Success on keeping it off!!

Options
Hello guys!
I read a very credible research which claimed that 75% of the people who lose weight will gain it back (and maybe gain even more) within a period of 5 years!
I have lost weight a couple of times but always gained it back.. Now I am heavier than ever and certain that my skin will not tolerate another blow up.. : (
So I would like to hear from people that have kept the weight off for more than 5 years and I would love some advice on how to achieve that goal!
Please tell me it's doable and give me some good advice!
Thanx y'all and good luck!

Replies

• kbeloved
    kbeloved Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This is my first real go at weight loss, so I have no personal experience. But from what I've read on the forums, and seen from my mom (lost 150lbs has kept it off for the last 7 years) is that you must lose weight how you intend to live for the rest of your life. Basically, not restricting yourself to a "diet" in which you "cheat" and that when you actual get down you to your goal weight you discontinue.
    I decided that in order for me to be personally successful I'm going to eat how I normally would, eating out often and sometimes frozen meals, but keep them within my calorie deficient for the day/week. It's only been 5 months but I haven't given up and I don't intend too because for me, this lifestyle of counting calories, exercising and staying active is easy and fun. I've lost 25lbs, and I'm doing it slow and steady. I know I could drop the weight by suddenly eating all fresh foods and hitting the gym 7 days a week, and I hope to get to that point one day, but for now I'm slowly incorporating healthy habits into my everyday life.
    I cook more meals from home, I go to the gym 3-4 times a week (which I couldn't see myself going anymore) and I enjoy life. I don't beat myself up over having a slice of cake, I log it and move on. I indulge often and make the best choices I can whenever I'm out and do my best to log it. I just have this different mindset, and I think that's really what it's all about, wanting something enough to attain and maintain a goal.
    I know that when I meet my "weight loss goal" I'm going to start setting weight lifting and body fat percentage goals to keep myself on track.
    This is just me though, and everyone has something that drives them. But ultimately I think it comes down to changing your daily habits and lifestyle.
    Good luck.
  • NinaChanges
    NinaChanges Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What a good answer! You are so right!! I am trying to the same here and it is working! Thanx a lot and good luck with your journey!:smile:
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Confess to losing 3 1/2 stone in 2006 and slowly putting it all and some back on, till end of 2013 when I looked in the mirror and thought yikes. I have just lost 4 1/2 stone (yesterday!!) and have done nothing that I don't want to sustain forever. I suspect I exercise a lit more than most at 7-8 hours a week but I love it, I have given up mid week alcohol, which by rights was a bigger issue that calories anyway and I now love food again as we eat healthy and tastier food.
    I am really scared it will go back on, I have decided to set myself a 7lb target but with a completely whenever date just to keep myself focused on tracking, I am also setting myself some new fitness goals and have a mission to try new things, so a ski lesson and an adventure day (abseiling etc) booked for next week.....
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    This is my first real go at weight loss, so I have no personal experience. But from what I've read on the forums, and seen from my mom (lost 150lbs has kept it off for the last 7 years) is that you must lose weight how you intend to live for the rest of your life. Basically, not restricting yourself to a "diet" in which you "cheat" and that when you actual get down you to your goal weight you discontinue.
    I decided that in order for me to be personally successful I'm going to eat how I normally would, eating out often and sometimes frozen meals, but keep them within my calorie deficient for the day/week. It's only been 5 months but I haven't given up and I don't intend too because for me, this lifestyle of counting calories, exercising and staying active is easy and fun. I've lost 25lbs, and I'm doing it slow and steady. I know I could drop the weight by suddenly eating all fresh foods and hitting the gym 7 days a week, and I hope to get to that point one day, but for now I'm slowly incorporating healthy habits into my everyday life.
    I cook more meals from home, I go to the gym 3-4 times a week (which I couldn't see myself going anymore) and I enjoy life. I don't beat myself up over having a slice of cake, I log it and move on. I indulge often and make the best choices I can whenever I'm out and do my best to log it. I just have this different mindset, and I think that's really what it's all about, wanting something enough to attain and maintain a goal.
    I know that when I meet my "weight loss goal" I'm going to start setting weight lifting and body fat percentage goals to keep myself on track.
    This is just me though, and everyone has something that drives them. But ultimately I think it comes down to changing your daily habits and lifestyle.
    Good luck.

