Thighs/Butt

Options
I'm naturally pear shaped, but most my weight seems to sit on bum and thigh. My goal is to get to 130lbs and I'm doing it at a good pace, however my butt and thigh just don't seem to be changing. I workout for an average of 30 minutes a day following various workout dvds, but they are only helping stomach area. Can anyone suggest exercises for losing/toning bum and thighs?

Replies

• KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! It's one thing to have a big butt, it's another to have a shapely one. OP, I have a similar situation.

Keep weight training the area (squats, glute bridges, stiff-legged deadlifts, those pilates "clams," etc.).
    After you've reached goal weight, it might still be something you want to work on, but so long as you continue to build the muscle down there, things should shape up and get tighter.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    If you are only doing core workouts then you're missing the vast majority of your body in terms of strength training. Look up Strong Curves by Bret Contreras. It's not an expensive book, but if you don't want to buy it then at least get yourself on a basic 5x5 program that incorporates squats and add some barbell hip thrusts.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you can't spot reduce... the fat will come off where it wants. What you can do is work on building muscle so when the fat does come off that area it will appear more toned/tight vs 'saggy'. Leg/Butt excercises also torch calories and may help with your fat loss goals, but keep in might that this muscle is one that grows - meaning you *may* gain an inch or 2 in the area but it will probably look better...
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I'm naturally pear shaped, but most my weight seems to sit on bum and thigh.

That's what pear-shaped means, doesn't it?

Keep going to your goal (how tall are you by the way?). I'm barely perceptively pear-shaped now I'm at goal and the other day I bought a suit and needed size 8 trousers and a size 10 jacket.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Keep eating at a deficit, incorporate lifting and maybe cycling, and things will improve. Eating at a deficit is the most important thing for losing fat, but you need to retain the muscle so make sure you're getting enough protein. Incorporate some form of strength training for that. You can build strength and retain muscle doing many different exercises; hill running, cycling, lifting, sprinting, and swimming. Or for optimal results, all of those things.
  • Mazan93
    Mazan93 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys, will definitely look into the advice you gave me.

I have nothing wrong with being pear shaped, but I don't my bum/thighs being as big as they are. If I'm destined to have big thighs/bum then I want them be firm and less flabby.
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've been there before and I'm there again now. After both of my pregnancies, I lost weight pretty quickly until the last 10-15 pounds which sat on my thighs and butt. I kept doing what I was doing, and after what seemed like an eternity it finally dropped off! You really do have to be patient, I know it's frustrating but it's just the last place you will lose weight, trust me!
  • splashtree2
    Options
    I would make an hour instead of 30 minutes, there are good video on YouTube is called Fitness Blend and besides the name is sufficient you type butt/thigh, the matter is that the food in combination with the exercises that you should make at least 4days per week play a big role, only on this way you can spot an area, and sometimes you need months, for example I wanna visible my abs and in 3 months and every day abs exercises I got rid of the exceeding fat and I will need now 3more months to have some good abs to show off, the same is for butt and thigh it gets time, forget you can shape in a month or two, just forget it!! :tongue:
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel :sad: I was convinced I was hourglass shape until I gained some weight and it all went to my butt and thighs. Seriously, I realised my butt isn't THAT big when I see Nicki Minaj vids. But still annoys me :sad: Try finding out your BMI. I know that my butt gets smaller at that weight but without noticeably decreasing my bra size. :ohwell: