Religious fasting- how to manage exercise during?

Options
I am fasting for the next week for religious reasons. I can drink calories, but not eat, during this time period. After sundown Friday to sundown Saturday, nothing to eat or drink except to take my meds. There's no "cheating" (no protein powder in milk, etc) but I will be drinking a lot of water and juice, etc. How should I limit my exercise while I'm fasting? Any advice?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Just.. donl't exercise? You'll be doing your body more harm than good by increasing the caloric deficit you will be experiencing this week. Unless you drink so much milk and juice that you are able to reach your caloric needs... doibt you'd feel good enough to work out.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It depends on how strenuous your exercise is.

The longest I've fasted (water only) was 4 days. I felt fine, but I don't think I would have had the energy for more than a brisk walk each day.

If it's just for the one day, you *might* not notice much of a change. Just stop if you feel tired, dizzy, or faint. Or skip a day... that won't hurt you any.
  • Weightlosstips
    Weightlosstips Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Fasting is a time of rest for healing and rejuvenation. It is advisable to avoid exercise as much as possible during this time. Blessings!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The requirement is 24 hours without food or drink.
    Not exercising is logical.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Just say you have your period so you don't have to fast and you can work out instead if you want to work out.
  • laurenjill
    laurenjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Just say you have your period so you don't have to fast and you can work out instead if you want to work out.
    Huh?
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options

sighs.

dont exercise that day.
    maybe use the time fruitfully for reflection and remembrance.
    i know i shall be.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    How is milk and protein powder cheating but juice is not? What about honey? Honey dissolved in tea? Where does the line get drawn?

Personally, I would just not exercise. It's not like it's for an extended period of time.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    One day of fasting should have no effect at all. They studied pro athletes who do Ramadan fasting and they aren't affected. Our bodies are made to get energy from body fat, not just today's food intake.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Yom Kippur? That is a major holiday fast, requiring no work. It is for one day. 25 hours, not two days (-- edit -- oh, you said that. My bad.)

I will be following the fast. I will also be following the injunction to do no work. A "workout" is work. Ergo, no workouts. One is expected to participate in services, and walk to get there. I do not consider that to be a workout. Water and juice are disallowed, however each person finds their own level of observance and I do not criticize, not being anywhere near perfectly observant.

I consider the day as a recovery day. Missing a day of workouts will not screw up my entire life schedule. Being fit includes being physically, mentally, and spiritually fit. Therefore, it is an important part of a lifetime fitness plan.
  • Shirotora88
    Options
    I religiously fast and I don't exercise during that time, I sit and meditate until its over, then when I eat normally I will exercise
  • NotJustADieter
    NotJustADieter Posts: 229 Member
    Options

You... you do realize I'm choosing to fast, right?
  • NotJustADieter
    NotJustADieter Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yom Kippur? That is a major holiday fast, requiring no work. It is for one day. 25 hours, not two days (-- edit -- oh, you said that. My bad.)

I will be following the fast. I will also be following the injunction to do no work. A "workout" is work. Ergo, no workouts. One is expected to participate in services, and walk to get there. I do not consider that to be a workout. Water and juice are disallowed, however each person finds their own level of observance and I do not criticize, not being anywhere near perfectly observant.

I consider the day as a recovery day. Missing a day of workouts will not screw up my entire life schedule. Being fit includes being physically, mentally, and spiritually fit. Therefore, it is an important part of a lifetime fitness plan.

I have a lot of **** going on, and had a looooong discussion with my Rabbi.... I'm going no solid food (shakes and such are okay) for a week due to just my life right now. I need a lot of reflection and I can't have that during this holy week if I am concerning myself more with what I'm taking than what I'm giving to the world. I will most certainly NOT be working out on the holiday itself, but for the week, I really have no choice as I have a school-required fitness class.

I know no water or juice on the day itself- I grew up in a very religious, Orthodox household. The only liquid intake I have that day is a bitter herbal tea to take my meds with, which is religiously acceptable.
  • teamgiff4
    teamgiff4 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I would take a nice slow walk, outside in a peaceful place. It's good for the body and soul :)
  • I'll be fasting too for religious reasons and so I'll avoid exercise all together. You probably should avoid working out on the day of atonement. I think so anyway.
    Oh, sorry, I didn't see that you already said that you were going to avoid working out on the actual day.
  • Lumpy52403
    Lumpy52403 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I typically don't train on fasting days, which for me (as a Catholic) are Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Since those days are intended for penance and reflection, it seems appropriate to consider them "rest days."

I also abstain from meat on most Fridays, so my protein consumption often falls short of my goals on Fridays.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options

is this a troll post?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If it's one day then by all means take a rest. I remember during pre-Easter fast (50 days) I felt too tired during the first couple of days. After that it was okay and I could exercise without problems.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I personally don't find fasting on Yom Kippur makes my holiday more meaningful, so I basically just skip breakfast. It's a decision I made long ago and I'm comfortable with it. My parents and my sister are all on medication and have health issue that require them to eat, so fasting for the full holiday isn't something we tend to do in my family.

Anyway, if you are choosing to fast, you must not exercise. The purpose of fasting would be completely negated if you made yourself ill from it. Jewish law says that taking care of your health is more important than the fast. The fast isn't even a requirement, it's a tradition. But to do it correctly, you must do it safely. Don't put yourself at risk for dehydration or passing out, or using up so many calories that you can't last until the end of the day.

That said...a leisurely stroll after morning services would be lovely and probably not expend too many calories. Just don't push too hard.

Shanah tovah.
  • nickysbt
    Options
    If you're concerned you might consider speaking to the instructor of your fitness class. Most teachers understand that exercise during prolonged fasting isn't exactly ideal and will make accommodations for religious observance.