Calorie Intake?

Options
13»

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Thank you @BombshellPhoe & @IsaackGMOON !!! :smile:

Can either of you help me to understand how the BMR plays into all of this? If I -500 from my TDEE that # is still higher than my BMR. Which is the more logical # to work with?
    BMR is your basal metabolic rate. This is the amount of energy a person in a coma would need to maintain their weight.

Just do : TDEE-500 = #.

Eat that # , some people's BMR and TDEE is close.. but I don't really think it matters all that much.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Not every system is perfect..
    Although everybody says its in vs out, is only part of it..

If you are eating at your BMR and the weight is still not coming off, then I would suggest the following.
    Work out longer,
    Work out harder.
    Change your work out pattern

Sorry, but this is terrible advice. BMR is the amount of energy needed if you were doing nothing. Anyone eating at BMR an not losing weight could have a damaged metabolism, and should see an endocrinologist and a doctor, because movement from the day alone should create a deficit to lose weight. Advising to workout harder and longer while eating at BMR is dangerous and lacks any understanding of the body!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more to reset your metabolism. Yes, you may gain a bit for awhile, but once your body adjusts to the new intake level, then you can lose weight again by taking a reasonable cut. It may take 8 weeks to normalize. Listen to the dietician.
  • kittycatz200
    Options
    Also, make sure you're not gaining muscle.
  • deksgrl
    Options

Oh, dear god, nobody is gaining muscle on so few calories.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

It's not really possible to gain muscle on so little calories, c'mon , we're talking the 1500~'s here. She could gain strength, but muscle, no.

And it's not like she's going to gain 1lb of muscle a week..
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You met with a dietician, and she told you a calorie goal, but didn't tell you how many calories worth of protein, carbs, and fat you should be getting, respectively? You need more guidance than that.

It is not just about calories in, calories out. Though that is a good general rule, it is not always true. For example, eating at too much of a deficit can stall weight loss, and throw your body into starvation mode, where it stubbornly holds on to your excess weight.

Try upping protein, cutting carbs, and don't worry too much about the fat.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    You met with a dietician, and she told you a calorie goal, but didn't tell you how many calories worth of protein, carbs, and fat you should be getting, respectively? You need more guidance than that.

It is not just about calories in, calories out. Though that is a good general rule, it is not always true. For example, eating at too much of a deficit can stall weight loss, and throw your body into starvation mode, where it stubbornly holds on to your excess weight.

Try upping protein, cutting carbs, and don't worry too much about the fat.

Just no....

while I don't recommend an overly aggressive deficit, as one is susceptible to lowered metabolic rate over extended periods of time and more likely to jeopardize muscle (which includes heart, lungs not just legs, etc) it is NOT going to stall weight loss. It really is calories in vs out.

I lost a stupid amount (like 3 lbs a week) not netting 1200 calories. It was stupid but I did it because I didn't know any better. After about a month and coming on MFP and realizing that losing that much was a bad idea, I upped my calories and still lost weight fine. I still eat TONS of carbs and lost weight. Like, I'd hit my macros and micros for health and eat a nice bowl of ice cream every night.

It really is CICO....unless you have a medical condition that makes it a little more difficult, it's still math. Thermodynamics.
  • Navtendon
    Options
    Doesn't matter if you eat clean, calories in calories out.

I could lose weight eating McDonalds if I was a in a deficit... maybe you should see a nutritionist if nothing is working?

I respectfully disagree with this^

But I don't think you stated totally incorrect facts:

Can you gain weight if you "eat clean" but load up on fruits and nuts simultaneously? Absolutely. The carbs, however clean they may be, must be low if the fat is high to keep insulin low if significant weight loss is desired. Or, keep fat low with high levels of low glycemic carbs - this is less preferred b/c of higher inflammatory effects of insulin. Basically, a hunter gatherer diet was usually the former.

Can you eat "dirty" and lose weight? Absolutely. You see these people all the time. I also see them all the time in the health care world when things spiral out of control. Depends on several metabolic factors, including genetics.

The real questions are: Does weight loss mirror health? Does fitness even mirror health? Not exactly.

There are many methods of weight loss and even fitness, but only a few of these actually take health into account. There is a reason that even you calories-in calories-out crowd use the terms "clean" and "dirty". You all know the implications whether consciously or subconsciously.

