NSV: The Salted Caramel Ice Cream Caper

Options
First of all, let's be clear: nothing on god's green earth is as good as Bi-Rite's Salted Caramel ice cream. It's smoky sweet heaven in a spoon. I very rarely bring ice cream into the house, since I do have trouble not binging on certain foods. I completely agree with people who adhere to the "don't deprive yourself" philosophy, but I had an eating disorder and part of my recovery involved introducing trigger foods into my home rather carefully. I work on dealing with my emotions without numbing myself with food, or rewarding myself with food, or stuffing away difficult feelings with french fries in a bucket of ice cream (not that there's anything wrong with french fries in ice cream).

I decided to get my favorite ice cream from Bi-Rite, renown for their hand-made ice cream, esp. the salted caramel. I've been feeling bummed about a romantic situation and also struggling a bit with PTSD from a very scary medical incident that put me in the hospital at the end of August. In the past, right before I abuse food, I would feel this sort of panicky "nownownownownow" when any kind of strong feeling would overcome me.

Well not this damn time. I brought the ice cream into the house. I had a few spoonfuls. Then I had a few more to make a half cup serving. Then I thought, "Let's eat the whole thing." Even though I was full from lunch and was satisfied, on one level, with the ice cream I had just eaten. "But I'm feeling bad, who cares? Come on, what's the use, you're going to binge on this ice cream anyway, everyone in here knows it, just do it now." Stupid sabotaging brain!

Only I didn't do it anyway. With great effort I put the ice cream back in the freezer and went about my business. And this is a huge NSV for me, because for once I didn't let my anxiety or sadness or fear run the show. Sorry kids, I'm in control now.

Replies

• rpsg0534
    Options
    That is so wonderful! Be so proud of your accomplishment!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is a win!
  • fifty6ford
    fifty6ford Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Great accomplishment!!

YOU GO GIRL!!
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Wow, good for you. I can't relate to those panicky feelings that come w/binging but I do understand how difficult it is to stop myself from eating a whole bag of Cheetos or several slices of birthday cake, lol. Saying no to yourself is tough, since there's nothing physically stopping you from doing what you want. Keep it up!
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • NoStoppingNow77
    NoStoppingNow77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the panicky feeling before the binge eating. But, I like the feeling of having the power over the food now. Good for you!
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'll have to check out the BI-Rite Salted Caramel. Talenti makes a sea salt caramel that I am obsessed with. Congrats again.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    A huge NSV!!! Woohoo!! Great job conquering that little voice, enjoying your serving and putting it away for later!! Huge!! WTG!,
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    Nice one! Salted caramel ice cream...my favourite!!! :heart: :love: :heart:
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I love salted chocolate caramels! I have a handful on a medium sized ghiradelli dark chocolate frozen yogurt with sliced almonds, and it's heavenly.
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! It's so great to be able to share these things; keeps me going on the right track.
  • oedipa_maas
    Options
    I love salted chocolate caramels! I have a handful on a medium sized ghiradelli dark chocolate frozen yogurt with sliced almonds, and it's heavenly.

Oh yum!! I've never heard of that stuff. It sounds awesome! I live in San Francisco, Ghirardelli's home base, so it must be here somewhere.
  • oedipa_maas
    Options
    Congrats! I'll have to check out the BI-Rite Salted Caramel. Talenti makes a sea salt caramel that I am obsessed with. Congrats again.

Bi-Rite is the best. You can go to their stores and get it, but Instacart will deliver from Bi-Rite if you're in SF!
  • oedipa_maas
    Options
    I totally understand the panicky feeling before the binge eating. But, I like the feeling of having the power over the food now. Good for you!

It's one of those feelings where a small part of your brain says, "You can stop this, you know," and the panicky part refuses to listen. I'm so glad you too are experiencing some power over food. It's pretty novel for me. I almost hate writing about it, for fear I'll jinx myself.
  • markrichtsspraytan
    Options
    That is awesome! What I try to do with food like that is challenge myself to make it last at least as many days as there are servings in the container. I bought a bag of Mint M&Ms on Monday in which there are 5 servings. Today, I still have some left, which means I ate a serving or less per day. It's a helpful way for me to make sure I don't binge on anything.
  • NoStoppingNow77
    Options

It's one of those feelings where a small part of your brain says, "You can stop this, you know," and the panicky part refuses to listen. I'm so glad you too are experiencing some power over food. It's pretty novel for me. I almost hate writing about it, for fear I'll jinx myself.

I started MFP over again a month ago and I've been good every day since except for ONE DAY where I kinda pigged out on junk. But then I worked off the calories later that day. I haven't been back there since. Because I came to the realization that it just wasn't worth it. But OMG do I know that mode....like, i'm going to eat this entire kitchen and it'll be total and utter bliss. And ya know what it is...until the damn guilt kicks in after I'm done.
  • NoStoppingNow77
    Options
    I bought a bag of candy corn last week and I'm allowing myself 19 little pieces a day...which is a serving I guess. Who knew? After all these years I never cared to know that while I was eating handfuls at once.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Fantastic achievement, well done you; an important mental health victory as well as a NSV!

(Also, fries dipped in ice cream is totally yummy.)
  • meltedkeys
    meltedkeys Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    that is a big deal! so proud!
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Huge NSV!
    Sometimes half the battle is recognizing why we eat the things we do.
    Then giving ourselves permission to eat reasonable amounts of the foods we like.
    Way to Go!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!