Quest bars...are they healthy??

Options
13»

Replies

• northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    One other thing to consider with them and what I have started doing.

Is if I have one, I total up the macros, and calculate the calories based on that.
    So like the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough one is like 190 cals
    But the macros total 240.
    So I do a quick add of 50 calories

Hmm, never heard this before. Would you mind explaining how that works? In that case I may be consuming more cals then I think and sabotaging myself that way.

Chocoloate Chip cookie Dough is listed as:
    190 calories on the label.
    But Macros are:
    Prot = 21 gr == 84 calories
    Carb = 21 gr == 84 calories
    Fat = 8 gr == 72 calories
    Total Calories == 240 calories.

I think the fiber needs to be subtracted from the carbs. Does that make the numbers add up better?
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    but didn't want to unintentionally be sabotaging weight-loss attempts

You can't sabotage weight loss unless you eat too many calories.

If you do not exactly hit your macros one day, you will probably balance them out over the week.
  • kazzsj0urney
    Options
    I love quest bars and have one most days and think they are perfectly fine. I dont have them as my lunch tho...I have one each afternoon for a snack.
  • bvar1
    bvar1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Is if I have one, I total up the macros, and calculate the calories based on that.

Hmm, never heard this before. Would you mind explaining how that works? In that case I may be consuming more cals then I think and sabotaging myself that way.

But Macros are:

Ah I see. Thank you!
  • bvar1
    Options

But Macros are:

I think the fiber needs to be subtracted from the carbs. Does that make the numbers add up better?

I've heard that as well, not sure if the net carbs or total carbs should be factored in
  • bvar1
    Options
    but didn't want to unintentionally be sabotaging weight-loss attempts

You can't sabotage weight loss unless you eat too many calories.

If you do not exactly hit your macros one day, you will probably balance them out over the week.

Okay, thanks so much! I usually don't go by macros, I go by calories and try to go less on carbs and more fat/protein anyway
  • kazzsj0urney
    Options
    They are not readily available where I live so I buy them from iherb.com.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

But Macros are:

I've heard that as well, not sure if the net carbs or total carbs should be factored in

It depends. Generally, yes. but if you are T2 diabetic, no, because those of us who are need to count total carbs, not net carbs in our food plans.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    You don't have to work out to need protein. Quest bars are an easy way for me to boost my protein every day and I eat them for breakfast/lunch while I'm in school, even if I'm not working out that day. As far as not being able to pronounce ingredients, look up the ingredients in an apple and you'll be amazed.

The ingredients in an apple?

Did you mean apple pie or something? because an apple only has one ingredient... apple.

Made me laugh^ Thanks!
  • tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Some food products can be more healthy and some less but there is no such product that is 100% healthy especially these days....I think that one advantage of quest bars could be that it contains erythritol that is an alternative to normal sugar...and I think you should treat any protein bar as a food supplement but not a meal replacement.

I didnt eat all flavours but I really like

media_3976.jpg
  • bvar1
    Options
    Some food products can be more healthy and some less but there is no such product that is 100% healthy especially these days....I think that one advantage of quest bars could be that it contains erythritol that is an alternative to normal sugar...and I think you should treat any protein bar as a food supplement but not a meal replacement.

I didnt eat all flavours but I really like

media_3976.jpg

Haha I love cookies and cream. But yeah, maybe eating them as a meal isn't a good idea