Why do I feel like I'm losing muscle?

Options
I have been loving MFP for the last 100 or so days! Like clockwork, once I saw a nutritionist, I have met my goal of losing 1-1.5 lbs per week and am so far down 20lbs. I have had a very regular 5-day per week workout routine for over a year (5- 30 min cardio on amt elliptical and following 3 of those with 1 hour strength pilates), since long before starting MFP. My nutritionist has me not adding back in my workout calories and I have never not had a deficit during that 100 days. I have always been very strong because of the pilates classes which are gruelling classes with lots of weights and various other torture devices. However, after 100 days of deficit (eating about 1600 calories per day at 5'5") I have noticed my muscles seeming much smaller along with my body weight. Is too little protein the culprit? There is plenty of fat for my body to use without attacking the muscle I have worked so hard to build. Shouldn't my muscle mass be more apparent now rather than the opposite?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    1. You muscle losses are minimal, if any.

2. If you want your muscle mass to be "apparent," you should lift weights.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Some of the 'bulk' you saw was caused by the fat you're now losing.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Are you only eating the 1600? you're going to lose a mixture fat, muscle and bone density doing all that cardio unfuelled.

I'd try eating back at least a portion of what you burn.....and add some form of progressive resistance, heck replace a couple of your cardio workouts with it.

Incase you check out my diary and notice I'm only eating 1680 and think I'm being a bit hypocritical - I'm an avid cardio dodger :laugh: - not knocking it, I know I should definitely do some.
  • Mystic2211
    Mystic2211 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    "Are you only eating the 1600?"

Yes...it started out as 1740, then after I lost 10 lbs, the recalculation took me down to 1660. Since I am .4 lbs away from the 20lb mark, I think it might once again reduce my allowance at next check in. The goal my nutritionist figured in was for 5 - 150 calorie workouts. I actually burn 300+ on each of my 5 cardio workouts plus about another 300 for each of my 3 hours of pilates/weight training. I didn't notice anything until this past week or two when I just seemed to not have the bicep and glut strength that I am used to. I think perhaps on my pilates plus cardio days which have me at about a much higher calorie deficit that I should eat some of them back, especially protein. I've become so enamoured with the consistent weight loss that I always stay under quota. Perhaps a non-deficit day is a good thing?

My initial goal calculation was to lose 1 lb a week as a sustainable and healthy rate. I have consistently lost 1.5 lbs per week due to the higher exercise ratio.

My suggested protein intake is 83g/day. Just wondering if upping that ratio would feed my muscles bit better. As I look back, I am consistently under that 83g per day in protein but almost always over in carbs.
  • thunderseed
    thunderseed Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have been loving MFP for the last 100 or so days! Like clockwork, once I saw a nutritionist, I have met my goal of losing 1-1.5 lbs per week and am so far down 20lbs. I have had a very regular 5-day per week workout routine for over a year (5- 30 min cardio on amt elliptical and following 3 of those with 1 hour strength pilates), since long before starting MFP. My nutritionist has me not adding back in my workout calories and I have never not had a deficit during that 100 days. I have always been very strong because of the pilates classes which are gruelling classes with lots of weights and various other torture devices. However, after 100 days of deficit (eating about 1600 calories per day at 5'5") I have noticed my muscles seeming much smaller along with my body weight. Is too little protein the culprit? There is plenty of fat for my body to use without attacking the muscle I have worked so hard to build. Shouldn't my muscle mass be more apparent now rather than the opposite?

Are you seeing a personal trainer as well as a nutritionist? If so, your personal trainer should be telling you that you need rest days in order to build muscle. You need to build a plan that allows you to overload your muscle, then rest it so it can recover and build. If you work your muscles one day after another, they are going to shrink. That's why people who strength train take rest days. Even marathon runners take rest days, and after long marathons have to eat a lot more and rest a lot more to recover. Building up to a place of stamina requires rest too, because the things that help you have stamina are also your muscles.

Another point worth mentioning, you say "there is plenty of fat for my body to use without attacking the muscle I have worked so hard to build." That's actually not always the case. If you are doing aerobic activity that is mild to moderate, the energy system used is the aerobic system and your body will burn fat. However, if you are using an anaerobic energy system you are just going to be burning carbs, and strength training only burns carbs, not fats.
    Unfortunately, if you do not eat enough carbs, your body IS going to turn to your protien stores before it turns to fat. That's because your body does not store a lot of carbs, and it burns a lot of carbs very fast. It does however store a lot of fat. That's why carbs are the most important form of fuel for anyone, let alone athletes.

Generally if you are reducing your caloric intake you are going to be weaker. You may not be losing muscle, but you are going to feel weaker. Because it's not healthy. If you want to lose weight, be strong, be fit and be healthy, then do it in a healthy way without dieting and reducing your calories.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Are you working from TDEE to get those numbers then, with all your workouts factored in? If not, I'd eat more. Sorry for all the questions - I ask as I shoot for 1 lb a week loss using TDEE but I don't do anywhere near as much working out as you do and I have a similair calorie goal ATM.

Protein is a preference thing - I'm on roughly the same calories as you but I have 147g protein.

If you want to increase it you could use anything from 0.8 g per lb of LBM - 1.5 g per bodyweight (I have mine at 1 g per lb bodyweight but I enjoy eating that way)
  • Mystic2211
    Mystic2211 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the excellent responses which have spurred me to learn more about aerobic/anaerobic, TDEE and protein intake. I will tweak the ratios for protein as I don't think 83g is enough. My workout routine is five days (M-F) of 30 minute HIIT cardio on the AMT. On Mon., Wed, and Friday I follow that with a 1hour Pilates class. I rest on Sat & Sunday. I think that is sufficient rest between the muscle-building Pilates days and I always eat plenty of carbs, and try to be exactly or just under my calorie allowance for the day but I just never really noticed how low my daily protein intake had become.