IT'S JUST A GAME, FOLKS - JUST A GAME

Options
bwallace2012
bwallace2012 Posts: 37 Member
back in the olden days - sometime after inflated pig bladders were replaced by footballs made of pig skin but before the game became Big Business - football used to be a sport, a game the guys played for fun.

I taught in junior-high then, and used to stand outside monitor duty during the lunch period. the boys bolted their lunches so they could get outside and play the game. I marvelled at the way those 8th and 9th grade boys played touch football. no referees, no adult supervision, and yet they played the game. it didn't matter which team lost or won, and apparently the guys played on whichever team needed an extra player for balance. the game ended when the bell for classes rang.

there was a sign across one wall of the gym. it was a quote from Grantland Rice. "It matters not that you win or lose, but HOW you play the game."

football was thought to be character-building. it taught teamwork. it taught how to accept both victory and defeat with grace. it taught sportsmanship and fair play. it was a game.

the cheerleaders were chosen to lead cheers. they were chosen for their enthusiasm, their ability to lead. cheers, ok, but they led.

the Heroes of the game were looked up to by the rest of the students. they walked with dignity. they had pride. they were Examples for the rest, and they took that responsibility seriously. so did the coaches. so did the school.

ah, Grantland, where are ye now?

alas. the game has changed.

now we have the NFL, corporate sponsorship, buckage to be made. sheep to be led. bread and circuses.

and now the Heroes, still role models for the rest, have changed a bit, but they are still Examples - Examples of DUI car wrecks, drug abuse, spousal abuse, child abuse, animal abuse, even murder, and excesses that tax the imagination. but that's all Forgiven and Forgotten. minimal punishment. why? well, because they're Heroes. Role Models. they bring in the Buckage.

I ask why they aren't kicked off the team, why they aren't dropped by their Corporate Sponsors, why the sports fans don't rise up in rebellion against such behavior. silly question.

and the role of wimmin? gone are the cheerleaders of yore. oh, for shame! sex objects, sporting equipment. camp followers. ah, the things women do to make themselves attractive to men! worse than high heels!

ok. now back to your regularly scheduled programming. I'll leave you to your beer and velveeta dips, your team identification, your follow-the-corporate leader.

you could be outside playing a game of touch football with real people, not bowing in submission to your football-field-sized advertising machine. ....... but it's your choice.....

I'm gonna go shed a tear for Grantland.

Replies

• _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    So basically what you did here was compare Jr. High/High School football to the NFL??

I'm so damn confused.
  • breesie11
    breesie11 Posts: 3,478 Member
    Options
    I lost interest half way through.....or less
  • _SantaClause
    Options

Cliffnotes:

High school football is about the game, NFL is about the business.

No real news.
  • SugarBabyGirl
    SugarBabyGirl Posts: 7,026 Member
    Options

Cliffnotes:

No real news.

And you forgot that it's the cheerleaders who are to blame. I think....
  • _SantaClause
    Options

Cliffnotes:

No real news.

Silly me.
  • breesie11
    breesie11 Posts: 3,478 Member
    Options

Cliffnotes:

No real news.

Silly me.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

this is news? oh wait...you said it wasn't.....
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    What's wrong OP? Your blog didn't get enough attention so you had to copy and post it in the forums? Enjoy your whiny little post. I'm going to feed the football-field-sized advertising machine and watch football all day.
  • ExtremePhobia
    Options
    I remember those days, OP. At my school, it was basketball instead of football, but it was all the same. A couple of people would get outside, grab the ball, and start shooting. As each person came out, they'd join in on whichever side needed player until you had a full set. It even naturally happened that you'd end up playing 3v3 half court games because that meant you could have a second 3v3 game on the other half of the court (more people playing).

Come to Boston. Sure, not all of our stars are perfect examples, but we don't take none-o-that. They want to be crap people, they'll be gone in a heart beat.

Just remember, while you lament the Pro Footballer, there are nearly 3,000 professional NFL players. When you made your list of people with poor character, you made a list of 5ish people? And you had to go back some years to do it. In that time, the NFL has probably had about 4,000 players.

5 sour apples out of 4,000 is really not bad at all. While these are terrible crimes and they ARE examples, they are also just guys playing a game. If, for instance, you were tangled in a domestic dispute, would you lose YOUR job? (Well, probably. You're a teacher. But most people wouldn't and there wouldn't be an expectation that they should).

