Read this fasting people

icandoit
icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
Hazardous side effects of fasting

The opponents of fasting (mostly physicians) are as ardent as fasting's supporters. "No scientific evidence exists that fasting has any benefits for the body. In fact, a body that is starved or depleted would not be as effective or efficient at eliminating offending substances," says Dr. Peter Pressman, assistant professor of clinical medicine at the University of Southern California.

Fasting and "cleansing" programs can create a host of medical problems, including damage to your gastrointestinal tract, nutrient malabsorption, impaired liver function, anemia, kidney stones and hypoglycemia. Repeated laxative use and "repetitive colonics lead to dependence on external laxatives, disturbing the body's natural ability to do it itself," explains Pressman.

Gaining body fat is yet another possible hazard of fasting. "When you stop fasting, the first thing your body wants to do is nourish and refeed. Your body is afraid it's going to starve again, so it will crave high calorie foods — that's why this is the most important phase. If you eat the same unhealthy foods you had before the fast, you will gain fat," says Patton.

Bottom line: If you really want to keep your body "toxin-free," try eating a healthy diet.

Replies

• icandoit
    Hazardous side effects of fasting

The opponents of fasting (mostly physicians) are as ardent as fasting's supporters. "No scientific evidence exists that fasting has any benefits for the body. In fact, a body that is starved or depleted would not be as effective or efficient at eliminating offending substances," says Dr. Peter Pressman, assistant professor of clinical medicine at the University of Southern California.

Fasting and "cleansing" programs can create a host of medical problems, including damage to your gastrointestinal tract, nutrient malabsorption, impaired liver function, anemia, kidney stones and hypoglycemia. Repeated laxative use and "repetitive colonics lead to dependence on external laxatives, disturbing the body's natural ability to do it itself," explains Pressman.

Gaining body fat is yet another possible hazard of fasting. "When you stop fasting, the first thing your body wants to do is nourish and refeed. Your body is afraid it's going to starve again, so it will crave high calorie foods — that's why this is the most important phase. If you eat the same unhealthy foods you had before the fast, you will gain fat," says Patton.

Bottom line: If you really want to keep your body "toxin-free," try eating a healthy diet.
  • bittersweet22
    bittersweet22 Posts: 47 Member
    Well some People don't fast for health reasons. Some people do it for reglious reasons. I am a Christian and It talks about it the Bible about how some matters should be fasted about. I personally can't fast, I just can't not go that long without food!
  • icandoit
    I know many people who fast for religious reasons. Most of them cut out some foods after a certain time of the day and drink tea ans water and eat fruit.
    Some just give up pork, meat or whatever else they choose.
    They are not starving themselves.
  • bittersweet22
    Yes, That is true. I have known People though to cut out their food but not drinks. I was just meaning by my point that I think that it would be alright, depending on the reasons, and How long it is done for. These are just my thoughts.
  • icandoit
    I totally agree.
  • bittersweet22
    I enjoy reading your posts icandoit. They help me out!!