Does what you eat matter as long as you stay under cals?

Options
2»

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely. What you eat is just as important maybe more so than how much.
    Not at all. You could eat 100% nutrient rich, minimally processed whole foods, and if you eat more calories then you burn, you will lose ZERO weight.
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you've only got 1,500 calories to play with per day, the reality is it's pretty hard to feel full whilst eating high calorie foods. I could blow those calories on one meal and then be hungry all day which would such. There's no way I'm going to eat a whole bag of sweets on my way home from work as a snack anymore, because I won't have any calories left for a satisfying dinner.

So I prioritise planning 3 reasonably healthy, satisfying meals per day. If I spend 300 calories on breakfast, 400 on lunch and 500 on dinner (for example), that leaves me with another 300 calories for snacks (or more if I exercise). So I might choose to blow those calories on a doughnut or a couple of glasses of wine, or I might go for several smaller, healthier snacks, depending on how I feel.

But I only have the calories to spend on treats because I've eaten sensibly for my main meals or have exercised, leaving me with spare calories to enjoy.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    You will lose if you are in a deficit. But how will you feel?

That being said you still can have your treats here and there.

I feel best when I eat a good portion of fruits veggies and proteins and I feel better also.

But heck I still enjoy my chips a hoy and icecream!! :)

Its about balance.

This is well said. I will add that many of us find that eating too much sodium interferes with weight loss by increasing our body's tendency to retain water. As you go along, you will likely begin to make healthier choices. The secret to success for me has been portion control and patience. It took a long time to gain the weight and it doesn't fall off quickly.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely. What you eat is just as important maybe more so than how much.
    Not at all. You could eat 100% nutrient rich, minimally processed whole foods, and if you eat more calories then you burn, you will lose ZERO weight.
    This.

Eating at a deficit is what causes weight loss no matter what you eat.

Eating a variety of foods in a way that will essentially meet your macros is what contributes to health.

For me, it's about balance, and I eat plenty of sweets and what others would categorize as "forbidden foods," which I don' believe in.

The only things I don't eat are those which I am intolerant to (soy and lactose), and i go light on the caffeine because too much makes me retain water and sets my heart racing like crazy).
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, it really doesn't matter. It's about calories in verse calories out. But as far as health, that's a different story

I personally just try to eat a balanced diet that includes the foods that I love, but in moderation. I have cake, cookies, whatever , but in moderation. I practice portion control.
  • laurenweird
    laurenweird Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This has been an interesting read, thank you to all those who posted :)

I am obese and coming from as very unhealthy liftstyle so I am trying to do both (lose weight and eat healthier) and my weight loss is going quite well but I did wonder whether it was from the healthy food or the calorie watching!
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters when it comes to fat/weight loss. But, for instance, both my parents developed Type 2 diabetes (even though one of them lives a really active lifestyle and was muscular and in the normal weight range). So, I have chosen to not eat sweet junk foods. I still love my sugar, so I do eat a fair amount of fruits (but I keep this in check). I want to keep the weight off for the rest of my life (I'm in my 20s). I also want to have a healthy body for the rest of my life. I have no interest in taking pills to regulate my blood sugar and my blood pressure. Not happening. I've seen it (my mother), and it's no fun. So, I choose healthier foods for the long haul (past weight loss).

But, again, when it comes to losing weight, it really doesn't matter. There are people who have lost weight eating at McDonald's for every meal. That Supersize Me guy was just overeating constantly, which is why he gained weight in that documentary.