OCTOBER CHALLENGE - LOSE 15 POUNDS

OK LADIES AND GENTS....ANYONE WHO WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIPATE PLEASE ADD ME AS A FRIEND. I WILL KEEP A LOG OF EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO JOIN THIS CHALLENGE AND TAKE PART. EVERY WEEK WE WILL ALL POST HOW MANY POUNDS WE HAVE LOST (NO CHEATING...BE TRUE TO YOURSELF) AND THE PERSON WHO HITS THE TARGET OF 15 POUNDS BY 31ST OCTOBER 2014 WINS THE CHALLENGE. THERE WILL BE 2ND AND 3RD PLACES TOO AND OF COURSE ANYONE WHO EXCEEDS 15 POUNDS WILL TAKE THE CROWN!!

HOW ITS GOING TO WORK:
Challenge starts 1st of October 2014
Any one who wants to participate then please add me as a friend and message me to tell me you would like to be part of this challenge.
There will be 4 weigh in's every Friday dated 10th, 17th, 24th and the finale 31st October 2014.
Every weigh in please message me on how many pounds you have lost, please be honest with yourselves.

I will keep a log of what everyone has lost and the results will be announced on Friday 31st October 2014.

THIS IS PURELY FOR SOME MOTIVATION AND TO FEEL A PART OF A GROUP ON THE SAME JOURNEY - TO LOSE WEIGHT

IF WE HAVE ENOUGH PEOPLE IN THIS CHALLENGE I WILL THINK OF MORE IDEAS TO MAKE THIS INCENTIVE MORE FUN!!

Any ideas just message me....this is a trial...if it works great...if not we have lost nothing but weight.

:wink:

Replies

• Best of luck for your challenge - I know it wouldnt work for me, I lose weight slowly. But I will watch your progress with great interest!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    That's not healthy unless you're morbidly obese.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    You should probably add that contestants need to be over 300 pounds. To achieve that type of weight loss anyway...

But I wish you luck.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    15 pounds in a month seems unrealistic, maybe 5-8pounnds in a month Or you could do a challenge to burn as many calories or miles. id be interested in a challenge like that.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    please oil your caps key and I'm in !
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    I wish. When I was 250, I could lose that fast, but not now!

Good luck. :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Let's do some arithmetic.

Assuming you are not new to this and do not have a lot of first-week water to shed, to loose 15 pounds in 31 days, you need to lessen your calorie intake or increase you calorie use by 1693 calories EVERY day.

In other words, let's say you are a 200, 30-year-old, 5'4" pound woman. Your TDEE is 2136 calories per day to stay exactly the weight you are. If you were to subtract 1693 calories from that EVERY day and eat only 443 calories a day, arithmetically you could lose the 15 pounds. You would also probably be sick as a dog and in bed, unable to bring together enough energy to tie your shoes.

You say, "No, no." I'll do it through exercise." Okay, to burn up those 1693 calories a day, you would need to stick to your 2136 calorie limit EVERY day and run just over 2 1/4 hours (136 minutes) EVERY day and all of it at 5 mph.

Of course, your blood sugar would be so low you'd probably run off the park path and into the lake where they will find your body.

This is a set up for failure.
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    15?!

Good luck.
  • balancedwalker
    balancedwalker Posts: 686 Member
    OutOfShape28, just sent you invite for 100-to-2015 group. We encourage everyone to lose weight at their own pace and in their own way. No group targets just hang together. See you in the group.
  • irisheyes321
    irisheyes321 Posts: 52 Member
    Hi,

I would love to join but I am going to change my own goal to ten pounds by the end of October.Thank you for the challenge is just what I need to keep myself motivated.If everything is ok can you send me a friend request and we can get started.:happy:

Liz.
  • I think I will sit this one out and just enjoy watching all of you trying to reach that goal. I am thinking I best stick with my one day at a time plan and I have never been able to lose that much weight in one month. Good luck to you and all who join you in this challenge.
  • srdeaver
    srdeaver Posts: 39 Member
    15 in one month is not possible for me. I am out, but I wish you all the luck in hitting your goal!
  • tracicarreker
    tracicarreker Posts: 1 Member
    Hi I am interested in joining the challenge but how do I add you?
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    And I thought the girl who wanted to lose 20 pounds by Dec 17th was biting off more than she could chew!

