Net Carbs and Atkins dieters on MFP

Options
Hey guys,

So I started the Atkins diet today. Let me
Just inform you I live in Australia and I want to effectively use MFP instead of the Atkins version of it to keep my carbs at 20g. However I am unsure whether to subtract my fibre intake from the total carbohydrates in the nutrition overview section.
Please let me know if this is correct.

Also! Has anyone lost weight on Atkins eating over 20g? Say maybe 25g?

Thanks!

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    If I may, why did you decide to go so low on carbs? I dropped 64 lbs eating 30-40% of my calories from carbs. The biggest issue I see with people eating so low carbs is that that diet is not sustainable and I see a lot of people end up pretty much binging over time. Just concerned.

Allan
  • gmstarr1
    gmstarr1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    For me, the 'eat whatever you want as long as it fits' wasn't sustainable. Low carb has been. I've lost over 30 pounds since January, and I'm still going. Every year I have tried the 'moderation eat it if it fits' diet in January saying 'this year is going to be my year to lose weight', and it's done by about April. I've done that off and on for 15 years. This is the longest I have stayed with a diet/lifestyle, and I have lost more this year than any other year and at this point I'm not going back. For me, it was easier to cut out the bread and the sugar than to control it.

To the OP, I don't use a set number of carbs, I mostly use percentages. I get about 10% of my calories from carbs, which is usually between 20 grams to 40 grams a day. It doesn't seem to bother me much if I go over or under a little bit (and sometimes I cheat). I've lost weight doing that.

And yes subtract your fiber from your total carbs. I think every low carb diet advises you to do that.

Good luck!
  • dannyxtyler
    dannyxtyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 30 pounds eating low carb, and then I switched to counting calories because I was feeling very deprived. So, even if low carb doesn't work out for you and you find it isn't sustainable, you can always change to a different plan. No worries! I neither binged nor gained any weight back when switching from low carb to calorie counting. And getting back on track, yes, fiber is not to be counted as a carb, so subtract those "carbs". I lost my weight eating under 30 carbs a day. My mom lost eating under 50 carbs a day. I've seen folks lose eating 60 carbs. You'll figure out what works for you if you're willing to play around with the carb counts, but you should stick to a lower count for the first week or so to help get into ketosis.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

So I started the Atkins diet today. Let me
    Just inform you I live in Australia and I want to effectively use MFP instead of the Atkins version of it to keep my carbs at 20g. However I am unsure whether to subtract my fibre intake from the total carbohydrates in the nutrition overview section.
    Please let me know if this is correct.

Thanks!
    Definitely subtract fiber from your total carbs. In addition, you'll need to be careful of which food entries you choose to use. Some people will notate that the entry is "Net Carbs" which means they've subtracted the fiber and, hopefully, any sugar alcohols. I prefer to use or create entries that say "Minus Sugar Alcohols" and then manually subtract fiber numbers from the carbs.

Edited because I can't spell today.
  • star_craving
    Options

Technically I'm on the keto diet, but it is more or less the same thing. From what I understand, everyone has a different carb "threshhold" where if they eat above that, they can't go into ketosis, which is what causes the weight loss (since your body is burning fat). 20-25g or less is usually considered the safe range. You can try tweaking it for yourself and see how you do - maybe get some keto sticks to see what pulls you out of ketosis (though these aren't considered wholly reliable). For now, though, since you're just starting out you will want to limit your carbs as much as possible to get your body used to it.
  • pru101
    pru101 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I also just started the Atkins diet. Its my second day! ive noticed that i need to remind myself to go eat and im not feeling hungry - of course i still crave chocolate and carbs! but i've realised i only ate those to pass time!

anyways please feel free to add me :)

I have 3 stones to lose before i reach my goal! but im taking it one step at a time... the first being reaching a healthy BMI!

:) xx