What do you do when you don't want to calorie count?

Options
Ever have a day when you didn't want to count the calories?? I just felt that way this morning but here I am....I know if I didn't then I would have been completely off the bandwagon....what do you do to make you calorie count when you don't want to?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Why don't you want to?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I go to bed and cry myself to sleep
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I gain weight.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Once in awhile when I feel the need to "take a break" I'll just do portion control , only eat when hungry and stop eating when full. I'm good at keeping track of calories in my head anyway so I always have a loose tally going on. Once you really get good at counting it becomes second nature and you don't have to depend on an app so much. No biggie.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Once in awhile when I feel the need to "take a break" I'll just do portion control , only eat when hungry and stop eating when full. I'm good at keeping track of calories in my head anyway so I always have a loose tally going on. Once you really get good at counting it becomes second nature and you don't have to depend on an app so much. No biggie.

speak for yourself! :laugh:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I just don't calorie count for that day. I write down what I ate and enter it all in the evening for record keeping. Or I just quick add my personal estimation of how many calories I might have had. I actually did that today. A day off once in a while won't break your diet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't count. I eat from memory. What I know to be a roughly X calorie day.

I eat a small set of breakfasts generally. So I choose one from that.

I eat from a slightly larger set of lunches. So I choose one from that.

And then I choose wisely for dinner. Maybe eyeball a few things in the database and then go from there.

So for me, pick one of my standard "go to breakfasts", one of my standard "go to lunches", my "go to snacks" and then a dinner that roughly takes care of the remainder of the calories, or just a protein the size of a deck of cards, and some vegetables and call it good.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I just dont log that day. But I also understand that if I dont lose that week I know why. This last month was like that. Didnt lose because I was inconsistent with logging.
  • mandapanda5111
    mandapanda5111 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do it anyway. Not doing things because I don't feel like it is what got me overweight in the first place. I plan my breakfast and lunch for the week ahead of time so the only meal I have to actually record during the week is dinner.
  • Rays_Wife
    Options

So in your 3 years here and 93 pound weight loss you still haven't gotten the hang of this? I find that hard to believe...
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

I do this as well, which I think is an excellent thing to practice once in a while! I went on a vacation for a week, and of course this makes tracking near impossible. I just used my intuitive eating skills. Eat when hungry, stop when satisfied. Water only.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

So in your 3 years here and 93 pound weight loss you still haven't gotten the hang of this? I find that hard to believe...

I consistently under-eyeball portions these days. Which for a one-off day is no biggie but if I were to do it consistently would be not so great. I may have registered 3 years ago but I only really started using MFP in 2013. Some of us just don't estimate well. Kudos to you for not being one of us, I guess.
  • Rays_Wife
    Options

I consistently under-eyeball portions these days. Which for a one-off day is no biggie but if I were to do it consistently would be not so great. I may have registered 3 years ago but I only really started using MFP in 2013. Some of us just don't estimate well. Kudos to you for not being one of us, I guess.

No, I said I don't have to depend on the app SO MUCH....and I only eyeball portions SOMETIMES meaning once a month or so :laugh: Trust me I still need to weigh and measure. But once in awhile its doable like you said. I'm definitely not doing that on a regular basis, too nerve wracking!!! lol
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I count anyway
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't count my calories. I found that counting calories drove me crazy. I DO use my food scale though. I make sure that I don't eat more than a serving size at meals. Some people say that it still is a form of calorie counting and I agree to some extent. The thing is that where this is all a lifestyle change, I needed to find some way that I could manage my portions without driving me crazy. Using the food scale only is what works for me.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just don't do it and eat as I normally would. No big deal. Not counting doesn't necessarily give you a free pass to go crazy with the food you eat that day.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I gain weight.
    This happens.

Love the Bob Ross ticker, by the way!
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    w3sPrXxs.jpg
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    if i was okay with gaining the weight back
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If I don't want to count, I don't count. Sometimes I just don't feel like it and I say, "The hell with it" for a while.

But I never stop counting because I want to overeat! I don't skip logging to "cheat" on the diet without a record.. Not logging doesn't mean I'm eating cheeseburgers, French fries, ribs, fried chicken, blizzards, Oreos and cake, lol.

I'm still eating the same amounts of the same stuff. I'm just not logging it.

:)