Yes yes yes yes!
  • NinaChanges
    Options
    Congratulations hyg99 for your weight loss!! I am spending a lot of time in the gym for the first time in my life and I love it too! Changing our lifestyle is the answer and after all, it is much more fun that way! Thanx for your answer and good luck!
  • greauxe
    greauxe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I lost 38 lbs by cutting pasta, rice, potatoes and bread from my diet per my Dr's advice. I did gain back 18 pounds but have been steady at this weight for about 4 years. Total time from the start of the diet is about 5 years. I got tired of cutting back on some of these foods I mentioned but I really cut back on how much of them I eat. I hope this helps.
  • markrichtsspraytan
    Options
    was never that overweight, just inside the "overweight" category for my height, but I lost ~20 lbs 4 years ago and have kept most of it off. I have gained a little back but I continued eating mostly healthy, exercising, and I still wear the same clothing from my lowest weight. I think that my body composition has improved since losing the 20 lbs, since I look more toned now than 8 lbs lower.

Anyway, I think that lifestyle change has everything to do with it. If you get into a mindset of wanting to exercise and wanting to keep improving in whatever physical activity you are doing, you will continue to work out on a regular basis and even hate when you aren't able to get that workout in. Find a physical activity that you enjoy and stick with it. Join a rec league if you enjoy playing team sports, or a running club, a Zumba class, something that has other people who will miss you when you leave. Or at least something that you feel like you want to and can get better at over time. That will keep you coming back. Or for weight training, keep track of you numbers so you can push yourself to improve and set goals you will try to meet.

It is certainly possible to lose weight with just cutting calories, but in my observations, you will 1. like the results better when you utilize physical activity to improve your body by burning calories and/or building muscle and 2. you will be more likely to maintain a commitment to fitness and health when you have other people or even your own personal records to be accountable to. You probably won't be setting your best 5k time if you're constantly eating junk, so committing to one helps you stick to the other.

TL;DR: Find a physical activity you can commit to. Once you make that a habit, healthy eating becomes easier maintain.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I started a thread a few weeks ago basically asking long term maintainers HOW they kept it off:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1422943-long-time-maintainers-how-do-you-do-it?hl=maintain&page=1

Lot's of great advice there if you want to check it out.
  • Samson20011
    Samson20011 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It is a lifestyle that you should be aiming for. If you can't keep it up for a lifetime, you will gain back the weight you have lost......Simples!
  • NinaChanges
    Options
    Guys thank you so much for all the answers!! You are so helpful and you give me lots of hope!!
  • mimiteh35
    mimiteh35 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    So glad you asked this because I've also lost weight once before and was only able to keep it off for about 2 yrs, then life got busy where I had to work 2 jobs and stopped working out and ate crappy, etc.... so this time around I want to lose it and not worry about it, and I actually just today read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1454303-2-years-of-maintenance-130-pounds-lost

And from what I read, it would make sense for long term loss as well. I dont personally know anyone who has lost as much weight as I need to lose, so it becomes a thing where I have to rely on fellow peeps here on MFP for true life stories! Ive also read that statistic and I want to be the 25% that keeps it off well after 5 yrs, too!:)

Good luck to you!!
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I lost about 50 lbs and have kept it off for over 10 years. I also had 2 babies during that time and have kept if off. No tricks or new information, I just try to stay active doing the things I love and don't go crazy with high calorie food.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Good luck.

Totally agree. It has to be sustainable long time eating habits and fitness habits too.
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Check out the books and articles by Greg McBride. He lost over 250 pounds and kept it off for more than 10 years. I have lost over 200 pounds and kept it off for 14 months and counting.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Where people go wrong is basically failure to really commit to nutrition and fitness...forever. They lose weight and they think they've arrived at the finish line when in reality they've simply arrived at the starting line of the actual race. People talk a good talk about lifestyle change, but many if not most have no idea what that actually means. Most people fail to adopt a diet (noun) that is sustainable when they lose weight...they never really learn proper nutrition or moderation or portion control, etc...most people just practice deprivation dieting to lose weight and then go back to old eating patterns and habits once the weight is gone. This of course is only likely to result in gaining all of the weight back.

