Making pizza tonight - need a good crust alternative!

Options
Title pretty much says it all! We're making homemade mini pizzas tonight and I was planning on getting the whole wheat dough... but then I thought there might be some other, even healthier alternatives. I don't like eggplant or mushrooms so that's out.

What do you guys use for pizza crust?

Replies

• cookeylady
    cookeylady Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    cauliflour crust works really well and tastes yummy
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Make your own? I made this one and if you make it thin it's really not that many calories

http://www.fearlesshomemaker.com/2012/08/thin-crust-pizza/
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I like to use pita pockets or flatout bread
    there is also a recipe for cauliflower crust out there you can try.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Title pretty much says it all! We're making homemade mini pizzas tonight and I was planning on getting the whole wheat dough... but then I thought there might be some other, even healthier alternatives. I don't like eggplant or mushrooms so that's out.

What do you guys use for pizza crust?

Are you looking for a low calorie alternative or a healthier alternative?

For a low calorie alternative, google search the cauliflower crust that cookeylady mentioned.

But if your just looking for something "healthier", nothing wrong with flour, whole wheat or otherwise.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I use actual pizza crust just make it thinner crust and make it fit into my calorie goals.... I will not sub anything for pizza....... best of luck though....
  • Wyoming51
    Options
    Definitely go the pita bread route. I have these a couple of times a week!
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My sister found a recipe for cauliflower crust (gluten free obviously). It wasn't like a traditional crust, but it was crispy and had a good taste.

I think she made it, baked it, and then put the toppings on and baked it some more.

If you're want to go for something different and healthy, look it up I'm sure you'll find it online somewhere!
  • RachelInSpace
    RachelInSpace Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I think if I made cauliflower pizza crust, my fiance might run away. I've been using cauliflower as a substitute for EVERYTHING! I love it but he's mentioned more than once that he has had enough. Mashed cauliflower is good but it's definitely NOT mashed potatoes...

I think I'm going to make my own using whole wheat. I'll just make it fit. I promised I wouldn't deprive myself of the things I love and a real crust on my pizza is one of those things, for sure.

Thanks again, guys!

P.S. I'm going to wait for an evening he's not around and make the cauliflower crust 'cause I think it looks great!
  • nancyibrown
    nancyibrown Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat pita bread is a great alternative, and not fussy (as in requiring more cooking).
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to make my own using whole wheat. I'll just make it fit. I promised I wouldn't deprive myself of the things I love and a real crust on my pizza is one of those things, for sure.

Perfect. I mean if your gonna have pizza, than have pizza! I hope it turns out as tasty as you hope it will be.
  • BettyDares
    BettyDares Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    You might be more experienced making crust than I and, if so, please ignore this tip. I never could figure out why the dough would only stretch so far until I recently learned you need to step away for 20 minutes or so to let it "rest" and then it will let you stretch it further. May come in handy for thin crust.

Oh, I'm such a dough newb!!
  • meags007
    Options
    Chickpea/garbanzo bean flour crust:

http://www.builtlean.com/2013/01/15/gluten-free-pizza-recipe-2/

Low GI + high in protein! I haven't tried this yet, but it's definitely the way I'll be making a pizza base next time round!