Weight gain or loss is calories vs out, period. All your talk about low glycemic carbs has been deemed bunk. Insulin, while a storage hormone, isn't only responsible for fat storage. And many protein sources have been proven to illicit an insulin response comparable to carbohydrates. Furthermore, studies have proven that when calories and macros are constant, there is no significant difference in weight loss between a low GI vs high GI diet.

I do agree that a balanced diet with an eye on moderation is the most optimal for health purposes, but no one in the CICO circle looks at food as clean or dirty. Micronutrient dense whole foods should be a focus, but incorporating moderate amounts of foods absent of nutrients isn't automatically a health risk. Labeling foods as clean or dirty can lead to an unhealthy relationship with food.

We'll just have to fundamentally disagree, which is ok. This is a CICO forum, so I understand my rhetoric is considered gobbledeegook here, and I know I won't change anybody's mind. I was just giving OP an option if she wants to consider it b/c she was looking for help.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am having a hard time understanding how many calories to eat. For about a year I ate 1000 calories a day, worked out 5 days a week, started doing bootcamp, stopped getting my period and then started to gain weight.

So I sought out a dietitian. She was horrified at my low calories, lectured me on BMR and TDEE and that I was putting my body in starvation mode. So I gradually upped my calories to 1300, lost about 2lbs but never lost another ounce in the last 4 months.

So I went back to her, she said it's STILL not enough. My BMR is apparently 2100. Knowing my anxieties, she suggested I start with netting 1500 calories.

I did, but then I stepped on the scale this week and saw that I gained MORE weight.

I am beyond frustrated. Everything I read, all the advice of professionals, suggests I need to net at a minimum of 1500 calories (most suggest I should eat around 1800 with how active I am) Yet, when I eat more, I gain weight.

My hormones, thyroid have all been checked and all came back normal.

Anyone else experience this?

It would be a great help to everyone who is trying to give you advice to let us know what your current weight is, how tall are you and what your goal weight is. Otherwise, it's like trying to do math without using numbers.
  • ReannaChere
    Options
    I would suggest sticking to your active lifestyle and eating what your limit says. If you're hungry, up it a little like the dietician said. And also, stay away from the scale for a while! I did the hcg diet which was 500 calories a day and even did a liquid detox. I learned a lesson, it DOES take a while for your body and metabolism to adjust. Just do not go hungry and break up those meals into snacks throughout the day! I promised myself to stay away from the scale for the first month entirely. I'm one week down and the muscle soreness from my workouts keeps me at bay, happy, and AWAY FROM THE SCALE. (:
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Doesn't matter if you eat clean, calories in calories out.

I could lose weight eating McDonalds if I was a in a deficit... maybe you should see a nutritionist if nothing is working?

I respectfully disagree with this^

But I don't think you stated totally incorrect facts:

Can you gain weight if you "eat clean" but load up on fruits and nuts simultaneously? Absolutely. The carbs, however clean they may be, must be low if the fat is high to keep insulin low if significant weight loss is desired. Or, keep fat low with high levels of low glycemic carbs - this is less preferred b/c of higher inflammatory effects of insulin. Basically, a hunter gatherer diet was usually the former.

Can you eat "dirty" and lose weight? Absolutely. You see these people all the time. I also see them all the time in the health care world when things spiral out of control. Depends on several metabolic factors, including genetics.

The real questions are: Does weight loss mirror health? Does fitness even mirror health? Not exactly.

There are many methods of weight loss and even fitness, but only a few of these actually take health into account. There is a reason that even you calories-in calories-out crowd use the terms "clean" and "dirty". You all know the implications whether consciously or subconsciously.

Weight gain or loss is calories vs out, period. All your talk about low glycemic carbs has been deemed bunk. Insulin, while a storage hormone, isn't only responsible for fat storage. And many protein sources have been proven to illicit an insulin response comparable to carbohydrates. Furthermore, studies have proven that when calories and macros are constant, there is no significant difference in weight loss between a low GI vs high GI diet.

I do agree that a balanced diet with an eye on moderation is the most optimal for health purposes, but no one in the CICO circle looks at food as clean or dirty. Micronutrient dense whole foods should be a focus, but incorporating moderate amounts of foods absent of nutrients isn't automatically a health risk. Labeling foods as clean or dirty can lead to an unhealthy relationship with food.

We'll just have to fundamentally disagree, which is ok. This is a CICO forum, so I understand my rhetoric is considered gobbledeegook here, and I know I won't change anybody's mind. I was just giving OP an option if she wants to consider it b/c she was looking for help.

She hasn't yet done what a professional has advised her to do.