To boot, people generally fail to establish independent fitness goals that go beyond trying to burn calories and lose weight...so they stop exercising once the weight is gone...once again, the "finish line" mentality. I exercise exactly the same now as i did when I was losing weight...the difference between now and then isn't my fitness...it's simply my consumption.

People really have to just understand that there is no finish line and there is no "done"...it really is a lifetime journey and a dedication to health, nutrition, and fitness that leads to long term success and wellness.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The problem with the people (most of them anyway) who gain the weight back is that they were dieting. No one is going to be willing to live on cabbage soup and water for the rest of their lives lol. It really is as simple as being aware of what you are eating vs what you need. You need to find a diet (as in food choices, not weight loss system) that you are willing to live with for the rest of your life. For me, that is eating whatever I want as long as it fits in my daily allowances. I try to eat mostly healthy food, because I want to be healthy and not just less fat, but I have days where I blow my allowance on junk and just end up having a low calorie salad for dinner. It's all about knowing you have choices. I never tell myself I can't have something that I want, I just have to make the choice if it is worth moving the rest of my day around for.

Find what works for you, what you are willing to live forever with, and it will work out. Don't worry.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The problem with the people (most of them anyway) who gain the weight back is that they were dieting. No one is going to be willing to live on cabbage soup and water for the rest of their lives lol. It really is as simple as being aware of what you are eating vs what you need. You need to find a diet (as in food choices, not weight loss system) that you are willing to live with for the rest of your life. For me, that is eating whatever I want as long as it fits in my daily allowances. I try to eat mostly healthy food, because I want to be healthy and not just less fat, but I have days where I blow my allowance on junk and just end up having a low calorie salad for dinner. It's all about knowing you have choices. I never tell myself I can't have something that I want, I just have to make the choice if it is worth moving the rest of my day around for.

Find what works for you, what you are willing to live forever with, and it will work out. Don't worry.
    I disagree. The problem is folks don't make a real plan, and then implement it. Every day folks return to MFP saying they've regained. Most of them didn't do a cabbage soup diet (or any fad diet). They used the the MFP APP. And then they stopped using the APP. But no plan, no real, long term plan for the rest of their lives was made and followed. They didn't commit to a plan for health.
    And for me, using the app forever, isn't a plan.

Think about the phrase folks often use when they return: I fell off the wagon...It's an interesting way to refer to returning to old eating habits isn't it?

I lost weight. I dieted (I even read books). Yes, I dieted. By that, I mean I created a plan and I followed it. And I ate at a deficit. While I was losing, I was learning and I was changing habits. Really changing habits. I also had a plan for maintenance, and I followed that plan. And as I age, I'm adjusting my maintenance (because it's been 13 years). I work out. Not to "earn calories to eat back", but to be healthy and fit. That helps too: find things you enjoy, and move, I don't just say: I need to "earn 400 calories".
    Like you, I like eating healthy. I'm not eating a nice salad with chicken on it for lunch today (for example) because it fits my calories. I'm eating it because it fuels my body, and nourishes me. And it tastes great.
    I don't think in terms of "can I have pizza on my diet". Of course I can. It's just not the basis for my diet anymore, and when I have pizza it's not dominos (or any other fast food pizza generally speaking).

And, finally, I think many people gain it back because when you're at your ideal weight, the difference between maintaining and gaining is a small number of calories. It's a small margin of error. It's easy to unknowingly go over, just a little, each day. And, it's easy to skip a work out, each day. And it's easy to stop logging for a while...and think, in the moment, that you'll be able to maintain. You have to prepare for not logging if logging was how you dieted.

cheers
  • mandybear014
    mandybear014 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Good luck.

^^This is a great answer^^

This is my second weight loss journey. My first time losing weight was 7 years ago, I lost 20 pounds through Weight Watchers. It was nice but I feel I didn't learn a whole lot about nutrition or get to know how my body worked. But I managed to keep it off for 5 years until I got in an accident in 2012. Took several months to recover but the damage was done, gained it all back plus a little bit more.

With this weight loss journey and thanks to MFP I have lost nearly 40 pounds! :happy: I have a better understanding and relationship with food and I am stronger and much healthier then the first time I lost weight. I enjoy logging my food and counting calories. If I slip up, that's ok. :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!