At the end, you really got to the heart of it. This isn't about "Men playing games and being bad examples," because why are we looking to Men playing games as examples? The problem is that we LOOK to those people for examples.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Back in my day....
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    What's wrong OP? Your blog didn't get enough attention so you had to copy and post it in the forums? Enjoy your whiny little post. I'm going to feed the football-field-sized advertising machine and watch football all day.
    I THOUGHT I read this already.

thank you for helping me realize I am not cuckoo for cocoa puffs.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Back in my day, we used to watch REAL football... and we walked thirty miles in twenty feet of snow naked to watch.

Kids these days just don't get it.
  • dllewis7
    dllewis7 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

EXTREME PHOBIA WROTE:
    Just remember, while you lament the Pro Footballer, there are nearly 3,000 professional NFL players. When you made your list of people with poor character, you made a list of 5ish people? And you had to go back some years to do it. In that time, the NFL has probably had about 4,000 players.

5 sour apples out of 4,000 is really not bad at all. While these are terrible crimes and they ARE examples, they are also just guys playing a game. If, for instance, you were tangled in a domestic dispute, would you lose YOUR job? (Well, probably. You're a teacher. But most people wouldn't and there wouldn't be an expectation that they should).

At the end, you really got to the heart of it. This isn't about "Men playing games and being bad examples," because why are we looking to Men playing games as examples? The problem is that we LOOK to those people for examples.

I like your tone, love it, but your perspective plea does not stick. You use the tools of scorekeeping and corporate balance sheets when what is called for are tools of humanity. Can't use a hammer when a scalpel is required. The football kerfuffle is about chaotic, organic, living, breathing human beings and that is where perspective is to be found.

You say as example that there are only 5 sour apples, and that leaves around 3,993 innocent of the crime bystanders? I subtracted two more from your 5 players for the 2 or so coaches and additional players that have had to stand up and say something, even if it reading from the approved legalese. That leaves in any estimation well over 99% of the football population who remain silent and therefore complicit. 99% who lend their approval to domestic violence. They are hardly innocent and neither are the ticket buyers who keep shelling out and attending the games, whether they realize it or not.,

How can parents or other adult leaders support any group that tells their daughters that they are only worth respecting as people if the perpetrators get caught? Or teaches their sons by example that strong men cannot help but be silent and violent? That's some perspective.
  • bwallace2012
    bwallace2012 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    couple of thought-provoking comments here. rest need to go back to their football games. rational thought is obviously not a team sport. and we wonder why our younger generation seems to be sinking into barbarianism.....(shrug).....so what.
  • _SantaClause
    Options
    couple of thought-provoking comments here. rest need to go back to their football games. rational thought is obviously not a team sport. and we wonder why our younger generation seems to be sinking into barbarianism.....(shrug).....so what.

6j6t9iT.gif

You still need to explain why you're comparing Jr. High/High School football to the NFL.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Just a game? You must not play Fantasy Football then.:wink:

BTW if Justin Hunter was on your 12 man fantasy roster, would you keep him or dump him. Can't decide.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Ah, yea, the good old days that never existed anywhere except in someone's poor memory.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Those were my husband's exact words last night when his team started to lose.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    These are just modern day gladiators. Ancient gladiators weren't all perfect role models either. Stop idolizing, and by extension, teaching children to idolize, the wrong people in society, and you won't be quite so apt to find disappointment. Games for games sake are great when you're a child, but as adults we should look up to those who contribute more to society than just a diversion or a spectacle. Teachers, doctors, and scientists come to mind. At least for me.
    Choose your heroes wisely.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    If, for instance, you PUNCHED YOUR WIFE IN THE FACE AND KNOCKED HER OUT COLD then dragged her around like a lifeless ragdoll, would you lose YOUR job?

Well, don't spit in someones face, and then attack them, when that someone outweighs you by 100lbs of muscle.

Did he react inappropriately? Yes. Did she? Yes.

Go up to anyone and spit in their face and attack them, see what happens.
  • dllewis7
    dllewis7 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    SonofaBeach wrote:

You still need to explain why you're comparing Jr. High/High School football to the NFL.

Me thinks the onus is on you. Where is there a better comparison to one football group not driven overtly at least by Big Buckage? Meantime, sorry to say, the only faulty analogy I see here is yours.

Funny SNL last night, spoofing the commissioner and said rightly "We Fight Women" not 4. ha!

wefightwomen_zpsf7a84194.png