casseroles? - paelo and toddler friendly

Options
onmyown70
onmyown70 Posts: 233 Member
I have family staying next week - I'm a carb binger, they all love carbs, but they also love casseroles, so why not make the most of it and make them all casseroles each day. The thing is I would like:

1.It to be nutritious,
2. Suitable and nourishing for an for an older lady (>70 years),
3. heart friendly (husband),
4.toddler friendly (so not much salt (can add that at the end) my son that likes a mushy texture to things but loves fish pie etc) and, finally...
5.me friendly - so paelo, no bread, and preferably not too many kcal (we all eat quite late in the evening too so not too heavy!)...I love veg too....

Is this an impossible task? I would like ones that I could pre-prepare (I do have a slow cooker....)

I haven't searched the previous recipes yet, I just though I would "put this out there"!

Thank you all soo much!

Replies

• MetalTes
    MetalTes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I made a shepherd's pie that came out really good and healthy, I have to sneak vegetables into food for my boyfriend's parents, so I put onions, carrots, and celery in the ninja and pulsed it until it's minced, then mix it with ground beef and brown it all together, add enough crushed tomato to make it saucy and any spices you might like. The veggies do add good flavor, so you don't need a ton of seasoning. While you're doing that, cook some sweet potatoes and then mash them with some butter and a dash of paprika. I like a good layer of green beans in the bottom, but you could swap that for peas or whatever your family likes, or leave it out if that works better.
    Build in your casserole dish - solid layer of green beans, then spoon the beef mixture on top and make an even layer, top with the mashed sweet potatoes and bake! About 45 minutes at 350. Everyone liked it, and they pretty much live on pasta and pizza, so I wasn't sure how it would go over…they never suspected the meat was half veggies! I did ask to make sure they didn't mind the beans first though. :D
  • laurenjill
    laurenjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You could try sweet potato casserole. It's basically sweet potatoes, pecans, and coconut. Very delicious!
  • onmyown70
    Options
    That sounds delicious!
  • onmyown70
    Options
    I made a shepherd's pie that came out really good and healthy, I have to sneak vegetables into food for my boyfriend's parents, so I put onions, carrots, and celery in the ninja and pulsed it until it's minced, then mix it with ground beef and brown it all together, add enough crushed tomato to make it saucy and any spices you might like. The veggies do add good flavor, so you don't need a ton of seasoning. While you're doing that, cook some sweet potatoes and then mash them with some butter and a dash of paprika. I like a good layer of green beans in the bottom, but you could swap that for peas or whatever your family likes, or leave it out if that works better.
    Build in your casserole dish - solid layer of green beans, then spoon the beef mixture on top and make an even layer, top with the mashed sweet potatoes and bake! About 45 minutes at 350. Everyone liked it, and they pretty much live on pasta and pizza, so I wasn't sure how it would go over…they never suspected the meat was half veggies! I did ask to make sure they didn't mind the beans first though. :D

This sounds fantastic thank you!! I'm going to make this!
  • dvdlover
    dvdlover Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I hope you get to enjoy all that ive sent u think we made a:drinker: :smile: chef out of you please let me know if I can be of help to you in anyway have a great time love to know what u made and reaction............lots of luck........jim
  • MetalTes
    MetalTes Posts: 20 Member
    Options

This sounds fantastic thank you!! I'm going to make this!

Awesome!! I hope you like it! I'd love to hear how it turns out! :)
  • Angiej333
    Options
    Hawiian Meatloaf....
    Can also be made as 'meatballs'. I find adding a 'little' almond flour sometimes necessary but not TOO much or you will lose the softness.

http://www.janssushibar.com/hawaiian-style-meatloaf/