should i have a cheat day? and eat junk food or no?

Options
I really want to lose 60lbs by June just Idk what the easiest way to lose weight is

Replies

• Sammi_2014
    Options
    I really want to lose 60lbs by June just Idk what the easiest way to lose weight is

I gave myself a "cheat" day only once this month and never again ! I gained two pounds ! I cheated on lunch and my husband took me out so I have a chicken sandwich , fries and half a milk shake....yea I think I might have over done my "cheat" day !! I still eat the food that I like but I just watch portions and stay either at or below my daily goal for calories .
  • HellaCarriefornia
    HellaCarriefornia Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Intake less calories than you burn. Consistency is key, so keep at it. I find I do better without a cheat day. I tend to eat what I enjoy, "junk" included, but keeping my portions in control so I don't go over calorie allotment. Best of luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Try a more balanced diet than just eggs.... That would help more than a cheat day!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Easiest way: Eat less than you burn. But who wants easy when there is time to be wasted starting pointless threads
  • ciarotheray
    ciarotheray Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    maybe don't think of it as a cheat, just a day when you happen to eat a little more.

I try to stick to around 1500 per day, but I KNOW that roughly once a week I will reach 2000-2500, because I want to share a tub of ben and jerry with my sweetie, or drink six beers at a party.

But I don't worry about it or consider my healthy eating over! It seems like a lot of calories, but is around my maintenance intake level (rather than loss), and I am still losing weight at my desired rate overall.

:o)
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    What you "should" do is based on what you personally need to keep you sane and on track.

I regularly go over my calorie goal and consciously have a cheat day most weeks where I will have dessert and wine. Or a night out with rather more than a glass of wine!

I need those things because if I didn't allow myself them I would feel deprived and miserable and would give up altogether. As it is, because I allow myself those days, I have kept this up for longer than I expected (admittedly only 6.5 weeks so far, but that's still an achievement).

On a weekly basis, I've been under my calorie goal 5 times and over it once - the week where I've been over my goal (this week, as a matter of fact) I am over by a grand total of 75 calories in a week. And so far I've lost 12 lbs since 12th August. So I don't think having cheat days is doing me any harm.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Sorry dude, but you are complaining about not knowing and plenty of people have pointed you in the right direction and suggested you read up about how to lose weight. Yoy need to know and understand how other people lose weight or how to lose weight in general and then find a way that suits you. The most effective way will be to do what most other people will be doing by logging all your food and creaing a calorie deficit so you lose about 2lb a week, which is a safe amount. Have a smaller deficit if you struggle on the low calories allowed.

You also wanted a six pack and people pointed you in the right direction. Please read up and then you will know more and realise what it is you have to do.

Only you can decide if you want the mythical cheat day, but in most cases it takes you away from your target of consuming less calories than you burn. Why do you want one? Maybe its a sign that your six eggs a day diet is not sustainable as everyone pointed out. You will get more benefit from working out a balanced healthy diet or at least eating a more sustainable level of calories.
  • Jwildeboer
    Jwildeboer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you do a cheat day, make sure to stay at or below maintenance calories, that way you don't gain. Try to limit the number of those days, though. Once you let yourself have one, it's really easy to slide again, and justify it more often.
  • Rederizer
    Options
    So how many calories should I eat a day I got told 1900-2100

And so far its 11 and I already had 1100 I'm just Idk I try hard Lol these last two days I've been kinda eating bad foods.

But tonight I'll prolly run and walk on tread mill at the gym for 30-40 mins to lose 1000 calories.

Its just really hard to lose weight for me
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm not into cheat days. I don't think it's a healthy way to look at things when you're choosing to change your entire lifestyle in order to support and maintain your weight loss for the rest of your life. So, if the opportunity to eat a cupcake, for instance, produces itself, and you haven't eat one in a while, eat it. Just be smart about it. You don't have to eat the whole thing, or you could. You don't have to eat more than one. Very rarely does one need to eat half a dozen cupcakes at once. <---I've done this. It feels and looks terrible.

You don't have to remove all junk foods from your diet for the rest of your life. You can simply limit them. But, if you feel like it works best to fully eliminate them, then do so.

In general, when it comes to weight loss, keep yourself focused on how you will MAINTAIN this weight loss. The yoyo sucks.
  • forgivensins
    forgivensins Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The easiest way is a way that fits into your lifestyle--or that's what I've gleaned from reading many, many boards around here, other websites and well, it makes the most logical sense. If you can have a cheat day and not go nuts, that's great! If you have little to no self control and you know you will fall into a deep dark pit, probably not the best idea. I cheat on Saturdays but really I'm not cheating? I make pizza with healthy stuff (flat wraps with turkey pepperoni and mozzarella etc) or I make burgers (with sandwich thins and lean ground turkey, and carrot fries). It depends on your definition of cheat/junk food.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

The easiest way to lose weight is by eating less than you burn
  • JuroNemo14
    JuroNemo14 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I agree with forigvensins, in that it really depends on your lifestyle. Lifestyle is, in my opinion, the core of the entire weight loss game. If you seek to live a more healthy lifestyle permanently, ditch the idea of cheating days;it will make it easier to maintain your weight loss later on.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think you would be better served following the advice given to you in other threads, establishing a consistent routine in which you eat a reasonable calorie deficit and exercise, and giving yourself some time to adapt to these changes before starting to play around with cheat meals or days. It's really easy to blow your deficit with cheat days, especially if you don't have a good handle on logging and portion sizes.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

And so far its 11 and I already had 1100 I'm just Idk I try hard Lol these last two days I've been kinda eating bad foods.

But tonight I'll prolly run and walk on tread mill at the gym for 30-40 mins to lose 1000 calories.

Get someone to help you set up your MFP as you want. You really only need to decide how much you wnat to lose per day as a target. The more you want to lose the fewer calories you will have to eat so pick a level that is sustainable. If its set at 1900, then spread your calories through the day for 3 main or 5 light meals. I do 3 main meals, so something like 400 for breakfast, 500 for lunch and 600 for dinner. One of the tricks is to eat food you like in smaller portions, but also try and go for food that will keep you from feeling hungry, stays within your calorie limits and gives you good nutrition.

You wont lose 1000 calories in 30-40mins walking and running on the tread mill.

Is it hard to lose weight for you? Maybe it has more to do with your mindset and determination rather than any physical limitation. Read up and knowing how things work will give you more confidence in knowing what to do.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Go hit the gym and spend an hour doing some cardio, that should net you an extra 5 to 600 calories. Then go splurge a little. You still will get more calories, and you will feel better because you earned them.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

You said in your egg thread that you lost 20lbs in 4 weeks.
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    "Cheat Days" work for some people. I am not one of those people. A cheat day for me turns into a cheat week and the next thing I know I am completely out of control again.

If I know there is something coming up that may involve an indulgence I plan the rest of my day around it. Eat a little lighter at the other meals and get in some extra exercise. I don't feel deprived and I still stay within my goal for the day.

In the end, in my opinion, a Cheat Day only cheats yourself.
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    Ditto what others said before me. Also I wouldn't go with a cheat "day" as you could really blow your calories out of the water. Certainly splurge for a meal, special occasion or when watching a game with your friends, etc. try to stick with your calorie allowance or go a bit over but if you really eat many calories it could set you back, especially where you have a goal for a certain time period. Good luck in what you decide.