway 1/2 marathon or marathon training program.. they do run/walk programs for all lengths. I love his programs! totally doable. Remember, the only thing that will make you a better runner is running.

This, totally this. His programs are great to make sure you won't hurt yourself
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    I started out with the Couch to 5 K program (http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html) to learn how to run and then transitioned to a 10k training program (http://www.marathonrookie.com/10k-training.html) and have now started a half marathon training program (http://www.marathonrookie.com/half-marathon-training.html). You have plenty of time to work your way up to a half marathon, so just take it slow and work your way up slowly.

I do highly recommend getting fitted for a pair of good running shoes. I did not do that at first and really regretted it.

Some runs will be better than others, but just keep on running. :)

ETA - I think you'll find that eating that low of carbs while running is going to hinder your progress. I try to aim for 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fat but as I'm working in longer runs now, I think I'll up my carbs to around 45 percent.
  • deesaf
    deesaf Posts: 46
    I have an amazing free app called exercise for pink by zen labs. Great for starting running because it trains u to run walk. Eventually u run 4 mins walk 1 min and repeat. I think this makes it a good starter one. Also they have the app for various distances. 5k 10k half marathon. It also has a great motivational quote every time u open it.
  • evansproudmama
    evansproudmama Posts: 493 Member
    Most marathon training programs require that you are able to run at least 3-5 miles to begin with. A lot of people on here use the Couch to 5K program to get them to 3.1 miles. Personally, I've not done it as I can run that far but I've heard good things.

I don't want to be discouraging but a marathon is a lofty goal with no running experience. I would sign up for a 5K in 8 weeks or so to get a taste of road racing (not that you have to "race", in fact you shouldn't worry about time at first) then do a couple of more longer races (10K or a 1/2 marathon). You don't have to immediately sign up for the marathon, start training and see how the other races and running go for you then in six months see what you think. I'm not saying you can't do it (because you can!) but you definitely need to slowly build up to it. 26.2 miles is a long way.

I hear what your saying and completly agree, lucky for me they have a half marathon the same day I'm shooting for the stars but wont at all be upset with myself if I fall short and have to do the half :-) Im planning on doing some 5 and 10ks before then also
  • evansproudmama
    I have an amazing free app called exercise for pink by zen labs. Great for starting running because it trains u to run walk. Eventually u run 4 mins walk 1 min and repeat. I think this makes it a good starter one. Also they have the app for various distances. 5k 10k half marathon. It also has a great motivational quote every time u open it.

Awe I dont find it in the app store for android.. is your phone an iphone? that might be why I cant find it :-( boo
  • evansproudmama
    I started out with the Couch to 5 K program (http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html) to learn how to run and then transitioned to a 10k training program (http://www.marathonrookie.com/10k-training.html) and have now started a half marathon training program (http://www.marathonrookie.com/half-marathon-training.html). You have plenty of time to work your way up to a half marathon, so just take it slow and work your way up slowly.

I do highly recommend getting fitted for a pair of good running shoes. I did not do that at first and really regretted it.

Some runs will be better than others, but just keep on running. :)

ETA - I think you'll find that eating that low of carbs while running is going to hinder your progress. I try to aim for 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fat but as I'm working in longer runs now, I think I'll up my carbs to around 45 percent.

I'm gonna start the couch to 5k this weekend Ive heard and seen alot of people on here using it :-) thanks!! I think once I get going and on a consistant routine I can feel comfortable upping my carbs
  • evansproudmama

This, totally this. His programs are great to make sure you won't hurt yourself

I will give it a looksie!! Thanks so much!!
  • angbunny22
    angbunny22 Posts: 54 Member
    There are plenty of online training schedules that are great, start with the Couch to 5K plan! I just finished my first Half in March in DC and am doing my second one this weekend in Seattle. I am not running the full 13.1 yet but that is my goal on the next one! Welcome to running!
  • evansproudmama
    Do you have a running specialty store or running club close by?

Many of the shops offer "learn to run programs" and group runs right on through to (usually very affordable) coached marathon training programs for runners of all experience levels.

Similarly many people are surprised to learn that most running clubs cater to the needs of athletes of all ability levels and athletic prowess.

If neither of these are practical my best advice is to start slow, build up gradually and be consistent in your training. With a year to go you should have plenty of time to prepare.

I am not a dietitian but I suspect if you asked a group of runners about their diets you'd find most of them were eating anywhere from 50% to 60% of their calories from carbs (more in the week leading up to a long race like a marathon). As your distances increase you'll need the stored glycogen to keep you going.

Just out of curiosity, have you spoken to your mother or other relatives about becoming running buddies? I'm sure they'd be tickled pink if they knew that you wanted to become a runner.

Thanks!! and yes I just told my mom yesterday when we went hiking :-) she lives to far to run together but shes excited
  • evansproudmama
    There are plenty of online training schedules that are great, start with the Couch to 5K plan! I just finished my first Half in March in DC and am doing my second one this weekend in Seattle. I am not running the full 13.1 yet but that is my goal on the next one! Welcome to running!

Thank you :-) Im pretty sure thats where I'm gonna start this weekend!!! Excited
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Look into the Jeff Galloway walk-run-walk program. It might be right up your alley! There may even be a training group in your area.
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training_groups/list_cities.php
  • NYactor1
    NYactor1 Posts: 9,642 Member
    Google Hal Higdon and check out the training programs - they have great info on the site.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Funny this should pop up. I just signed myself up for a marathon training program run through our local Fleet Feet. It's a 16 week program, I believe. An organized program, with actual living and breathing people that you can you know, actually talk to, may be worth checking into. Check with your local running store, and see what they have going on.

Good luck, good running, and remember this is fun. Really, really fun.

TriJoe.
  • Sassy922
    Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
    I followed the Hal Higdon's 1/2 marathon training with a little tweaking to fit my life style. I just completed my first half marathon in May. My advice to you is to not skimp out on the weight training portion of the training. It is very important. I promise you. Your body will thank you.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Remember, the only thing that will make you a better runner is running.

I STRONGLY disagree with this and HIGHLY recommend adding in some strength training to your routine. I've been a runner for years, never did any strength training, and then seriously injured myself. Since I couldn't run, I started weight lifting, and now I can run faster and longer than I ever could in all the years of just cardio... that and I'm like a bajillion times less likely to reinjure myself.

Training for a marathon is a lot of hard work - take care of yourself and train properly and you'll kill it!
  • I am pretty sure that this is the C25K app people are talking about... the branding in the app is a bit confusing, and I had trouble trying to find it, as I saw the name "C25K" as saying "Couch to 25km"...

It is a great app, and I could not recommend it more!

currently on the 26.2 app (Couch to Marathon)... did my first Half Marathon a few months ago, and wiped 21 minutes off my PB :)
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Definitely go with a couch to 5k program first and see how you get on with it, before entering any long distance races.
    A year is a long time, but I got injured training for my first marathon after running for 3 years, so you just don't know what effect upping the distance is going to have. Small goals first.

p.s if you intend to train for a marathon i suspect you will need to eat more carbs- i needed mine for fuelling long runs.