Good luck if you can do it safely. I only have about 30 pounds to lose so my goal at the moment is to lose 10 to 15 by the new year, So I'll try for 5 in October =)
  • OK, Thank you all for the ones that have wished us luck!!

Now for those of you who think its impossible and unhealthy to loose 15 pounds in a month.....tough...that's your opinion...go and take your negative comments else where.

Firstly it is not impossible to lose 15 pounds in a month - it depends on how much you need to lose, and secondly when I joined MFP last year in my first month I lost 1.4st but unfortunately have picked up all the weight I initially lost...my challenge this year is to lose weight, maintain it and change my lifestyle to keep it off.

This challenge is not all about losing 15 pounds, its about all getting together and motivating and inspiring each other to do the very best we can and push ourselves to where we never thought we could get. Its purely a bit of healthy competition and a bit of a boost to change it up and challenge yourself.

The goal is 15 pounds in 31 days....some may only lose 5 and some even 10...its doesn't matter as long as we are all in it together we are losing weight.

I am staying positive about this and honestly do not care if someone has anything negative to say...there are people out there who need a boost, a bit of motivation like myself and being a part of something is a great way to start this weight loss journey!!!!

If any one still wants to join the October Challenge I will put it in 3 categories:

5 pounds
    10 pounds
    15 pounds
    15 and over

Winners will be announced on 31st October 2014

Thanks for those who are showing your support!

:smile:
  • OK, Thank you all for the ones that have wished us luck!!

Now for those of you who think its impossible and unhealthy to loose 15 pounds in a month.....tough...that's your opinion...go and take your negative comments else where.

Firstly it is not impossible to lose 15 pounds in a month - it depends on how much you need to lose, and secondly when I joined MFP last year in my first month I lost 1.4st but unfortunately have picked up all the weight I initially lost...my challenge this year is to lose weight, maintain it and change my lifestyle to keep it off.

This challenge is not all about losing 15 pounds, its about all getting together and motivating and inspiring each other to do the very best we can and push ourselves to where we never thought we could get. Its purely a bit of healthy competition and a bit of a boost to change it up and challenge yourself.

The goal is 15 pounds in 31 days....some may only lose 5 and some even 10...its doesn't matter as long as we are all in it together we are losing weight.

I am staying positive about this and honestly do not care if someone has anything negative to say...there are people out there who need a boost, a bit of motivation like myself and being a part of something is a great way to start this weight loss journey!!!!

If any one still wants to join the October Challenge I will put it in 3 categories:

5 pounds
    10 pounds
    15 pounds
    15 and over

Winners will be announced on 31st October 2014

Thanks for those who are showing your support!

:smile:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    5 and 10 lbs in one month is still really aggressive unless you have a lot of weight to lose. Even then, a 2 lb per week loss is considered healthy (for 75+ lbs to lose). This site promotes healthy weight loss; creating a challenge group where you reward people for losing more than is healthy, and possibly resorting to unhealthy practices to do so, goes against the community guidelines. If the group is just for motivation and accountability, there are other ways to do that.
  • frisco111
    frisco111 Posts: 44 Member
    No - we are not going to take our negative comments elsewhere. Its upsetting that every day people who don't bother reading and researching how to make healthy lifestyle changes come up with challenges like this. Do what you want with your body but don't encourage others to do the same. You have a great opportunity here to succeed in your weight loss if you follow advice and best scientific evidence avail be to date.
  • Rachifloon
    Rachifloon Posts: 129 Member

No, because they are NOT negative comments, they are concerned comments. Please do a bit more research in what is actually considered a healthy way to lose weight, not encourage a set up for misery.
  • briebuck
    briebuck Posts: 35 Member
    im in . i have 100lbs to lose. so YES 15lbs IN 1 MONTH IS POSSIBLE AND HEALTHY. stop bashing her people. motivation is very important for people who have so much to lose. i have been given goals like this by nutritionists... go bash someone who is already smaller and thinks they will starve themselves to a big fast wieght loss. to a 100+ to lose person 15lbs is the same % as 5 or 10lbs..........