On average how much weight do you lose in a week??

Options
On average how much weight do you lose in a week? This is my 3rd full week of my diet and I lost 5lbs the first week, 3lbs the second week, and only 1lb this week. I'm very confused because I haven't cheated, I drink 64oz of water everyday, I'm UNDER my calories everyday, and I've been exercising too. How is it I only lost 1lb for an entire week?!?! Please help!!!!

Replies

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    .5 to 1 lb is considered safe.

You lost more your first and 2nd weeks because people lose water weight first when they diet. 2 lbs per week is also generally considered the maximum for 'safe' and healthy.

Besides, you've lost 9 lbs total in 3 weeks, that's still excellent :)
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My avarage loss was 0.75kg, (1 and a half pounds).
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way. The first week you lost two pounds from having less in your stomach, two pounds from water weight , and a pound of fat. The second week you lost two more pounds of water still clinging to you and a pound of fat. Week three you had already expelled the water weight so you didn't lose more, but you still lost a pound of fat.

Losing a pound each week is great progress and a healthy way to do it. You can't expect to lose years of weight can in a few weeks. Look at your exercise as your way of building a new, healthy lifestyle and not as a vehicle for losing weight as fast as possible. Keep doing what you are doing- the weight loss adds up pretty quick once you find your groove!
  • FemWeight
    Options
    .5 to 1 lb is considered safe.

You lost more your first and 2nd weeks because people lose water weight first when they diet. 2 lbs per week is also generally considered the maximum for 'safe' and healthy.

Besides, you've lost 9 lbs total in 3 weeks, that's still excellent :)

I agree your body loses weight fast the times you change your diet up. I've noticed now almost been a week I'm now just losing 1to 2 pds a week max lol Depending on if I cut my calories lower than MFP has me go but I always stay in the 1200 :)
  • Oxmarqt
    Oxmarqt Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The first 10 weeks I averaged 2.9lbs lost per. I am currently 9 days into no loss and 1.2 gain. Exercise every other day minimum, cardio. and Stronglifts 5x5. Averaging 2203cal consumed and 3303cal burned for the last 9 days.

Weight loss is not linear. I fully expect to see a pretty good drop over the next few days. It is all about the averages as frustrating as that sounds. Just keep the numbers IN and OUT right and it will happen***

Be sure to take measurements and recheck them regularly also. You can, and will, see measurements change but not necessarily scale weight. I also have a tshirt that is a little too small that I try on once a week or so to see how it looks. Surprising the difference.

***Assuming you have no prior diagnosed or undiagnosed medical condition. :)
  • tinat6848
    Options
    Thank you SO much everyone!! I was really worried and I was starting to think that I was doing something wrong. I'm new to dieting and I need to lose 95lbs to be at my "suggested weight". I will definitely keep on keeping on and working my butt off. Hahaha. I just hope next weekend will be a better weigh-in for me. There's just so many things I don't understand yet but I will continue and I will get to my goal!! ????????????
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    At first, i was shedding pounds like maybe 3 lbs a week. Now it's maybe a lbs, or a pound and a half.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I have never lost more than 2 lb in a week even in my first month. While using MFP I lost almost my *exact* setting of 1.5 lb per week for about the first year and 65-70 lb, then it slowed a bit and I reset to 1 lb per week and lost about 0.5 lb per week for several months. Now that I am close to my goal, I lose less than or approximately 1 lb per month and I'm okay with that because I'd rather ease into maintenance slowly.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Asking about the "average" loss each week is going to give you very different answers than the "range" of loss each week.

Over the long term, my rate of loss averaged out to 0.45 kg (1.0 lb) a week. I am now at maintenance, so there's no current loss to speak of. But, if you look at the changes on the scale compared to the previous week, the range of loss paints a very different picture.

My end of week numbers fell within the following range:
    Up 1.4 kg (3.1 lbs)
    Down 2.8 kg (6.2 lbs)

There were multiple times when there would be weeks of almost no change. The simple fact is that weight loss is a long-term thing. Track, of course, but understand that even a week is a short period of time when it comes to this.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I've lost anywhere from 4/ 5 lbs in a week, to just a single pound a week, or even one week where there was no change. In all this time, my calorie deficit, intake and exercise were all consistent. If your methods are consistent, don't sweat it, just acknowledge the weight is most likely being lost, but your body just hasn't gotten the memo yet, and in all likelihood is holding onto water (water which it will eventually release).

