Core strengthening exercises

Options
I'm trying to find an alternative to crunches. I've just started my fitness program and can't do a proper crunch just yet. I need to build up to a crunch. Any suggestions???

Replies

• ChristaS
    ChristaS Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I can't do crunches because of neck/back problems and my Brother in Law, who is a personal trainer recommended doing planks.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Planks are great, on your hands and knees, kick your legs out alternately behind you while engaging the core, and also pelvic lifts.
  • SunshineRowe
    Options
    I was also going to say planks...really tightens that core and if you can pull it into downward dog, that is a great start.
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    womens health magazine has lots of core exercises....Crunches are hard but just trying builds muscles you need to do them.
  • Grammy54
    Grammy54 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I can't do crunches either. I have lots of problems. But I can do one thing that works very good. Hopefully I can explain it. I get on my knees then lean forward put my forearms on the floor and extend my legs. It is kind of like doing push ups only you don't use your hands and you don't move just hold your self in that position. It is harder than you think. I started out holding for 30 seconds and increased 5 seconds each day.
  • Deberlin88
    Deberlin88 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You can do reverse cruches or leg lifts. Start by lying face-up with your legs straight out. Lean back on your elbows for support, but make sure your lower back stays on the ground. For reverse cruches, you bend your knees & pull them in towards your chest. When you straighten your legs, make sure they don't touch the floor. With leg lifts, your legs will stay straight and will be elevated slightly above the floor. Then, just lift your legs straight up into the air & lower them back down slowly. Again, make sure they don't touch the floor. As a beginner, try to do 3 sets of 10 reps.

You can also do plank, which is when you are face-down and you rest your elbows on the floor with your legs straight behind you. Be careful not to raise your neck too high. Hold for as long as you can.
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Jennifer Galardi has a great standing ab exercise routine 10 minutes. Works core and very easy on the neck. See exerciseTV.com I think it cost 1.99 to down load or try it free on your cable service.