High Protein Low Calorie Options

Options
Does anyone know any foods that have a low calorie content but high levels of protein? They should be preferably non-dairy, but if they have dairy then that's all good too. Thanks! :)

Replies

• bv109
    bv109 Posts: 83
    Options
    whey protein is probably the highest protein to calorie ratio.

i do not know of any non-dairy products. but aside from the obvious ones, cottage cheese is soemthing that is often skipped over
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, shrimp, white fish

Dairy - Skyr - and icelandic version of yoguhrt or quark, 170g - 100cal - 20g protein, Discovered it on vacation in Iceland and now it is available in a few stores in my area (Switzerland)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I don't do shakes-I prefer to get my protein from real food, here are a few high protein, non dairy options

grilled chicken
    low sodium beef jerky (best travel snack ever)
    tuna
    Canadian bacon
    salmon
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite quick protein fixes is a deli ham or roast beef wrap. I use the Ole Xtreme Wellness tortillas, and they have 90 calories, 5g protein and 9g fiber in each one. So with 4 slices of deli meat (60 calories, 8g protein), that works out to a whopping 150 calories, 13g protein and 9g fiber. I'll often go with double or triple the amount of meat and then you get something like (270 calories, 29g protein, and 9g fiber).

Pretty difficult to get better than that.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    edamame are really high in protein yet not a too high cal count. You can easily had it in almost every thing; salad, soup, sauce, stir fry, etc...

Otherwise lean meat, eggs, etc..
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    White fish
    Tuna
    Egg whites
    Shrimp

Those are pretty much pure protein.
  • jetrok
    jetrok Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    How about plant base protein
  • thebillmo
    thebillmo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Turkey breast. Deli-sliced smoked or roasted turkey is a staple when I need a protein boost.

This is a great tool for food queries like yours: http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/nutrient-search . Oddly enough though for high protein it tells me the winner is...coffee?! I said it was a great tool, not perfect. :smile:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know any foods that have a low calorie content but high levels of protein? They should be preferably non-dairy, but if they have dairy then that's all good too. Thanks! :)

chicken breast
    pork tenderloin chops
    canned tuna

Boring, I know, but doll 'em up any way you like :wink:

I make a tuna casserole with cauliflower instead of pasta.
    I make chicken breast, baked, broiled, BBQ'd, stir fried, curried, pan fried (you get the idea).
    Pork tenderloin, I get it from Costco & cut it up into chops to do the same thing as the chicken breast.

I make a protein (meat) entree with a double veggie side for myself & DH.
    Our kids started 5x5 a little over a month ago, so they get the same, except I make something carby for them instead of the double veggies.
  • myaminals
    myaminals Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    the lowest calorie one I don't see is string cheese 70 or 80 calories depending on the kind for 7 grams of protein. didn't see non dairy sorry
  • xxhaloxkittyxx
    xxhaloxkittyxx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Right here with you. I'm Vegan and sometimes find it difficult to incorporate things as cheaply >.<
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Melbo89
    Melbo89 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    1% Milkfat Lowfat Cottage Cheese, 1/2 cup (90 cal=16g protein)
    Tuna, it depends on brand but most are around (60 cal=13g protein)
    Plain Non-Fat Greek Yogurt 0%, 4 oz (65 cal=12g protein)
    Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Isolate (130 cal=30g protein)
    Chicken breast 4 oz (110cal =23g protein)

Good luck!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is shrimp. 6 oz of shrimp with a Tbl. of cocktail sauce is 185 calories, 4 g. carbs, 2 g. fat, and a whopping 36 g. protein. I buy the already cooked frozen shrimp. They take a couple of minutes to thaw under warm water.