Upper Leg and Thighs soooo sore...question

Options
I've been doing Leslie Sansones Walk Away the Pounds for over a week now. Anyway, I wanted to beef up my workout with starting the 30 Day Shred. Day One I couldn't even get all the way through the 20 minutes but I did a good portion of it. The next day my upper legs are extremely SORE, it hurts to even get up and down from a chair, etc. I did a little bit of the Walk Away the Pounds that day to try and get some form of a workout in, and now it is today and I'm STILL SORE! Ouch. Should I push through or give myself a break? I'm afraid to take a break because I don't want to get lax, but I'm oh so sore. WATP didn't hurt me, just a few minutes of the 30 Day Shred did! I'd appreciate any suggestions and comments.

I lost 4 pounds during the first few days of working out...and now I've been at a standstill for about a week...is it because I'm building muscle?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    maybe take the day off from 30 day shed but walking should help the blood flow and loosen up the legs a bit.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time i did the shred and I remember how sore my legs were. I had what I called 'old man legs.' Walking up and down stairs was the worst and yes, even getting in and out of a chair hurt as well. I just kept pushing through and the soreness eventually went away. it took about a week before the sorness went away enough that I wasn't grimacing to walk up and down stairs. Oddly enough, sorness goes away when you work out so I say just keep pushing.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    First off, losing pounds is monthly/bi-weekly- not daily. It is a long term goal, don't fret when things aren't changing immediately.

As far as being sore, you could just work through the soreness - it will actually make you less sore if you move through it. But I suggest taking at least one day off a week from exercise. Your body does need the break once in a while.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I felt like that when I first did my P90(Power90) workout on day1 and day 2. It will hurt, cause these muscle haven't been really exposed to such a workout. Don't give up on it - Your muscle will get use to workout...Pain is a good feelin' - but if it continues more than a week, maybe stop and try somethin' lower impact. best wishes on your new journey of life xo
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    30 day shred is hard, especially at the start of each section. I've been working out for years, regularly run and lift weights, and I still found level 1 to be challenging!

My advice would be to keep going and do as much as you can - if you can only do the limited moves that is ok. If you have to do it every other day that is ok too, perhaps switch off with the other program. By the end of 10 days it will get easier, and when you get to level 3 you will look back at level one and be amazed at how far you came!
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I was doing that same workout last year, and I DID push myself thru it, but I ended up aggrivating a nerve in my leg and couldn't walk or stand without the aid of my mother in law's walker and cane and some very powerful pain killers and muscle relaxers. I was ordered bed rest for 7-10 days...wicked pissa! NOT... My advice? Do what u can. Don't push urself too hard. A lil pushing is OK, but when u've had enuff, just relax a bit. Don't do the same work out everyday. change it up a bit.
  • misty_68505
    Options
    After my first day of doing 30 day shred I could hardly walk too, and going down the stairs was torture. I pushed thru it the next day and the day after and I'm on my 6th day now. Happy to say I can make it down the stairs without having 2 feet on each step...lol. Stick with it if you can, it'll be worth it and your legs will feel better :) Good Luck!!
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much for the comments...I have tried to start the 30 Day Shred 3 times now and this always happens, guess these legs aren't used to being abused in that way, lol. I will keep on keeping on. I know weight loss won't be immediate, I just have the instant gratification thing, ya know? :) I know I'm losing inches, clothes are fitting much better after over a week of counting calories and walking. Thanks for the support!
  • delliam
    delliam Posts: 16
    Options
    I agree, you should work through it. The more you move the less the pain. I was in that same boat last week, and dreaded going to pee (the sitting & standing), and with all the water I am drinking I know I go to the BR at least 10x or more a day! But if you notice when you are sitting for even 5 mins. you will hurt when you try and stand, however if you keep moving around the house it wont be so bad. It wont last long.
  • ftt_nyeh
    Options
    some soreness is to be expected but to be on the safe side make sure you're stretching properly before and after. It will make a difference. When I do my power squats without stretching I can barely walk the next day. You could also try jumping in a hot tub or steam room once your workout is done.
  • glittersoul
    Options
    Try doing some yoga to stretch the muscles out or walking helps too. You can do 30 day shred one day and alternate it with another workout the next day.
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Well I went ahead and did 2 and a half miles with WATP(Walk Away the Pounds) and rocked it out through the soreness. I actually think it made my workout and legs better!!!! I felt super strong and now I feel wonderful, thanks for everyone's comments! No pain, no gain!