is it okay to exercise mornings on empty stomach?

Options
Sometimes I go a spinning class at 8am... is it okay to do spinning in empty stomach?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yes. It is fine. Do what works for you -- there are no rules about this kind of stuff.
  • browndog1410
    Options
    Exercising on an empty stomach is believed to be an excellent way towards weight loss and even lean muscle gain. If you want to know more search for 'Leangains'. Many of the traditional theories about the importance of eating before training are challenged by the author, Martin Berkhan.
  • tracymaskew
    tracymaskew Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do insanity at the gym at 6.30am. I just grab a banana and eat it on the way. Just gives me a little more energy. Try it, it might help with your spinning class xx
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Yes it's fine if you feel fine and perform fine.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I cannot exercise with any food in my stomach, so the mornings are better for me.
  • funfitfreeme
    funfitfreeme Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I like doing morning cardio before eating too. Have you tried a green drink? I'll usually drink one on the way to and during the 1st half of Spin class, then I switch to my water.

The drink is mostly water with a half scoop of a Green Veggie Powder and a little unsweetened apple juice for taste. It seems to give me an energy boost (but maybe that's just in my mind - LOL :smile:
  • blackgirlfat
    Options
    Sure, why not?!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If prefer to, then yes.

Dizziness/exhaustion or lack of normal performance are red flags that it might not be for you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I do insanity at the gym at 6.30am. I just grab a banana and eat it on the way. Just gives me a little more energy. Try it, it might help with your spinning class xx
    That didn't answer her question though. If you eat before, then it's not training on an empty stomach.

To the OP, it's fine for many. Personally myself, I train fasted in the morning. As mentioned, if you get shakes, dizzy, etc. then it's probably not for you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I like doing morning cardio before eating too. Have you tried a green drink? I'll usually drink one on the way to and during the 1st half of Spin class, then I switch to my water.

The drink is mostly water with a half scoop of a Green Veggie Powder and a little unsweetened apple juice for taste. It seems to give me an energy boost (but maybe that's just in my mind - LOL :smile:
    Not an empty stomach then. You had carbs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I do empty stomach cardio, but feel I can't ever lift on an empty stomach. I preform cardio best w/o food, weights I do better with a light 100 cal snack.
  • jimmy28
    jimmy28 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out on an empty stomach. It seems perfectly fine for me as long as I'm not crazy hungry to start with. If so, I do the weak, shaky stuff being on diabetic medicine. If you find that you have that problem like me, I still only need something really tiny like no more than 4 carbs and a little protein to prevent it. I'll usually eat a 1/2 oz of almonds or cheese about 15 mins prior and it takes care of that issue.
  • JtKeil
    JtKeil Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I have a black coffee before my morning workout. I feel slugish if I eat beforehand or end up getting a stitch.
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I can do it fine, but others feel sick.
  • Screwedntattooed
    Screwedntattooed Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    The short answer, yes it's fine
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have no choice but to exercise on an empty stomach. It seems that when I eat anything at all before I go for my morning run, even if it's a good hour before, a side stitch is guaranteed. Not a mild one either, a painful, debilitating one. I think that as long as you are eating enough during the day, and at dinner the night before, you should have the energy to perform. I perform just as well in the morning on an empty stomach as I do when I run in the evening after work and before dinner (3-4 hours after lunch, long after any food is digested and thus can't give me a side-stitch)
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I tried to do my workouts on an empty stomach, but it didn't really work for me. I would get pretty light headed, and I feel my performance suffered. But eating a normal size meal would give me cramps. So I have my coffee first thing, along with at least one glass of plain water, and something light like a greek yogurt or granola bar.

See how you do and make adjustments. It took me all summer to figure out what worked best for me
  • Runcakes
    Runcakes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Perfectly fine as long as you have the energy!
  • NaRmI10
    NaRmI10 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone... this is helpful.. :)