Also remember, the weight loss at the start of a dieting programme is in large part water loss, so what you lose during this period should not be taken as typical.

So, bottom line, if you're confident you're eating what you think you're eating, you're recording your exercise properly, and you're generally on point with your programme, just relax and don't obsess about the scale, as if your weight loss is like most of us, it's most definitely not linear. It should all balance out if you let it. If it doesn't, tweak a few things gently, but only after you give it a couple of weeks, and only make controlled changes & not panic and dump/ change a lot of stuff that has been working.

Hope this helps, and if you're anything like me, or perhaps most dieters, we need a few wins to get real confidence in what we're doing fully :)
  • lisam191
    Options
    I usually only lose 1lb per week, sometimes only half a pound.. That is through diet alone, i don't exercise as i'm still in the recovery stages of a car accident. I'm sure i would lose weight quicker if i exercised. My weight loss is very slow, but as long as i am not gaining weight i don't mind :).
  • M3Kindschi
    M3Kindschi Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've only been losing .5 ibs/week-IF I'm lucky! Slow and steady wins the race! At least that's what I tell myself!!! :)
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Yes, don't worry. It'll be different each week!

You might want to up your water intake :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Last few weeks

Week 1 down 3
    Week 2 down 1
    Week 3 stayed the same
    Week 4 up 1

2 days after week 4 weigh in ...I'm down another 2

So over these 4 weeks I'm down 5

It's the way it goes, I'm eating to lose 1 a week...I exercise, some weeks I get DOMS and associated water retention; don't drink adequately so water retention or my hormones are wacky so water retention

Weight fluctuates
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Too many variables to consider, to give a 'average' that applies for everyone.

When I was super overweight, I averaged well over 2lbs a week the first few months. Then it slowed down to .5 to 1 lb a week once I got down closer to my ideal weight @ 10% bodyfat.

1lb a week I have found is maintainable, long term and consistently. Which is a -500 caloric deficit per day.
  • infomancer
    infomancer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    So far, I've averaged 1.2 pounds per week, but I've only been playing for 10 weeks, so my data set is limited.

I'm losing a tiny bit faster than I had intended, but not enough so that I'm concerned. Anyway, winter is coming and I don't know yet if my activity level will go down. I hear that the city grooms the pedestrian trail system for winter walking and/or snowshoeing, but I wasn't inspired to try it past years, so I don't know if I'll find them walkable. (I sometimes have difficulties with the combination of ice and gravity :happy: )
  • LarissaBienMiller
    Options
    I have finally given myself permission to accept that weight loss - even when sticking to a really good plan -will stop and start.

Finally, I don't get wound up about not losing every single day or even a bit up and down from one week to the next.

I really love to go to 'Reports' in this app and then choose the 90-, 180-day or even whole year look back. When you see the overall trend DOWN you realize that this is weight loss over time - for all time - not just a day here and there.

Eat all of your calories and give yourself permission to settle into a life long habit of good eating all the foods you like not just a quick fix.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Getting close to goal. The last 22 weeks I've lost .46 lb a week on average.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I lose 1-3 pounds per week, but everyone loses differently. Don't give up!
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Progress is progress! And as someone else mentioned...as long as there wasnt a gain, then thats still a good thing.

I lost about 5lbs my first week. Even though I *know* that was all water weight, it still was a bummer to see I only lost 2lbs the next week, and now in my third week, as of this morning, another 2lbs. But I also *know* that is amazing progress.. There is no way I could continue to lose 5lbs a week...but I've continued to lose.

I also know, like others mentioned here, that my loss will slow down as I get closer to my goal. Even though rationally I understand why and how, I still need to mentally prepare myself for that so that I dont end up getting discouraged. But still, in my heart, I know that as long as I dont give up, and keep positive, celebrate the success of any loss, celebrate the success of not gaining, and well, just celebrate being able to stick to this and keep going, then I will reach goal.

So don't stress yourself out! That raises cortisone levels lol Just be patient...the first month will be your highest rate of loss, and then its all downhill (in a good way!!!) from there.